Categories
Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.
[Closed] Recent Viewing Part III
-
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Southall wrote
Now, what I can't really remember is what the old model effects looked like - they may have looked even worse, I guess? But even if so, that's part of the charm.
I seem to remember the very early episodes having shots of planet shots that consisted seemingly of round-ish lumps of clay spinning at insane speeds.
That wasn't charming. That was just odd.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorNautilus
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
The Hurt Locker
Another Overrated movie. It's ok. Sometimes is even good. Perhaps my problem is I don't see anything special on this "documentary" styled movies. or perhaps because I don't like the movies without a main plot.
I like Bigelow. She is a strong filmaker. But this movie is not to win an award, specially if the other candidate spent 15 years of his life making a really BIG movie.
If you want award a war movie, then back in time and give the Oscar to Ridley Scott and one of his masterpieces: Black Hawk Down.
About the music....better I don't say anything. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Nautilus wrote
But this movie is not to win an award, specially if the other candidate spent 15 years of his life making a really BIG movie.
Bigger isn't better.
For Avatar to have won Best Film would have been a major dilution of the concept of "best" in my opinion. (Though I am perfectly happy for it to win every single major and minor award with regards to production, visuals and design)'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorMarselus
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Nautilus wrote
The Hurt Locker
Another Overrated movie.
Although I loved when I watched it, the great thing about it is, as Erik has said in another thread, its many set pieces (specially that one in the desert). But as a whole, it´s really empty.
Nautilus wrote
I like Bigelow. She is a strong filmaker. But this movie is not to win an award, specially if the other candidate spent 15 years of his life making a really BIG movie.
Indeed. Actually this is what the oscars are about: INDUSTRY. For independent movies there are dozens of festivals around the world.
Nautilus wrote
If you want award a war movie, then back in time and give the Oscar to Ridley Scott and one of his masterpieces: Black Hawk Down.
Couldn´t agree more.Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you -
- CommentAuthorplindboe
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Indeed, "Avatar" is a technological break-through, but the story is really weak and simplistic. Had it won the best picture award, that would be like sending the message that CGI trumps story.
Peter
-
- CommentAuthorSouthall
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
It depends on your point of view. Avatar felt to me like a real breakthrough, the first time a film used CGI extensively and it was actually believable; and more importantly, it was loved by the public, attracting people to the cinema who wouldn't usually go, in a way that no film since Titanic had. It will surely be remembered for many decades to come, and is destined to appear on future lists of "milestone" films. The best film of the year? No - almost certainly not - but was there genuinely a better cinemagoing experience in 2009? I'm not sure there was. -
- CommentAuthorkeky
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
plindboe wrote
Indeed, "Avatar" is a technological break-through, but the story is really weak and simplistic. Had it won the best picture award, that would be like sending the message that CGI trumps story.
Peter
There's truth in what you have said. While I loved Avatar it is certainly not a deep movie inasmuch as Oscar counts. (Not that every movie ever won an Oscar is a "deep" one, far from that!) Still, the story definitely misses that plus that would eliminate it to Oscar quality.
However I haven't seen The Hurt Locker so I don't know if it has it, either... -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Southall wrote
It depends on your point of view. Avatar felt to me like a real breakthrough, the first time a film used CGI extensively and it was actually believable; and more importantly, it was loved by the public, attracting people to the cinema who wouldn't usually go, in a way that no film since Titanic had. It will surely be remembered for many decades to come, and is destined to appear on future lists of "milestone" films. The best film of the year? No - almost certainly not - but was there genuinely a better cinemagoing experience in 2009? I'm not sure there was.
Well, I was glad I was there, exactly for the historical context you refer to.
But a good cinema-going experience? Hmmmm...the last 30 minutes were a lot more defined by my Olympic bladder control than anything happening on screen, and I've already extensively expressed my annoyance at Avatar's mood and tone.
