• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    It's also made for watching films I want to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    smile biggrin It'd be lots of fun in that system!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    I just noticed that a brand new series of Ashes To Ashes started last night. Though it's clearly no where near as good as Life On Mars, I would always tune in, so I guess I'll check this first episode out on iPlayer later today.

A bit of research tells me that this will be the final series of the LoM/AtA universe and that its climax will reveal who the character of Gene Hunt really is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    DAS WEISSE BAND | michael haneke

Ouch! One thing is sure, life was certainly not better in the past.

Quite a cold film. Not really showing everything, rather hinting, since it's not the goal of the movie anyway. it certainly leaves an impression, but a harsh one to me. What happens with a generation when they grow up? What do they transport from their parents? Wrongly using your powers, .... I don't know if I like the message or not.

It's a black and white film, with some beautiful images of a little German countryside village, just before World War I arrived. It follows their citizens and their kids, after some odd events happened. It surely is captivating. Slow paced scenes (which I love), silence and the story telling.

That one's coming out this month on BluRay over here and I can't wait to see it, although there are a lot of mixed reviews. Empire alone already: gave it 4 stars when in the cinema, now recently 2 stars for the BR release claiming it was boring, artsyfartsy and trying to stuff an uneven message down your throat. However, your report made me sure of it again that I must see this!

And, eh... I'm quite sure you're not supposed to like the message wink. Or do you mean you don't agree with it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watched Doctor Who and enjoyed it.

Thought the new Doc was good and the red haired chick... shocked lick

The upcoming episodes look mouthwatering.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just watched the new Doctor Who.

Good:
    Quick-moving plot, good direction, good dialogue.
    Not overly melodramatic.
    Matt doesn't look too young.
    Karen Gillian as new assistant Amy Pond looks like 16, but Steven's right: she IS very cute. love
    The Coming Soon feature! lick Looks like a good run!

Meh:
    Matt is trying to channel David Tennant in MAJOR fashion, and not pulling it off.

Bad:
    The "quirky"Tardis "retro" look. Welcome back 1979.
    The new intro theme.

In summary: Matt badly needs to develop his own Doctor -both Eccleston and Tennant made the role their own the very first instance- , but I guess the script will give him time to do so. Well, I hope so anyway.
    Not blown away by a long shot, but it's intriguing enough to see how it'll pan out.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Clash of the Titans

vomit sleep vomit vomit sleep vomit vomit sleep

This is the most constructive review I can come up with.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Clash of the Titans

That good eh!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Good:
    Karen Gillian as new assistant Amy Pond looks like 16, but Steven's right: she IS very cute. love

If ever there was the archetypal example of my 'type'... love

I enjoyed it, a promising start I'd say. I hope Matt Smith creates his own character too.
  1. HEAT

I don't know which time. When I bought it on DVD, I watched it 3 times in a row.

One of my favorite movies of all time. They just don't make it like this anymore.

The camera work is pure beauty, about 60% of the movie was made with Michael Mann himself behind the camera. This movie shows how great can hand-held work be. The shootout scenes are pure beauty in their chaotic drama. I think that the bank shootout is the best scene of this kind of the 1990s and Mann did it again with the best shootout scene of the 2000s in Public Enemies - the Little Bohemia scene. People should learn from it. The movement blocking (all actors went through weapons AND tactical training - the "police officers" through police training, the villains through military, in his commentary Mann commends the actors for using their trained moves all the time) is just amazing and the camera work borders on pure action scene beauty. The sound mix is amazing - reportedly they wanted to re-record it in a studio, but the original sound from location was much better than whatever they could do later. The stylish shots of the city at night, especially helicopter ones, make me want to visit Los Angeles, really. Using real locations (none of the movie was made in the soundstage) also helps with authenticity.

Acting. Robert de Niro and Al Pacino in one of their last amazing performances. And again, training did well for Pacino. A major famous scene was partly improvised by him and the actors' reactions (the questioned character's fear and the police officers' laugh) are genuine. Pacino is very intense, but never goes as far as to overacting and his antics are supposedly real for good crime cops, his character was also supposed to be a cocaine addict, but this was cut from the movie. De Niro is more low-key and this very much works. He makes a villain likable and deep and the depth is part of the magic of the movie and makes the end very emotional - again they don't do it today anymore and what we get are caricatural villains with no depth to them (but still fun for the actors to play). It all gives poignancy to the movie. Val Kilmer doesn't have much personality, but that's his character. Tom Sizemore is amazing, so is Kevin Gage as Waingro. William Fichtner's little part is great to watch and shows how capable he is. The women deliver too. Natalie Portman is particularly great, so is Ashley Judd.

The music. Michael Mann, the perfectionist (but also a great guy on the set, at least to actors), is hard to work with for composers, who get their scores partly replaced with modern ambient/industrial/post-rock music (sort of a song version of Terrence Malick?), but the music also works great. The mood is conveyed beautifully and the use of music IS part of the movie's unique atmosphere.

I saw Miami Vice yesterday and to be honest, that movie got me wanting to see Heat again. The reason is simple - its final shootout scene visually looked like a rehash of the bank shootout. That movie was much inferior - hardly as developed characters and no chemistry between the good actors who played Sonny and Tubbs. Compared to Mann's best movies (Heat, Collateral and dare I say Public Enemies? I still have to see Manhunter, but I do plan to), it was shallow and simplistic. Great camera work - the sea sequences are a HOOT to watch and the colors are a great work, but still MUCH inferior and one of Mann's lesser works - still nice to watch.

