• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

What about scores? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anybody else watch Newswipe with Charlie Brooker? New six part series, excellent! punk biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Anybody else watch Newswipe with Charlie Brooker? New six part series, excellent! punk biggrin

Nope!

Move along. Nothing to see here!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

Hopefully, you're not new to Charlie Brooker?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote
    The Book of Eli

I was very curious about this movie when I had heard what it was about. I watched it at the weekend and I was not disappointed at all.
    Sure, it you could spot many other movies (post-apocalyptic movies) in the story, the main storyline of the book made it unique. The visuals were stunning and Denzel had his charisma with him as always.
    The twist at the end was really surprising, even though it made some scenes before a bit unbelievable.
    I also loved that even it was a mainstream movie it handled faith with reverence, for a change.

Just saw it too. Did you notice that the bald bad guy was whistling "Cockeye's song" from "Once upon a time in America"? I thought that was very cool.

That said, I thought the movie was ok, but nothing special. Denzel is always a joy to watch and he carried the movie. I also like that the bad guy didn't end up dying a horrific death, which happens in 99,99% of Hollywood movies. Being alive, with a Bible he can't read, was a better punishment.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hopefully, you're not new to Charlie Brooker?

Not at all. Loved his Screenwipe too. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Fantastic, he's brilliant. cool
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Agreed in part. The experience is a bit fragmented and not what the director wants from the audience. But it's just one step better than stopping the movie entirely and not watching the remainder.

Or, watch a better movie instead wink

why comment on a movie, if you haven't seen it?
    perhaps it is better than you think?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

What about scores? wink

ow please, don't get me started on that smile
    I've heard lots of crap, I just don't want to put the time nor effort in them to review them
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Agreed in part. The experience is a bit fragmented and not what the director wants from the audience. But it's just one step better than stopping the movie entirely and not watching the remainder.

Or, watch a better movie instead wink

why comment on a movie, if you haven't seen it?
    perhaps it is better than you think?

I am talking generally, not for MARTYRS which i have zero interest in. My point, based on the previous discussions i was quoting, was that if a movie makes me want to stop it 1,2 or 3 times and continue viewing on another time and day, then it's probably not worth it all in all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

What about scores? wink

ow please, don't get me started on that smile
    I've heard lots of crap, I just don't want to put the time nor effort in them to review them

But, but...you do review crap too? confused wink That's my point tongue
  4. Christodoulides wrote

it depends, sometimes I just want to write a shitty review of a shitty score, other times I just don't want to. I'm sure someday I'll post something like that, so be patient smile
  5. I believe reviewing shitty music can be more fulfilling than the other way around. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    I believe reviewing shitty music can be more fulfilling than the other way around. tongue

you know, sometimes it is, I'll promise to do my best to review one absolutely lousy score for next week

I just have to go my selection to pick one title smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    Righteous Kill

Mediocre. As every review noted, the only notable feature is the fact that it stars De Niro and Pacino, both of whom are fine but it's just quite dull. There were far more interesting episodes of NYPD Blue. Ed Shearmur's score is also very mediocre.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Righteous Kill

Mediocre. As every review noted, the only notable feature is the fact that it stars De Niro and Pacino, both of whom are fine but it's just quite dull. There were far more interesting episodes of NYPD Blue. Ed Shearmur's score is also very mediocre.

These two should have starred together years ago and I mean way before Heat.

Whatta waste as Ian Dury once said.
  7. Shame the De Niro - Pacino coupling doesn't pay off like in Heat, which a true masterpiece IMO. I saw it again last week and I'm in awe by the impact it leaves due to the intelligent script and brilliant acting and totally mesmerised by the atmosphere Michael Mann created due to the editing, cinematography and the music. I love the soundtrack in the film, but I've never gotten around to actually getting the soundtrack album... I guess it won't do as much to me outside of the film as it does inside.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

it depends, sometimes I just want to write a shitty review of a shitty score, other times I just don't want to. I'm sure someday I'll post something like that, so be patient smile

You already did with the Tyler Bates scores, that's why i said you already reviewed crap wink tongue
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You already did with the Tyler Bates scores, that's why i said you already reviewed crap wink tongue

man, why always pick on Bates? confused he deserves much more respect angry
    that's why I'm going to support him even more, he may only have one fan, but I'm sticking with him smile

speaking of crap, I've got a nice little score coming next week that truly defies the word CRAP cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Saw on Youtube...

The Hot Chick
    A combination of groan + facepalm + fun. Thanks to an ancient Egyptian curse, Rob Schneider and Rachel McAdams exchange bodies. dizzy

The Incredibles
    Always entertaining no matter how many times you watch this one. The best Pixar film!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope you didn't watch The Incredibles on Youtube. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the incredibles on youtube confused Damn, man.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anybody else watch Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe? (all the episodes are available on YouTube).

It's hilarious. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

LOL! I know. I know. But when you're bored on a lazy weekend and want to watch something before dozing off then youtube isn't a bad bet. Although I must admit that this was only my 2nd time watching it. The first time was on a lousy, paid online rental from Movielink many years ago, so it's a much improved watch. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Anthony wrote
    Does anybody else watch Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe? (all the episodes are available on YouTube).

It's hilarious. biggrin

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

LOL! I know. I know. But when you're bored on a lazy weekend and want to watch something before dozing off then youtube isn't a bad bet. Although I must admit that this was only my 2nd time watching it. The first time was on a lousy, paid online rental from Movielink many years ago, so it's a much improved watch. spin

2 words:

1.rapidshare
    2.download

equals great quality.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote

It's hilarious. biggrin

Yes! Me n' Lee mention this a few posts back. Excellent it is too! punk

New series just started, do keep up. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    He's such a cynical git...like me! Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A couple of good friends of mine are starting a comparable show in The Netherlands (or at least something very much based on it). I almost got screen-tested for it, but it fell through. sad
    I have been invited to help write on it, but to be honest I haven't seen any of Brooker's work yet (and I have been a little too busy to get really into it).

Maybe I should give it a go one of these days?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    This week I've been catching up on some fairly recent films:

The Hurt Locker

For a film constructed out of little more than a series of set-pieces, this truly is one stunning example of gripping and edgy cinema. Tense, thought-provoking and utterly exhausting; it may seem trite to say so, but not since the opening of Saving Private Ryan has a war movie made you feel so much a part of the battle.

4/5

Public Enemies

This superstar crime thriller emerges as something surprising, fascinating and technically dazzling. In classic Michael Mann style, its gun battles erupt with sudden, visceral force and Cotillard and Depp's impossible love story gives the film its touching, tragic heartbeat. Recommended.

4/5

Moon

For a science-fiction feature, its scale is small but its ideas - about being human - are huge. Suspenseful, intelligent, impeccably acted by Sam Rockwell and elegantly directed. Superb stuff.

4/5