• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

 
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    I haven't watched it yet, but that doesn't fill me with much hope. sad

    Still, I much prefer Matt Smith to David Tennant. I always found Tennant a bit annoying. (Plus there's Karen Gillen who is most definitely my favourite assistant yet.)
  1. Steven wrote
    I haven't watched it yet, but that doesn't fill me with much hope. sad

    Still, I much prefer Matt Smith to David Tennant. I always found Tennant a bit annoying. (Plus there's Karen Gillen who is most definitely my favourite assistant yet.)

    Karen Gillan spends most of her time in her nightie...(but that's not to say she spends the rest of it out of it.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    Thank god for BBC iPlayer.
  2. Steven wrote
    I haven't watched it yet, but that doesn't fill me with much hope. sad

    Don't take my word on it. The review(s) I've seen so far have been quite positive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    Hmmm...this review doesn't endear Matt to me, who already had a hard time convincing me of his doctorness anyway.
    I'll see if I can find a download somewhere, but this may be the end of the road for me.
    We'll see. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Madagascar

    Funny. Some of the jokes were rather lame, but many were great. The lame jokes don't really ruin the experience anyway, because there are so many jokes so one ends up constantly entertained anyway. The main characters weren't that entertaining, though Chris Rock was ok. What makes this movie are the supporting characters, especially the penguins, the monkeys and the oddball character King Julien, brilliantly voiced by Sacha Baron Cohen (though he's kinda switching between a jamaican and an indian accent). Zimmer's score has some nice moments, for instance the charming friendship theme, and the fantastic 'Zoosters breakout' theme.

    My rating: 6 out of 10.


    Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

    Funnier. Better story than the first one, and the jokes worked better. The score was upped, though no noticable new themes.

    My rating: 7 out of 10.


    The lion king

    God I hate musicals. Every time the singing commences it's like the story comes to a halt, so I go and make coffee or something, as if it's a commercial break. I had heard too much about this movie and Zimmer's score though, so I had to watch it. It's more of a children's movie, compared to the two above, so the jokes were too simplistic to be funny, and I'm not sure whether 'jokes' is even the right term. Zimmer's instrumental score was great, but I wasn't fond of the songs, except for the Elton John song which isn't all bad.

    I'm so glad that we've moved past this form of animation, that was mainly directed at children and filled with musical numbers. Today, animated movies are both clever enough and silly enough to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, the graphics are much more enjoyable and the senseless musical stuff has been switched with popular songs used as background music.

    My rating: 3 out of 10

    Peter smile
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Minority Report should be quite the stunner on blu because the film is such a stylistic tour de force, made to be appreciated in the best possible image quality. But I wouldn't trade it for my DVD. Yeah right... I hear you say Thomas. tongue


    don't believe a word of it, you'll buy it once you see it lying there wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched the second episode of the new series of Doctor Who and I thought it was very poor indeed.

    Trying to pack too much into 45 minutes. Both the Doctor and his assistant didn't have any screen presence at all, the story was very confusing, it was billed as being scary - but wasn't. Bad stuff indeed.


    My thoughts exactly ! There isn't any chemistry yet between the main leads . I remember watching Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper in the first episode 'Rose' , it clicked from the start . The same happened with David Tennant . Dunno yet what's wrong here ... Matt certainly does his best and I'll give him a few more episodes before I cast any final judgements . Karen Gillen is certainly lovely to look at and she can be funny at times . I guess I'm still focusing and comparing too much with the previous five years of Dr. Who which I loved dearly . Let's hope the return of the Daleks next week will give it some much needed punch . For some fans this new series finally IS the return of Dr. Who but I'm not convinced yet ...
    To be continued ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    plindboe wrote

    The lion king

    God I hate musicals. Every time the singing commences it's like the story comes to a halt, so I go and make coffee or something, as if it's a commercial break. I had heard too much about this movie and Zimmer's score though, so I had to watch it. It's more of a children's movie, compared to the two above, so the jokes were too simplistic to be funny, and I'm not sure whether 'jokes' is even the right term. Zimmer's instrumental score was great, but I wasn't fond of the songs, except for the Elton John song which isn't all bad.

    I'm so glad that we've moved past this form of animation, that was mainly directed at children and filled with musical numbers. Today, animated movies are both clever enough and silly enough to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, the graphics are much more enjoyable and the senseless musical stuff has been switched with popular songs used as background music.

    My rating: 3 out of 10

    Peter smile


    AGREE.

