• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Legion

I normally like retarded popcorn movies where you can just shut off your brain and enjoy the spectacle. But the crappiness of this one was noticable even with my brain shut firmly off. I kinda liked the supernatural/religious premise, but the whole thing was too poorly written, directed, acted etc. to have any real impact

Rated it 3 out of 10 on imdb.

Män som hatar kvinnor / The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

A swedish/danish co-production I believe. Based on some popular books, which I'll probably never read. The story is interesting, with fascinating and troubled characters. The actors are wonderful, especially the woman who plays the punk chick. There are some disturbing scenes (one in particular was very hard to get through), some emotional scenes and some exciting scenes. Everything a good thriller needs. A danish composer I like, Jacob Groth, provided the score. Jon Broxton reviews it here.

Rated the movie 9 out of 10 on imdb.

Apparently there are two sequels, and they have already been released. Originally they were intended to be released on telly as mini-series, but after the immense success of the first movie, they decided to reedit them, and release both movies in theaters. The result, as people say, are movies that aren't as good as the first one, with lower production value, but they're supposedly still pretty decent movies. I'll check them out for sure.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    Now half-watching: Armageddon

Michael Bay should never have been allowed to make films.
  1. Ah c'mon most of them are pretty entertaining, in a shut-off-your-brain-and-enjoy-the-silliness kind of way. Armageddon has its faults, but don't tell me you weren't in the theatre watching this and eating popcorn back in '98?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I wasn't. But I did love it when I saw it in 1998. Now I'm a little older, I realise just how stupid Bay's films are.

How many times do we need to see the American flag? Fuck. rolleyes
  2. I confess: I like Pearl Harbor.

And I ain't ashamed to admit that.

No one can film carnage and all-out bombast the way he does. Well maybe except for Cameron.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    I confess: I like Pearl Harbor.

You should be.

No one can film carnage and all-out bombast the way he does.

They can. They just choose to make better films.
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I confess: I like Pearl Harbor.

You should be.

Well I'm not.

If I killed someone innocent, that would make me ashamed of myself, but not liking Pearl Harbor. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well it was a subtle attempt at humour. wink

But you should still be ashamed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Atame!

A Pedro Almodóvar flick that many rave about, but I found it entirely dull. Except for some nudity and a superb Morricone score it was a snoozefest. Jokes and well-written dialogue tends to get lost in translation, so not speaking spanish might be a reason I was left bored.

My rating: 2 out of 10.

Agora

Great movie, about religious conflict n stuff. Score by Dario Marianelli. I noticed a great cue at the end, similar in style to "Evey reborn". Oh, and I love Rachel Weisz.

My rating: 8 out of 10.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Agora

Great movie, about religious conflict n stuff. Score by Dario Marianelli. I noticed a great cue at the end, similar in style to "Evey reborn".

Peter smile

That would be 'The Skies Do Not Fall'.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Marselus wrote
    That would be 'The Skies Do Not Fall'.

Indeed. I just found out the track name myself. It sure is a great track.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    plindboe wrote
    Atame!

A Pedro Almodóvar flick that many rave about, but I found it entirely dull. Except for some nudity and a superb Morricone score it was a snoozefest. Jokes and well-written dialogue tends to get lost in translation, so not speaking spanish might be a reason I was left bored.

I´ve never been an Almodovar fan. Actually it has always amazed me the success he has in Europe (and even USA). As you say, most of his dialogues get lost in translation, and his films are very local to be enjoyed outside Spain. Mysteries of life.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Now half-watching: Armageddon

Michael Bay should never have been allowed to make films.

FACT!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane

Utter fucking rubbish!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. FACT!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris likes men!

Fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's in good company then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    The Last Samurai

I liked the story and characters very much, even if I saw some weird things here and there. I don't care about historical/cultural inaccuracy or whatever, because I can consider it a fairy tale. I even don't care if ninjas existed in the Meiji Era... um.

But, what prevented me from getting into the story was the landscape... yeah I know it's filmed in the Shire, uh I mean, NZ. tongue The vegetation is so wrong! The battle field is obviously grazed by sheep. And they could have used CGI to remove ferns and add more bamboo bush.