Edited to add:

I seriously think that Elliot Goldenthal's score is his best to date.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Clash of the Titans

That good eh!?

Yes, THAT good..... (I want my 8€ back cry)

PawelStroinski wrote
    HEAT

I don't know which time. When I bought it on DVD, I watched it 3 times in a row.

One of my favorite movies of all time. They just don't make it like this anymore.

I remember when I first watched it. One of the (if not THE) best experiences I´ve ever had in a movie theater. I agree by the way, they don´t make films like this anymore.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    HEAT

Agree with your comments Pawel, it is one of my faves as well. The unique atmosphere, the brilliant acting, and the intricate use of music are its strong points. Have you heard the audio mix as it was heard in the theatre? It's mindblowing, every gunshot is felt, every detail in the sound is audible, every nuance in the music cues is perfectly balanced with the rest, this is one of the very best audio mixes I've ever heard, and I've heard lots. The airport scene is absolutely deafening, as it would be in real life. Powerful is an understatement.

But do check out The Insider as IMO that's one of Mann's best, even better than Collateral and Public Enemies, I would rate it just below Heat. Again with Pacino in a superb role.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Good:

If ever there was the archetypal example of my 'type'... love

Not on here yet, but I still thought it was funny. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    HEAT

Agree with your comments Pawel, it is one of my faves as well. The unique atmosphere, the brilliant acting, and the intricate use of music are its strong points. Have you heard the audio mix as it was heard in the theatre? It's mindblowing, every gunshot is felt, every detail in the sound is audible, every nuance in the music cues is perfectly balanced with the rest, this is one of the very best audio mixes I've ever heard, and I've heard lots. The airport scene is absolutely deafening, as it would be in real life. Powerful is an understatement.

But do check out The Insider as IMO that's one of Mann's best, even better than Collateral and Public Enemies, I would rate it just below Heat. Again with Pacino in a superb role.

I should see The Insider again. I remember loving some scenes, but I don't remember the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Martijn wrote
    Bad:
    The "quirky"Tardis "retro" look. Welcome back 1979.
    The new intro theme.

We haven't seen this yet - we've been in Scotland over the weekend. I've listened to the "new" theme and my first impression was not at all positive. And I don't like what they've done with the TARDIS (seen on a video tour on their website).

Along with the horrible new logo, three of the most important features of Doctor Who have been tainted! We'll see how Matt Smith gets on later tonight...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010 edited
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs (trailer)

Pretty funny. Didn't like all the character designs, but the graphics of the food was brilliant, and I couldn't help but make homemade burgers after watching it.

Rated it 7 out of 10 on imdb.

Cujo (trailer)

That's one mean doggie. Very well made movie. Except for one scene where rabid Cujo was growling at a telephone, and you could see the dog trainer's hand pulling the dog down at the end of the scene. Kinda takes the illusion away.

Rated it 6 out of 10.

Monsters inc. (trailer)

Brilliant and hilarious. The girl "Boo" has got to be the cutest animated girl ever. I couldn't help but saying "awwww" every single scene with her. My favourite Pixar after "Up".

Rated it 9 out of 10.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    House of Horrors starring Rondo Hatton as the Creeper. Hatton had a short (4) film career playing the role. Made toward the end of the Universal horror series in 1946 the score from Hans Salter was somewhat of a departure from the Frankenstein music. Hatton had to win a reward as one of the uglier actors on the silver screen.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    The Mad Ghoul with George Zucco is a 1943 Universal thriller/horror. The score by Salter isn't original, all of it came from The Wolfman and Frankenstein. Zucco is an excellent B actor.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Clash of the Titans

hEH, this is why i love this forum smile

Thanks for saving me 20 euros worth of cinema tickets.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Clash of the Titans

hEH, this is why i love this forum smile

Thanks for saving me 20 euros worth of cinema tickets.

just wait D, I haven't seen it yet and you know me and my good taste eh? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Not anxious to watch this one either. If it's another GI Joe, Mummy 3 style CGI crapfest, I'll pass.

It's been decades since I saw the original too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Not anxious to watch this one either. If it's another GI Joe, Mummy 3 style CGI crapfest, I'll pass.

It's been decades since I saw the original too.

I'll rent in on Blu-ray in the future, no need to see this in the cinema
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You actually never need to see it.
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    You actually never need to see it.

why? I love looking at crap
    I recently saw this you know

That's Dark Floors, the most expensive Finnish horror movie, and it's by LORDI wink
  9. Well Lordi is cool, at least their Eurovision hit song was. Can't say I've heard much about them since. sad
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Well Lordi is cool, at least their Eurovision hit song was. Can't say I've heard much about them since. sad

the problem is, Lordi fails when you expect to see a decent horror movie. It's basically not a bad movie, but it doesn't explain the plot whatsoever, and seeing creatures like that monster above fails when you realize it's horror and not 80's fantasy

[spoiler]Ps, Lordi's the final boss in the film[/spoiler] wink
  11. Oh no I've seen the spoiler, does that mean you won't show it to me?

DAMN ! angry
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Oh no I've seen the spoiler, does that mean you won't show it to me?

DAMN ! angry

nope, you've suffered way too much horror these past few weeks from me, I'll let this one pass wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm sure you both are looking forward to a BluRay of this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8604858.stm
    Kazoo
  13. OMG That looks terrific !! Oscar-worthy acting and totally brilliant CGI effects.

Seriously those birds flapping shots make Avatar look like a stop-motion animation flick. biggrin

I want this NOW !!!