    God, how I agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    ^
    I've never seen it...shall I keep it that way!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    It has its moments, and I do think it's worth watching... but it does seem a little outdated even at 16 years of age.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    What puts me off is the style of animation, I find it sickly sweet.

    ....oh, and musical shit...ugh! vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Glad to be sorrounded by sensible people who will vomit with me. vomit

    Timmer, I didn't care much for the movie, but it was nice to hear the score in its intended context, and since this movie is so popular I guess it's one of those movies you just have to see. Luckily the songs don't take up too much space, i.e. there's plenty of room for the story and the score to unfold. After seeing this movie though I just wanted to recut it to remove all the songs, which would make it almost watchable.

    The style of animation is indeed awful. A smiling lion, that's just wrong. In the end I'm glad I watched it though.

    My next project is seeing "The prince of Egypt" for the first time. A soundtrack I much prefer though, so I don't think it will be quite as vomit-inducing.

    Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    Glad to be sorrounded by sensible people who will vomit with me. vomit

    Timmer, I didn't care much for the movie, but it was nice to hear the score in its intended context, and since this movie is so popular I guess it's one of those movies you just have to see. Luckily the songs don't take up too much space, i.e. there's plenty of room for the story and the score to unfold. After seeing this movie though I just wanted to recut it to remove all the songs, which would make it almost watchable.

    The style of animation is indeed awful. A smiling lion, that's just wrong. In the end I'm glad I watched it though.

    My next project is seeing "The prince of Egypt" for the first time. A soundtrack I much prefer though, so I don't think it will be quite as vomit-inducing.

    Peter smile


    The Prince of Egypt may have the same animation style, but the parting of the red sea remains until this day one of the most astounding moments ever to be done by animation

    I give this movie 10 out of 10, partly because it has one of the best scores of all time smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    I've seen The Prince of Egypt and thought it was okay....probably helped by the fact I saw it with my friends two young children who insisted I watched it rolleyes ...bless em kill

    Some of the score was very good though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    The Lion King was brilliant! One of the most efficient Disney films in relatively recent history!
    If you fast-forward all the singy stuff you can actually get through it in 16 minutes!
    Excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I'm ashamed to say that I just saw New Moon. I have checked in my man-card and won't try to redeem it until I see something a great deal more testosterone-filled.

    I have more problems with this film than I care to mention. Let me sum up by saying it was poorly written, poorly acted (except for Michael Sheen, whose cameo was awesome just because it was so nice to see someone acting), poorly directed, dull, dreary, and nearly wasted Desplat’s beautiful score. It was mixed so low that at one point my wife turned and said that she hadn’t noticed the score yet, despite the fact that the first three tracks from the score album had already played. If I weren’t so familiar with the score, I’m not sure I would have noticed it either.

    The only redeeming feature about this film was that the “dramatic” pauses in between every single line of dialogue were long enough to properly make fun of what they had just said before they started to deliver their next line.

    Ugh. 1 star out of four or five or ten, or whatever scale you care to use.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    It's a scale of 100

    ...and you still gave it 1.

    Infinity press-ups for you lad

    HUP 1

    HUP 2

    HUP 3

    HUP 4

    HUP...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    christopher wrote
    I'm ashamed to say that I just saw New Moon.

    I watched it as well. I´ll burn in hell for it, I know.

    christopher wrote
    I have more problems with this film than I care to mention. Let me sum up by saying it was poorly written, poorly acted (except for Michael Sheen, whose cameo was awesome just because it was so nice to see someone acting), poorly directed, dull, dreary,

    Let´s make it simple: CRAP!!

    christopher wrote
    and nearly wasted Desplat’s beautiful score. It was mixed so low that at one point my wife turned and said that she hadn’t noticed the score yet,

    Indeed. A total waste of Desplat´s talent.

    christopher wrote
    The only redeeming feature about this film was that the “dramatic” pauses in between every single line of dialogue were long enough to properly make fun of what they had just said before they started to deliver their next line.

    Didn´t you have the impression all the characters are high for the full movie (specially Bella)?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    Probably smack to get that heroin chic look.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    God I hate musicals. Every time the singing commences it's like the story comes to a halt, so I go and make coffee or something, as if it's a commercial break.


