• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited
    IRON MAN 2 ***
    Just got back from a closed screening in IMAX of the new Iron Man movie. What can I say? It's entertaining. Even more so than the original film, thanks to its more epic scale and great action sequences combined with a good dosage of humor. The bad? Way too many new characters of which many underdeveloped and an unremarkable story. Gwyneth starts to annoy meanwhile and Scarlett is only impressive in her action sequences towards the end. Till then she fails to make her character intriguing. Rockwell rocks big time, nonetheless, and Downey Jr. is great as, er, recent years.

The score? Well, it's safe to say Debney handed in a more orchestral version of Djawadi's effort. Let's be honest here; there are no standout ideas or impressive moments. Yes, there are themes, but it's severely underdeveloped. Which puzzles me, because if there's one modern action hero film that needs that superhero theme, this is it. But once again, characters are defined by instruments (Tony the electric guitars, while Rourke's character gets dark Russian chanting). The good news is that it's a lot more orchestral indeed, which makes the whole mix a lot more enjoyable. And when the choir crescendo kicks in... You gotta love these by-the-book moments. In short, anyone who likes the sound of proper symphonic rock will enjoy this, but don't get this for the compositions. Likable at best, but the epic orchestral sound will make it a guilty pleasure instead of just a guilty score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    The samples i've heard suggested nothing more in the quality range than Djawadi's.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010 edited
    Iron Man 2

Yet another crappy Hollywood blockbuster. Of course, shame on me (and Jordi) for paying the ticket. Two hours of.....nothing. I won't even care elaborating on the first hour of the movie. The second hour is like the first one plus a couple of action sequences (that everybody will forget after watching them).

Boring characters AND actors (is Sam Rockwell the same Sam Rockwell that shined in 'Moon'?), bad jokes, noise all over the place, laughable action sequences by Scarlett Johansson (she even beats 'Elektra's already horrible action set pieces) and Mickey Rourke is.....well, Mickey Rourke with hair streaks.

As for the score, well, I'd save time by quoting Demetris:

"The samples I've heard suggested nothing more in the quality range than Djawadi's". Nothing more to add.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    From the samples I heard from the score, it only sounds slightly better than Djawadi's score to me too. Let's see how much this one gets bashed at film music forums, seeing it's from a non-RC composer. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Did you like the first movie, Marcel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DAS WEISSE BAND (2009, Haneke) ****
    A slow-burning film of which you'll only come to realize what you've just seen after the film is over. Haneke's black and white photography is often beautiful, as is his pace. He slowly reveals the sinister side of this seemingly peaceful village. Once you start to realize these acts of crime aren't random the film becomes more intriguing by the moment.

Much has been made of the message the film tries to convey, and although presenting my theory would ruin the plot for those who haven't seen it, I'd like to stress (just like Hanake stressed this at Cannes) that he is most certainly not just talking about the German people in releation to the first and second world war. The themes the film is dealing with are much broader and relate to human nature in general and ultimately the blame-question. It also works on a grand, political scale as well as everyday life.

Haneke pointed out he tried hard to pose questions instead of awnsers. The best thing of DAS WEISSE BAND, therefore, is that it stimulates a discussion. And it stays in the mind, which is always an impressive thing to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Did you like the first movie, Marcel?

Yes, I really liked it. In the sequel they've ruined everything that was good about it.

Anthony wrote
    From the samples I heard from the score, it only sounds slightly better than Djawadi's score to me too. Let's see how much this one gets bashed at film music forums, seeing it's from a non-RC composer.

I like Debney, actually I like his music A LOT, but Iron Man 2 score is as bad as the first one. Dare I say the first one had at least a couple of powerful action cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Iron Man 2

Boring characters AND actors (is Sam Rockwell the same Sam Rockwell that shined in 'Moon'?), bad jokes, noise all over the place, laughable action sequences by Scarlett Johansson (she even beats 'Elektra's already horrible action set pieces) and Mickey Rourke is.....well, Mickey Rourke with hair streaks.

As for the score, well, I'd save time by quoting Demetris:

"The samples I've heard suggested nothing more in the quality range than Djawadi's". Nothing more to add.

Agree with everything you said.

I found the first movie bland and uninspired, but the sequel is directly annoying.

About the music I can't say very much, because the FX was too loud that I only could hear the electric guitars and some chorus, but Ramin score at least had a "decent" main theme.

