• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    Twilight: New Moon
    cheesy Saw this on a site like youtube. What an atrocious piece of cr@p! There's nothing remotely interesting by way of story or action. Stuff happens and everybody sulks routinely. I saw it only for the score and its context. There were too many pop songs during the 1st half of the film. It took about 55 min for a decently noticeable theme to appear. dizzy

You're brave. I give you that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cube

Not the best actors, but semi-original idea and some gruesome deaths and scary athmosphere. It's actually pretty entertaining and well-made throughout. The athmosphere is great, with the bizarre and colourful rooms and the mechanical noises heard in the background [spoiler]when the rooms move to different positions[/spoiler].

Rated it 6 out of 10 on imdb.

Cube 2: Hybercube

I have this weird compulsion that when I start watching a movie I must see it through to the end, and after 32 years I've never switched off a movie half-way through... until now. This movie was so intensely bad that I just couldn't watch another second. Not only were the actors even worse than in the last movie, but they behaved like the whole thing was a joke. They made ridiculously poor jokes, and behaved in ways that made no sense. The worst was an old, senile woman, whose character was so idiotic and misplaced that I cringed every time she had a line. In the original "Cube" the traps were gruesome and scary, in this one they all consisted of crappy CGI, making it entirely unscary.

Rated it 1 out of 10 on imdb.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved the first Cube.
    It was new, it was different (in a way. At its heart of course was still the "haunted house" setting of protagonists on a threatening, confined space, making for good drama) and the surreal horror and extremely tense atmosphere really drew me in.

Any of the sequels were awful. Just awful.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Loved the first Cube too. I was shocked after watching it back in 1997. Original, tense, well shot and edited,....great film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Grace Is Gone

I had known nothing of this movie before I watched it so I was really pleasantly surprised. A very simple, but deeply touching movie with a brilliant John Cusack and fantastic performance by two children.
    It is a story of a man whose wife was a soldier in Iraq and was killed. He doesn't know how to tell it to his two daughters so he takes them to a trip to Florida to let them have a last happy day and to gather the strenght to tell them the terrible news.
    I have always loved simple but emotional human stories such as this one. It was really hard to hold back my tears at the end of the film - but I had to because I watched it with my girlfriend...
    One more thing: the music was written by Clint Eastwood and I think it's been his most memorable score up to date. It really fits the movie like a glove.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Grace Is Gone

I had known nothing of this movie before I watched it so I was really pleasantly surprised. A very simple, but deeply touching movie with a brilliant John Cusack and fantastic performance by two children.
    It is a story of a man whose wife was a soldier in Iraq and was killed. He doesn't know how to tell it to his two daughters so he takes them to a trip to Florida to let them have a last happy day and to gather the strenght to tell them the terrible news.
    I have always loved simple but emotional human stories such as this one. It was really hard to hold back my tears at the end of the film - but I had to because I watched it with my girlfriend...
    One more thing: the music was written by Clint Eastwood and I think it's been his most memorable score up to date. It really fits the movie like a glove.

I saw that too, great movie, very sentimental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    I loved the first Cube.
    It was new, it was different (in a way. At its heart of course was still the "haunted house" setting of protagonists on a threatening, confined space, making for good drama) and the surreal horror and extremely tense atmosphere really drew me in.

Any of the sequels were awful. Just awful.

Marselus wrote
    Loved the first Cube too. I was shocked after watching it back in 1997. Original, tense, well shot and edited,....great film.

beer

Martijn, I have the DVD with the third Cube. Is it as bad as Cube 2? Perhaps I shouldn't see it then...

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it is watchable.
    But I recommend being drunk.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Gotcha.

Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Well, it is watchable.
    But I recommend being drunk.

As in rather than watching the film? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, no. I actually meant during.
    But you're right: 'instead of' is eminently preferable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're a wise man. A true gentleman and scholar!
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm sure Thomas was being sarcastic.

hell ya, absolute nonsense 0,5 stars (because I couldn't rate it any lower cry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Gamer isn't crappy in my eyes, 5/10 is the middle ground IMO, as is three stars.