    You thought the songs in TLK slowed down the movie too much? Just wait till you watch a Bollywood film. wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    plindboe wrote

    The lion king

    God I hate musicals. Every time the singing commences it's like the story comes to a halt, so I go and make coffee or something, as if it's a commercial break. I had heard too much about this movie and Zimmer's score though, so I had to watch it. It's more of a children's movie, compared to the two above, so the jokes were too simplistic to be funny, and I'm not sure whether 'jokes' is even the right term. Zimmer's instrumental score was great, but I wasn't fond of the songs, except for the Elton John song which isn't all bad.

    I'm so glad that we've moved past this form of animation, that was mainly directed at children and filled with musical numbers. Today, animated movies are both clever enough and silly enough to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, the graphics are much more enjoyable and the senseless musical stuff has been switched with popular songs used as background music.

    My rating: 3 out of 10

    Peter smile


    I don't like musicals either but I do love The Lion King. Unlike Madagascar or any other modern animations, it has real emotions in it. I still find it, after 16 years, an amazing movie.
  6. It's been years since seeing TLK but I think all those fond memories will come back in an instant. I agree with keky, the emotional aspect is very much present, much to do with the music and voice acting and the style of animation has never ever bothered me. You have to respect the artists to put so much life into characters completely drawn from hand, unlike current animation, where the computer does a lot of the work. (Not that I hate CG animation, far from it).

    The Prince of Egypt is brilliant, nothing less. Zimmer's score is a piece of art in it (and outside of it as well).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Prince of Egypt may have the same animation style, but the parting of the red sea remains until this day one of the most astounding moments ever to be done by animation

    I give this movie 10 out of 10, partly because it has one of the best scores of all time smile


    Cool, looking forward to it now. I do adore the score as well, and even though I normally loath musical-like songs, that soundtrack actually has some really great ones, especially "Deliver us" and "When you believe".


    christopher wrote
    I'm ashamed to say that I just saw New Moon. I have checked in my man-card and won't try to redeem it until I see something a great deal more testosterone-filled.


    biggrin

    I... recently saw it too.

    I would have written about the experience in this thread, but felt too ashamed to admit I had seen it. The score is absolutely wonderful though, and I can't imagine what inspired Desplat to write music of such extreme beauty.


    DemonStar wrote
    You thought the songs in TLK slowed down the movie too much? Just wait till you watch a Bollywood film. wink tongue


    Hehe. Well, at least they have some fun dancing moves and pretty girls. Much better than animated lions. wink


    keky wrote
    I don't like musicals either but I do love The Lion King. Unlike Madagascar or any other modern animations, it has real emotions in it. I still find it, after 16 years, an amazing movie.


    I can normally connect to anything with the slightest emotional bit, no matter what the context is (I've felt emotional during episodes of South Park for instance), so it's strange I couldn't connect with this one at all. I'm sure it would have been different if I had seen it as young.


    DreamTheater wrote
    The Prince of Egypt is brilliant, nothing less. Zimmer's score is a piece of art in it (and outside of it as well).


    I shall see it right after this post. smile

    Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    Wow, just saw The prince of Egypt. I thought the animation was infinitely better than The lion king. One of the most affecting and beautiful animated movies I've ever seen. And yes, the parting of the Red Sea was extremely impressive.

    Just a shame that Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston decided to completely slaughter that wonderful song.

    My rating: 9 out of 10

    Peter smile
  7. I like to see Prince of Egypt as a psychological drama at a core.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. plindboe wrote
    Wow, just saw The prince of Egypt. I thought the animation was infinitely better than The lion king. One of the most affecting and beautiful animated movies I've ever seen. And yes, the parting of the Red Sea was extremely impressive.

    Just a shame that Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston decided to completely slaughter that wonderful song.

    My rating: 9 out of 10

    Peter smile


    glad you liked it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    THANK YOU!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

    The lion king

    God I hate musicals. Every time the singing commences it's like the story comes to a halt, so I go and make coffee or something, as if it's a commercial break. I had heard too much about this movie and Zimmer's score though, so I had to watch it. It's more of a children's movie, compared to the two above, so the jokes were too simplistic to be funny, and I'm not sure whether 'jokes' is even the right term. Zimmer's instrumental score was great, but I wasn't fond of the songs, except for the Elton John song which isn't all bad.

    I'm so glad that we've moved past this form of animation, that was mainly directed at children and filled with musical numbers. Today, animated movies are both clever enough and silly enough to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, the graphics are much more enjoyable and the senseless musical stuff has been switched with popular songs used as background music.

    My rating: 3 out of 10

    Peter smile


    AGREE.

    God, how I agree.


    Count me in too.
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    I've never seen it...shall I keep it that way!?


    I think you'll find it very schmaltzy and cheesy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.