So honestly, as far as that goes, every single other moviegoing experience I had in 2009/2010 was a better one.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorSouthall
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Ho-hum! I think in this case you are probably the exception. -
- CommentAuthorBregt
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Read your view on the previous page. You're the first to mention the cynicism. perhaps it has never been mentioned because it's a direct effect of the cliché and simplicity of the story?
However, what movie are you pointing at when you mention "I'm sure Billy Jack and Marlon Brando would have been positively orgasming with delight"?
Kazoo -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Martijn, i really think you're giving humanity too much credit and faith. Do you really think we've advanced so much? Look around you, all the wars going on and hunger. Where do you get all the positive vibes?Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Paintings, penicillin, love, opera, moon trips, conservationsm, polio serum, museums, national preservation parks, literature, architecture, poems... should I go on?
You bring me war, I bring you a Beethoven sonata.
You bring me hunger, I bring you a newly discovered cure for a debilitating illness.
I can't abide one-sided, cheap cynicism.
It cheapens everything it touches.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorTimmer
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Martijn, we'll join our half full glasses together and make a full one!
On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
Yeah, it's all good. But maybe it's influenced by where each and everyone of us lives too...i am not on the misery-full side of things you know, thank GOD i do have everyone and everything i want in my life so far; i am more in the in-between though, maybe because my neighborhood and immediate surroundings don't allow me otherwise?
I don't now, but i am just mentioning the other side of the coin. Everywhere i look, including where i live, and with very few exceptions it seems, i see hungry people, homeless people, beggars, people loosing their jobs and wars, political and social turmoil. It's a choice of whether to shut that side off and just focus on the positive things it seems, and it's obviously the better choice but if i were to just compare and comment without taking sides, i'd not say that the humanity has really advanced so much, as you present it to be. Plus what you mention as positives, are part of the human heritage as a whole, not so much a product of today, our very times.
The modern world around us, with exceptions like the ones you mention which do have their roots in the past, seems like a violent place where everyone turns to cynicism and survival instincts kicking in as the ones you accuse AVATAR of portraying in cynicism, just to get what they want, what their neighbor wants and i am afraid no museum can overshadow that.Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorDreamTheater
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Martijn wrote
So, I finally got 'round to seeing Avatar.
Interesting how you put that, the simplicity and stereotyping, by saying man is evil to go on an alien planet and do what they are doing here: squeeze everything out of this godforsaken ball for its own profit.
Avatar wants to keep it very simple and make man grow a consciousness in all too obvious ways. I certainly was disagreeing with the military and the head honcho of the corporation the whole time, which is what it's supposed to do to normal thinking people. I didn't mind the simplicity of the story, which is why it's making the big bucks I guess. Cameron's goal was to transport us into this incredible alien world and make us care for the inhabitants and what's going on in their world. He succeeded and that's all I care about. Avatar is audiovisual and emotional entertainment first and foremost, and I wouldn't look for anything more into it."considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G. -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
Also, Martijn, how is what people do in AVATAR any different than what the 'civilized' nations have been doing all these years, raping virgin lands like AFRICA for instance?Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
Bregt wrote
Read your view on the previous page. You're the first to mention the cynicism. perhaps it has never been mentioned because it's a direct effect of the cliché and simplicity of the story?
Sure, but it didn't have to be!
There's not a cynical note to be found in Star Wars, and it's as clichéd as you can get. And if you think that's a bad example (which it may or may not be, depending on whether you accept archetypes as cliché, rather than a style element of their own), just think any old Disney film in its stead.
However, what movie are you pointing at when you mention "I'm sure Billy Jack and Marlon Brando would have been positively orgasming with delight"?
No particular movies: Billie Jack was a relatively well-known 'crusader' on film who karate-kicked his way through corporate greed and political fraud to save noble but oppressed American Indians and threatened ecologies. Sort of a Steven Seagal avant-la-lettre.
From the seventies onwards Brando was so enamoured by the plight of the native Americans that in every film he made he wished to express the cruelty of the White Men in obsessive and often ludicrous ways (he is rumoured to have suggested adding a scene to Christopher Columbus where the clergy was seen cooking natives, for no apparent reason).'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorTimmer
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Darn! I want to see Brando's version!
