• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Free Rainer

A good German movie about a group who tries to change the TV ratings in order that the TVs stop making stupid programs. Since the idiotic programs of the commercial TV stations are really maddening, this movie was fun to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010 edited
    Sherlock Holmes

It's got nothing to do with the Sherlock Holmes we know from the books or the movies (Downey Jr's slightly feeble protests that Sherlock was rather the pugilist -which he was, by the way- notwithstanding), and everything with Guy Ritchie's trademark visual style.

There's a lot of good things about the film. Downey Jr.'s performance is top notch (although it does seem he is retreading his Tony "Iron Man" Stark portrayal here), and the chemistry with Jude Law's restrained doctor Watson is a source of continued amusement. Much of the supporting cast are below par, though, which almost stops the film dead in its tracks once none of the two leads is involved.

Ritchie's very visual direction is extremely present, so it really depends on whether or not you liked it in Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch if you will appreciate it here.

London's CGI Victorian age looks nice, but no more than that.
    There's no notable improvement to, say, Coruscant: I still get the idea I'm watching video game visuals. I've been thinking on why that is, and I think the reason may be that the screen is just too busy: there's too many ships, and too many carriages and too many people all at the same time. And they're all CGI('d). It's too big and too busy and too hectic...and it just shows.

The plot is linear, nonsensical, with loopholes big enough to drive a stage coach through, depending too often on "inspired deductions" from Sherlock rather than actual logic or sense. But obviously -and in many ways sadly- a true detective plot was never the idea behind this film. If you're willing to live with that, there's plenty of amusement to be had.

Slightly to my disappointment, the plot hinges too heavily on a supernatural angle (something modern day Sherlock Holmes variations too often rely upon) which really doesn't come off, but does offer Zimmer an amusing excuse to present a somewhat Eastern European soundscape in his fun score (playing heavily against the villain's rather undead looks and apparent capacities).

All in all not a brilliant film by any means. But quite amusing.

Film: 3.5 out of 5
    Score: 3.5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    you are too generous , martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I thought Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch were brilliant. I've watched Snatch in particular, 4 times. I'm sold.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think you'll like it, D. I really enjoyed. (Not to say just because I enjoyed I think you will - but I do think you'll like this one.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, judging from Martijn's comments above and yours, i think i will, yes. If it's fun, Guy Ritchie-like fun, then i'm sold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    To be honest, I felt Sherlock Holmes had nothing to do with Ritchie's trademark style, bar just a few characters or one instance of fast cutting. Not in terms of photography (the Guy-like angle on Mrs. McAddams from the trailer was even cut from the finished film), nor in terms of sharp dialogue. Downey Jr. and Zimmer's score made it fun for me, plus the beautiful visualization of London, but it's of a slickness that's new for Ritchie, with simple jokes for a broad audience that even goes against his usual style (the dog...). It felt to me like he was a director for hire for Warner Bros (which he even admitted in one interview) that was asked to direct someone else's project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm..I on the other hand found the visual style very recognizable (the quick "resolution" cuts rather than dialogue or exposure; the flash zooms)... but then all these elements have now been hijacked by mainstream film making, so maybe it just comes off a little more tired than ten years ago?
    (Ritchie does seem to have a lot of trouble reinventing himeself).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    True, he seems to be trying different things to see what works for him, after going completely over the top in terms of his visual style in Revolver, now almost panicking his tried and tested formula didn't go down all that well in Rock'n Rolla, which was supposed to be his save retreat (although I'm not sure how succesful it was, I know I was disappointed, and the planned trilogy will never be finished, instead Ritchie was put on Holmes duty by Warner).

He seemed to have trimmed these elements down in Holmes in order to not out-weird a normal audience (true, the slow-mo for example is still present). But I was hoping for a truly fresh take on a period piece, yet all we got was Ritchie-light, held firmly between certain boundaries to appeal to the masses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited
    Just saw: CUBE (1997) ****
    A first rate lesson in how to create suspense and an original story from the smallest of sets (just a single room that's being lit in different ways). The film relies heavily on a building sense of claustrophobia and tense atmosphere, adding to that some scenes of great suspense. All this makes up for some clunky acting and big leaps of logic near the end of the film, but the instances where the plot goes against cliché are great.

The biggest plus, however, is how the why's, how's and when's are never explained, knowing this would kill a lot of the effect. Besides, the quasi philosophical dialogue that stem from these questions make for a welcome distraction from the puzzles and suspense.

It all ain't perfect by a long shot, but it's a very effective and intelligent little horrorfilm nonetheless. I'm also determined now NEVER to watch any of the other Cube films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    Just saw: CUBE (1997) ****
    It all ain't perfect by a long shot, but it's a very effective and intelligent little horrorfilm nonetheless. I'm also determined now NEVER to watch any of the other Cube films.