I guess Debney is still recording or mixing the album because I guess he will put some "unrealease or alternate" tracks on it. to make a better album.

By the way, Lisbeth scott was hired to sing in iron man 2 , right? because it's not in the movie..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010 edited
    IRON MAN 2

Why oh why do i get dragged at these? Whilst the first was fun and had a good storyline to back it up, the 2nd one lacks direction, it doesn't really know where to go, what to do with its cold and numb cast, what does it want to say; 'cause in core, there's nothing substantial to be offered through this; it's just a big and tiring parade of hollywood big names, all feeling out of their league and completely lacking direction. Debney's score isn't the slightest better than Djawadi's. I'd say, at times, it's even worse 'cause whilst Djawadi's metal pieces had some kind of character, Debney's score follows the sadly now cliched way of dressing entire scenes - and thus movies, with droning orchestra and a layer of electronics and guitars with no themes, leitmotifs or anything musically coherent whatsoever. It all feels rushed, uncompleted, scarce and lacks focus, entirely imitating the film it accompanies.

A disappointment.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    Best I avoid this then? Everyone seems to hate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only on blue ray at a night with friends and beer if you have nothing else to do. Definitely not in cinema where you'll be crying the money spent.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Maybe I'll give it a go on Orange Wednesdays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    IRON MAN 2

Why oh why do i get dragged at these?

Seems we've made the same mistake this weekend. I agree with your capsule review by the way. And score wise, I said exactly the same.

Anthony wrote
    Best I avoid this then? Everyone seems to hate it

I think I can safely say: SAVE YOUR MONEY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    IRON MAN 2

Why oh why do i get dragged at these? Whilst the first was fun and had a good storyline to back it up, the 2nd one lacks direction, it doesn't really know where to go, what to do with its cold and numb cast, what does it want to say; 'cause in core, there's nothing substantial to be offered through this; it's just a big and tiring parade of hollywood big names, all feeling out of their league and completely lacking direction. Debney's score isn't the slightest better than Djawadi's. I'd say, at times, it's even worse 'cause whilst Djawadi's metal pieces had some kind of character, Debney's score follows the sadly now cliched way of dressing entire scenes - and thus movies, with droning orchestra and a layer of electronics and guitars with no themes, leitmotifs or anything musically coherent whatsoever. It all feels rushed, uncompleted, scarce and lacks focus, entirely imitating the film it accompanies.

A disappointment.

I couldn't agree more about movie and score.

I was surprised with the 90 % fresh tomatoes with Iron man, but I'm even more surprised with 74 % for Iron man 2.

PS: I use to love Robert Downey Jr and Paltrow, but in this movie both are annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... I could care less about the movie... but what I want to know is how Scarlett Johansson looked?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Meh, she looked sexy enough as expected, but she was too very cold and numb, and not enough screen time. She made 5-6 appearances in total and only 1 one of them was the wow moment. Her character was pointless, same goes for Samuel L.Jackson; most people giggled when their 'purpose' in the movie was revealed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    what I want to know is how Scarlett Johansson looked?

-Erik-

Boring, as always.

Christodoulides wrote
    Her character was pointless, same goes for Samuel L.Jackson; most people giggled when their 'purpose' in the movie was revealed.

Indeed slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    She made 5-6 appearances in total and only 1 one of them was the wow moment.

You mean when she changed clothes in the backseat of the car?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh make that 2, although that was very short, i meant the one were she kicked the ass of the guards, in a laughable but still sexy way. But you know, the problem with Scarlett is that when she feels bored, it looks and it's very evident, in many of this sub-quality films she made, in vivid contrast to say - her Woody Allen role for instance/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    True. Her character was meant to put you off guard regarding her intentions. You should be going, like: "Is she evil? Is she not? Do I need to watch my back?". Instead, I was going: Is she hot? Is she not? Do I want her to rub my back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    She has that look in her eyes, in so many of these movies she did lately, that screams "bored" out of a mile away. Not winning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I get what you mean, but the weird thing is that she wanted this part so bad, that she died her hair for the character before she even got the part. It would make you think she'd actually work to make the character interesting, or it's her incapability to make the distinction in her performance between cold-blooded to distracted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of cour$e $he wanted the part $o bad! Wouldn't you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    What are you saying here, that she actually lied to the press in expressing her love for the first film just to promote the film? I'm shocked and apalled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i am saying $$$.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Are they just trying to plug The Avengers, Captain America and Thor throughout then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    IRON MAN 2
    Debney's score isn't the slightest better than Djawadi's. I'd say, at times, it's even worse 'cause whilst Djawadi's metal pieces had some kind of character, Debney's score follows the sadly now cliched way of dressing entire scenes - and thus movies, with droning orchestra and a layer of electronics and guitars with no themes, leitmotifs or anything musically coherent whatsoever. It all feels rushed, uncompleted, scarce and lacks focus, entirely imitating the film it accompanies.

