• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

 
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Southall wrote
    I've seen it 20+ times and still laugh out loud. It just fits in so well with my sense of what's funny.


    It's geniusly hilarious and the mother of all parodies of course. I love every single bit of it, and i have to admit nostalgia plays a bit of her part too, at least for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I get far more laughs from sitcoms than I do from movies. How I Met Your Mother is my favourite sitcom at the moment.




    How I Met Your Mother had a great first season but I think it went all down hill after that. It's trying too hard to be funny. However, the sitcom that I love the most is the one that comes right after How I Met Your Mother... The Big Bang Theory. But that show is also struggling to match its witty first season.

    -Erik-


    True that. I fell in love with How I Met Your Mother because of that first season and I've come to like the characters. Still some really funny material in the later seasons, but the first season was and still is the best.

    I even bought a suit because of that show. shame


    Is it good? I am currently in LOVE with BIG BANG THEORY. Are you watching this Steven? I'd imagine it's pretty much suited to you.

    I am watching EDGE OF DARKNESS tonight at the cinema, in hope of perhaps understanding the score a bit more for a review, if i find the time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    You calling me a geek? angry

    (Yeah, I do enjoy it. wink

    I think How I Met Your Mother would be well suited to you in fact. Especially Barney.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Just finished season two of Life On Mars.

    Shit.
    You weren't kidding when you said it'd be a heartbreaker, Timmer. sad


    One of my favourite endings to a TV show ever. It hurts, but it stays in your head, and kind of rings true. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Same top three as me, then!


    You have an exquisite taste in comedy.

    Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    One of my favourite endings to a TV show ever. It hurts, but it stays in your head, and kind of rings true. sad

    Absolutely agree on all four points.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    One of my favourite endings to a TV show ever. It hurts, but it stays in your head, and kind of rings true. sad

    Absolutely agree on all four points.


    Actually one thing I really like is the way the song 'Life on Mars' plays in the background as Sam makes his final choice.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    I frigging hated it.
    But in a good way, if you know what I mean.
    It made it so inevitable.

    Damn. This one is gonna stick with me for some time.
    This song used to leave me absolutely cold.
    No more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Me too (re: the song used to leave me cold). (Although I also liked its use in THE LIFE AQUATIC.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Just finished season two of Life On Mars.

    Shit.
    You weren't kidding when you said it'd be a heartbreaker, Timmer. sad


    Absolutely loved that show. I'd love to give another watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    ^^

    Thank Christ, it's on Youtube. Just watched the first episode - bloody love it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Brannigan

    This is one of those John Wayne movies that I hadn't seen before so I was glad to catch it on TV last night. But my joy didn't last long: it was a silly and boring action/crime movie, the only good thing in it was John Wayne itself. His charisma kind of saved most of the scenes even though he was rather old and even sick when it was made. Still, I wouldn't recommend this movie for anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Steven wrote
    You calling me a geek? angry

    (Yeah, I do enjoy it. wink

    I think How I Met Your Mother would be well suited to you in fact. Especially Barney.


    Will check it out!

    I absolutely adore THE BIG BANG THEORY, i am halfway down the third season and i'll really miss it when it runs out!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    LSH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Just finished season two of Life On Mars.

    Shit.
    You weren't kidding when you said it'd be a heartbreaker, Timmer. sad


    Absolutely loved that show. I'd love to give another watch.


    What' is it about?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    EDGE OF DARKNESS

    A glorified lethal weapon instalment. As for Howard Shore's scores, i really find it very difficult to understand the way he approaches films during the last couple of years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Under Fire

    I'd forgotten how good this is. Very well-made political thriller. I'd also forgotten how different the score in the film is compared with the CD - there's so much in the film which isn't on the album and so much on the album which isn't in the film (including two of the best cues, "Bajo Fuego" and "The Fall of Managua"). Does anyone have the FSM CD? If so, do the liner notes explain what happened? I've always wondered. In any case, the music's magnificent. The album's probably my favourite (and certainly my most-played) soundtrack album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    EDGE OF DARKNESS

    A glorified lethal weapon instalment. As for Howard Shore's scores, i really find it very difficult to understand the way he approaches films during the last couple of years.