On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
Christodoulides wrote
Plus what you mention as positives, are part of the human heritage as a whole, not so much a product of today, our very times.
Really?
HIV atients survive today is not a product of today's discoveries?
UNESCO heritages (including wildlife preserves) are not a product of todays considerations?
No more music is composed today?
No books written?
The modern world around us, with exceptions like the ones you mention which do have their roots in the past, seems like a violent place where everyone turns to cynicism and survival instincts kicking in as the ones you accuse AVATAR of portraying in cynicism, just to get what they want, what their neighbor wants and i am afraid no museum can overshadow that.
And that, too, is a very biased choice to look at things.
I am greatly opposed against any such one-sided view.
As we see in Avatar.
Christodoulides wrote
Also, Martijn, how is what people do in AVATAR any different than what the 'civilized' nations have been doing all these years, raping virgin lands like AFRICA for instance?
That was exactly my point: the fact that the west and east have been instrumental in that during colonialism (and beyond), has backfired immensely now that the native people have taken over and redoubled their destructive efforts (the major cause of death, war and pollution in Africa and South America is due to internal strife). We have come to other insights now, which we are desperate to propagate, and where we fail, more often thatn not it's due to giant power blocks we simply cannot handle (e.g. the oil monopoly being held mainly by the insanely corrupt Saudi government).
At the same time in the middle of the Amazon, (yet another) tribe was discovered that until then had no contact with the outside world. *I* am not surprised to learn that the Brazil government -always desperate for cash- nevertheless immediately has granted them and their surroundings sanctuary to be able to live their lives as they always have. Not in a reservation. In their own forest. On their own terms.
And that is where the proof of the pudding lies. Not in the existing socio-economical-political relations we already have, and have existed sometimes for centuries (and will take many more decades to break), but in these confrontations, where in many ways we have been given a new start.
THAT is the analogy with Avatar.
Or it should have been, but wasn't.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorSteven
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
I pretty much agree with everything you said about Avatar, Martijn. (Except the score really does work for me... although I can appreciate it's not going to be as well received for everyone.) -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
It's not biased Martijn, it's a choice of where each and everyone of us wants to stand against things that happen around us. It's not my choice, i am in-between and i do admit there are exceptions, maybe you didn't notice that the first time around.
If you simply focus on UNESCO and HIV patients not dying (you say it as if it's an applied rule for all the countries in the world) or generally the positive things in life, then that doesn't automatically render the negative things as invalid. I told you before, and i don't want you to take it the wrong way, but if you lived in some problematic country (and i am not even talking third-world) for a month or so, maybe you'd change your opinions a bit, or perhaps loosen them up a bit. What i described you above is the reality as i - personally, see it everyday around me, it's not biased opinions. If you choose to render me invalid just like that, then it's you who's clearly biased.Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Christodoulides wrote
generally the positive things in life, then that doesn't automatically render the negative things as invalid.
I never said that or offered it did.
In fact, my whole beef was that the film offered no balance, and thus came down on the cynical side. Which I really didn't enjoy.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
^ Now, that's a point i am agreeing with
Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
And that was actually the ONLY point I EVER made, my friend.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Yeap, although i don't mind 'cause clearly and sadly, balanced isn't automatically existing everywhere and in all cases.Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorSteven
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
Martijn wrote
And that was actually the ONLY point I EVER made, my friend.
Yeah, but you did also make a point about the sociological detriment that religious extremism has on developing countries.
Martijn wrote
I'm also making a point about the sociological detriment that religious extremism has on developing countries.
^See, proof. -
- CommentAuthorDemetris
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
I make good points, don't I?
(Although I apparently forgot to mention the detrimental effect it has on developed countries as well).
Are there any more good points I should be going to have had made, Steven?'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn -
- CommentAuthorSteven
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
We'll discuss that over our next candle lit dinner. -
- CommentAuthorMartijn
- CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
That's what she said.'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