I also think it could be better if more natural sound were added in the background, especially Japanese bird songs. I heard some unfamiliar birds chirping. dizzy

I know I'm nitpicking too much, but for me, the most important thing about my country is its beautiful nature, rather than the way of samurai etc... wink

Btw Ken is awesome. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Miya wrote
    The Last Samurai

I liked the story and characters very much, even if I saw some weird things here and there. I don't care about historical/cultural inaccuracy or whatever, because I can consider it a fairy tale. I even don't care if ninjas existed in the Meiji Era... um.

But, what prevented me from getting into the story was the landscape... yeah I know it's filmed in the Shire, uh I mean, NZ. tongue The vegetation is so wrong! The battle field is obviously grazed by sheep. And they could have used CGI to remove ferns and add more bamboo bush.

I also think it could be better if more natural sound were added in the background, especially Japanese bird songs. I heard some unfamiliar birds chirping. dizzy

I know I'm nitpicking too much, but for me, the most important thing about my country is its beautiful nature, rather than the way of samurai etc... wink

Btw Ken is awesome. cool

In this case I'm glad that I don't live in Japan because I could enjoy this film without the distractions caused by the landscape.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    I (of course) never noticed such subtle differences, but yeah, I perfectly sympathise.
    It must be so distracting to see a landscape and surroundings you know so well depicted with such different details. For me it always feels like some sort of other dimension!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I think it's interesting how everyone looks at a film from their point of view and from their fields of interest! I think it's a nice observation made by Miya. Made me smile! I would never notice such things. I would probably notice the music and... oh, wait we all do here.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Do we have a topic for inaccuracies / inconsistencies in movies? I always think those are fun trivia. And perhaps we can gather different kind of contributions from our (professional) fields of interest?
  5. Do it, Bregje!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Atame!

I´ve never been an Almodovar fan. Actually it has always amazed me the success he has in Europe (and even USA). As you say, most of his dialogues get lost in translation, and his films are very local to be enjoyed outside Spain. Mysteries of life.

I love Atame! for its quirkiness and the Morricone score. And of course, for Victoria Abril and the silly/fun scenes. Come to think of it, I've liked most of the Almodovar films I've seen. Carne Tremula might be my fave though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    applause
    I (of course) never noticed such subtle differences, but yeah, I perfectly sympathise.
    It must be so distracting to see a landscape and surroundings you know so well depicted with such different details. For me it always feels like some sort of other dimension!

Hollywood rolleyes

I'm glad Miya pointed out those details because I would have remained ignorant, yet, I'm very quick to point out cultural wrongs in films where I know the difference.

Hollywood rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Do we have a topic for inaccuracies / inconsistencies in movies? I always think those are fun trivia. And perhaps we can gather different kind of contributions from our (professional) fields of interest?

Go for it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited
    Bregje wrote

It will be fun!
    It's fun to find goofs, even on movies I like. South American ant species in the Pride Lands for example... wink

On The Last Samurai, I think it's a shame they weren't careful about landscapes, because the photography is really beautiful. I love these shots of mountains in silhouette, they're like Asian paintings, but then I find a palm tree standing there... so strange dizzy

Anyway I enjoyed the movie very much, though it could be better with shorter epilogue.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    I love Atame! for its quirkiness and the Morricone score. And of course, for Victoria Abril and the silly/fun scenes. Come to think of it, I've liked most of the Almodovar films I've seen. Carne Tremula might be my fave though.

The score is indeed amazing. It was actually one of my first Morricone scores. I found it in a random used CD store about 12 years ago, and what a great buy that was. 4 themes, all great, and the album is interesting from beginning to end.

There were things to like about the movie. Antonio Banderas was like a kid trapped in a man's body, with no understanding of right and wrong, and that was charming in a way. It annoyed me though that he hit her and threatened to kill her, and despite of this she still fell in love with him. The ending was bittersweet to me, because it didn't seem right, after the way he had treated her.

Are other Almodóvar flicks similar to Atame? If they are, I might do best to avoid them.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Miya wrote

Funny post. Never thought of it like that. It's probably the kind of inaccuracies one only notice if one lives in Japan.

Peter dizzy