    Care to elaborate on Shore´s statement please?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    I don't know whether the director pushed him that way, but the score came along as confused, not knowing exactly what direction to follow at each scene and it didn't seem to have a strong personality (whatever that might be, i don't imply it should necessarily be thematic - driven or traditional or anything, but whatever musical direction he did choose, he didn't support it boldly enough). It wasn't subtle either; the kind of music that elegantly underlines scenes without intervening much, it wasn't like that. It mostly seemed like an undecided and shy musical accompaniment that wasn't too sure of what it was doing. In the movie it goes completely unnoticed (and it's buried, mixed very low) except for the final scene which is basically very much near Thomas Newman territories with minimalistic fragile piano lines, and not exactly Shore-isms. It feels like Shore's pretty much out of his league with the movies he chooses to score these days, or maybe his mind is somewhere else? Concert music perhaps? Don't know.

    n.p. ADRIAN JOHNSTON - all the king's men

    Somebody give this man more to score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't know whether the director pushed him that way, but the score came along as confused, not knowing exactly what direction to follow at each scene and it didn't seem to have a strong personality (whatever that might be, i don't imply it should necessarily be thematic - driven or traditional or anything, but whatever musical direction he did choose, he didn't support it boldly enough). It wasn't subtle either; the kind of music that elegantly underlines scenes without intervening much, it wasn't like that. It mostly seemed like an undecided and shy musical accompaniment that wasn't too sure of what it was doing. In the movie it goes completely unnoticed (and it's buried, mixed very low) except for the final scene which is basically very much near Thomas Newman territories with minimalistic fragile piano lines, and not exactly Shore-isms.

    Aha, I see. A movie I was planning to watch. I´ll pay attention to the score, now I´m interested.

    Christodoulides wrote
    It feels like Shore's pretty much out of his league with the movies he chooses to score these days, or maybe his mind is somewhere else? Concert music perhaps? Don't know.

    INDEED
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    I got a bit caught up in the post-LOTR Shore euphoria and I do like some of his music in this period, but I'm not sure he's such a great film composer. My favourite album of his post-LOTR is The Aviator but that makes no impact on the film at all. His music tends to be so turgid and colourless, especially in the thrillers (which is virtually all he scores). There's never much change of pace or flavour (I watched Eastern Promises recently and at first was struck by how well the theme worked - but then it appears over and over and over and over, maybe with subtle changes in its precise construction, but never any real variance from the same harmonic structure, it ends up just being irritating). The same thing is true to an extent even in LOTR (he doesn't actually DO anything with any of the themes, just restates them, but is rescued by virtue of there being so many of them - so it's only a small problem there).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Eastern Promises had a great theme. Edge of darkness has none.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    Don´t forget that before LOTR, Shore was the guy doing all those weird David Cronenberg films and bland action / comedies. LOTR is the exception to the rule.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    EDGE OF DARKNESS

    A glorified lethal weapon instalment. As for Howard Shore's scores, i really find it very difficult to understand the way he approaches films during the last couple of years.


    In that case the film bares very little to no resemblance to the classic TV series ( which was scored by Michael Kamen & Eric Clapton ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    This is exactly why the soundtrack community was up in arms when they heard the final choice was Shore (with moths of speculation that it might have gone to Kilar): "Oh no! NOT that weird, dark Cronenvberg guy!"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    'moths of speculation'....sounds sinister and creepy. freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Then I'm sure D. should like it. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    EDGE OF DARKNESS

    A glorified lethal weapon instalment.


    Really? From the trailer and the synopsis, the only thing this looks like it has in common in with Lethal Weapon is Mel Gibson?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    The whole movie is very serious (and slow at places), the ending changes dramatically into standard hollywood fair.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Not quite a 'glorified Lethal weapon' then?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Well, you'll understand (or not) when you watch it. I can't really say much more without giving away too much. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.