Wise decision.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Very long, but very handsome film. I was gripped by the opening and the ending but the point of some of the stuff in the middle rather passed me by. Now, I must get the soundtrack - why did nobody ever tell me how good it is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I actually remember quite a bit of fuss about the score when it came out. Anyway, good film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shutter Island

Very intense and gripping film. I don't think there was a single dull or uninteresting scene in the entire film? It certainly kept my gaze fixed during the whole 2 hours. DiCaprio again proves he's a star worthy of his status - it's not surprising why Scorsese keeps working with him. (In fact, this might be my favourite DiCaprio-Scorsese film.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It was good how each scene slowly built up to a cliffhanger or clue, and then it would just go onto the next one and do exactly the same thing again.

What did you think of the twist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Loved the twist. It started becoming more and more clear as the story went on, I sort of guessed it before he entered the lighthouse, but I wasn't sure (though I'm sure there are those who will say "I guessed it from the very beginning. It was so obvious! You're all stupid and I'm smart." rolleyes )

I thought the Nazi flashbacks were so well done, very harrowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Loved the twist. It started becoming more and more clear as the story went on, I sort of guessed it before he entered the lighthouse, but I wasn't sure (though I'm sure there are those who will say "I guessed it from the very beginning. It was so obvious! You're all stupid and I'm smart." rolleyes )

Well, I had "the twist" (which was a weak one) figured out after watching the trailers ( And no you aren't stupid Steven) but I was really hoping that Scorsese was going to take "the twist" somewhere else... somewhere more twisted. My wife and I had a good discussion about the film afterwards and I shared with her how I would have ended the film. [spoiler]Instead of Dicaprio being a patient and full fledged loony the "prison" decides to set this whole thing up as an experiment to see if they can turn a sane man insane. They would have convinced Dicaprio of killing his wife and kids and by the end of the film he wouldn't be able to deny it even though he didn't do it. IMHO, that would have be much more interesting. I felt that the twist they had in the film was where the film was going anyway and I would have preferred something a bit more creative.[/spoiler] Still it's a very well made film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Every time I've been told a film or show has a twist ending I almost always suss it within the opening minutes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Very long, but very handsome film. I was gripped by the opening and the ending but the point of some of the stuff in the middle rather passed me by. Now, I must get the soundtrack - why did nobody ever tell me how good it is?

We've told you. Michael especially. It's NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS anyway, they haven't released anything that is actually not good yet. Have you heard THE ROAD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

That movie is almost flawless. In fact i can't think of anything i'd change...If only more films in our days relied on actual FILM-MAKING, characters and story-telling like SHUTTER ISLAND did, Hollywood would be a much better industry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Every time I've been told a film or show has a twist ending I almost always suss it within the opening minutes slant

I guess that's the thing. I wasn't expecting a twist, so I wasn't looking out for it. Now that you know, I wouldn't be surprised if you figure it out before it comes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

We've told you. Michael especially. It's NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS anyway, they haven't released anything that is actually not good yet. Have you heard THE ROAD?

In future please clearly mark recommendations which I'll be interested in - perhaps Bregt could introduce a new "Notify Southall of recommendation" feature? I haven't heard any of their other film work. I definitely want this on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I guess that's the thing. I wasn't expecting a twist, so I wasn't looking out for it. Now that you know, I wouldn't be surprised if you figure it out before it comes.

That's the problem for me - the very fact that I know there's a big twist coming means that I just sit there trying to work out what it will be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That movie is almost flawless. In fact i can't think of anything i'd change...If only more films in our days relied on actual FILM-MAKING, characters and story-telling like SHUTTER ISLAND did, Hollywood would be a much better industry.

Well - Scorsese is one of the greatest directors who works in Hollywood, no question. Not all his films are great, but they are at least interesting. I look forward to Shutter Island.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's the problem for me - the very fact that I know there's a big twist coming means that I just sit there trying to work out what it will be.

I don't think it will ruin the film too much. In fact, now that I know the twist, I'm looking forward to revisiting it someday so I can look out for the hints I missed the first time round. Bloody good film regardless if you know the twist or not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I MUST SEE IT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You'll love it. Proper film making as it should be.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure I will. I agree with James about Scorsese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't be put off by the overly-intense music at the start. It's more appropriate once you've seen the film... but on first viewing, it did seem a little over kill!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not really, i thought it set the mood perfectly and it was very clever and fresh, at least to me. Instead of the random underscore that it's initially boring and it's just a couple of strings here and there, teasing you "hm, i don't know what this movie is about or what it's going to happen, but let's watch together and find outttttttzzzz" style of opening titles music we normally get, Scorcese here added character from frame 1.