If you count from 0 to 10, then 5 out of 10 is indeed middle ground:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

But then you'd have to also use that logic with 5 star rating too. So 2.5 out of 5 becomes middle ground:

0 1 2 2.5 3 4 5

But if you don't count the 0, then middle ground becomes 5.5 out 10:

1 2 3 4 5 5.5 6 7 8 9 10

And, of course:

1 2 3 4 5

So make your mind up, you can't use both. (Well, I suppose you can. But you'd have to specify whether you count the 0 each time. wink)

This seemed like a more appropriate use of my time than work on my coursework.

shocked

dizzy

applause

8/10 for making me laugh !!!! biggrin

Dude you got me there. I shall from now on never ever use my shitty rating system ever again on this board. In fact I just now erased that poorly written subroutine from my malfunctioning brain.

It's gone, you dig? tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. My copy of The Shining arrived today. Looking forward to seeing this one (and hearing Kubrick's music placement.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Stupid. So fucking stupid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

That good eh!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

That good eh!?

I watched it with a bunch of friends last night and it was like being pinned to the ground while an angry dishwasher vomited in my face for two and a half hours.

And it's boring. Unbelievably boring. At any given moment, only 17% of what you're watching is real, and you know it. You're not immersed in the slightest. At best you're impressed by the rendering of CG smoke plumes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn! You just know it's bad bad when it's still crap even watching it with friends. Watching bad movies with friends can be a great laugh.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The good thing about the whole film is THIS particular shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...ONLY good thing I should say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    Cube Zero

While infinitely superior to Cube 2: Hypercube, it's also infinitely inferior to Cube. Luckily it was back to the gritty and bloody rooms from the first movie, and the characters weren't as exceedingly annoying as in Hypercube, but the story kinda sucked. It had an amusing, eccentric and grotesque bad guy though, which was a surprise considering that it was a movie with completely unknown actors.

I rate them:
    Cube: 7 out of 10
    Cube 2: Hypercube: 1 out of 10
    Cube Zero: 4 out of 10

The last sin eater

This is a christian movie, by christians and for christians, with a christian subject and message. But as an atheist I still enjoyed it and found it emotionally affecting (though sometimes the emotional manipulation was a bit too obvious). I thought it was beautiful, sad, very well made and acted. I watched the movie because of McKenzie's excellent score, and it was great to hear it in its intended context. Nearly all the score in the movie had made its way onto the CD, except for some dramatic tension music here and there.

I've rated it 6 out of 10 on imdb.

Shaun of the dead

Comedy horror at its finest. It's very english, with alot of tea drinking going on, in the midst of zombie mayhem. What I find funniest and most brilliant about this movie is the time it takes for the main character, and his idiot sidekick to realize that there's a zombie outbreak going on. They are blissfully unaware, while the viewer is slowly being introduced to what is going on. It's just so brilliantly made I can't explain it.

The actors are all great (I especially loved the sidekick and the mom) and the dialogue is so well written that there's not a single dull moment. The movie gets a bit darker towards the end, but that's to be expected I guess.

I've rated it 8 out of 10 on imdb.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

WOW! shocked lick

...and the girl isn't bad either wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Darn! You just know it's bad bad when it's still crap even watching it with friends. Watching bad movies with friends can be a great laugh.

Well, that's true, but I was less than enthusiastic after my first viewing of the film rendered my senses completely useless. Plus I was tired.

(And we had no beer)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote

Yes, oh yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote

That's one fine leg.

Peter lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    LSH wrote

Indeed. Fucking stupid, and immensely entertaining.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damn.
  4. plindboe wrote
    Shaun of the dead

Comedy horror at its finest. It's very english, with alot of tea drinking going on, in the midst of zombie mayhem. What I find funniest and most brilliant about this movie is the time it takes for the main character, and his idiot sidekick to realize that there's a zombie outbreak going on. They are blissfully unaware, while the viewer is slowly being introduced to what is going on. It's just so brilliantly made I can't explain it.

The actors are all great (I especially loved the sidekick and the mom) and the dialogue is so well written that there's not a single dull moment. The movie gets a bit darker towards the end, but that's to be expected I guess.

I've rated it 8 out of 10 on imdb.

Peter smile

A cool zombie flick, more outrageously funny then horrific, leave it to the Brits to make em like that. And the parts you mentioned you liked, I like those too.

As for American zombie parodies, Zombieland looks like a total riot too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.