A disappointment.

Interesting. I wonder what happen to the people who said that they'd rather that Debney had scored the original Iron Man? I haven't seen IM2, and won't be until it comes out on BR, so I don't have any opinion in this matter. Just curious though.... slant
  1. Speaking of Downey Jr., I just saw Sherlock Holmes and really enjoyed everything about it! It was enormous fun, and one of a very few films made in the last 3 years that I am considering buying. Great characters, witty, excellent dialogue, cool cinematography, quirky and effective soundtrack, etc. The detective himself is so unlike I've always imagined Sherlock in some ways, but that didn't bother me at all while watching the film. It's got some plot holes, but I thought the film was enjoyable enough that they didn't bother me much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone watched the "re-imagining" of The Prisoner?

confused
    Where is that being aired?
    Not the BBC, I guess?

FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And, still looking forward to watching the next episode of Doctor Who: River Song and Weeping Angels. Could be good....but, could also be bad.

Bad, I'm afraid!

This is the first time in years I haven't been following the good Doctor weekly.
    I'm saddened to hear the series seems to be in decline once again. sad

I still feel they shouldn't have gone with a doctor as young as this one. With the seemingly generic formulaic plots (which incidentally isn't unique to this particular Doctor) it's now more popcorn fare than either Eccleston's Or Tennant's versions.

How is what-is-face (I forget the name now, and I'm too lazy to look it up) coming into the Doctor's role? Is he shaking Tennant's persona yet?

PawelStroinski wrote

Star Trek: The Search for Spock

Nimoy is not only a good actor (and he's not on screen for most of the movie), but also a very competent director. Of course there are questions like why couldn't they get Kirstie Alley to reprise her role as Saavik. Robin Curtis is also competent though. A very decent sci-fi movie, if only having a bit less space scenes than Khan. The Klingons were cool with a very good AND serious delivery from Christopher Lloyd, something you don't see often.

Horner's score also very good, less edgy than his Khan score, which had some purely horror cues.

You know what? I'm really glad you liked Search For Spock.
    I have been pretty alone in defending this movie which is actually my second favourite Trek film!

It's got everything and the kitchen sink.
    It's defined the Klingons forever (thanks to an excellent and extremely hateable Christopher Lloyd), it's got great interaction and fantastic chemistry between the cast members, and it has absolutely fantastic design pieces: the Klingon Bird Of Prey, the Klingons proper, the Excelsior. It's all just so good.

The story is a rollercoaster ride that seems more fitting to a band of rebels than a strictly military organization and it works like a charm. The script is excellent, with some great interaction and dialogue, and the film contains some of the best scenes in any Trek (stealing the Enterprise is a triumph of image and sound coming together).

I even prefer Curtis over Alley as Saavik: I think Curtis plays the part in a far more emotionally restrained fashion.

The film just has too little of Spock. alien :vulcan ears:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Nimoy just wanted to be more behind the camera, I think, which lent to a very effective movie.

That said, of course, I wish there was more Spock in the movie, just because Nimoy is the best actor in the lot. I think the fantastic chemistry is also due to fact of the movie having relatively little Uhura, who on the contrary, is played by the worst actress in the lot.

Yesterday, I decided to go back with the story and:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

I don't know what is the general opinion on this one, but I for one loved it.

More than anybody else, Wise got the sense of "space wonderment" in this movie. The movie is SATURATED with awe, the Enterprise flyover with the theme which almost wasn't composed (Wise originally accepted Goldsmith's first version, but had it rescored and asked for a great theme there, which we got), the V'ger (why the HELL is it called "Vejur" on the soundtrack?) flyover and Spock's Walk is full of suspense and feeling of wonder, it's just wonderfully eerie and the first time in the series I was actually somewhat scared. Cinematography is great, especially during all V'ger scenes and the bridge shots which wonderfully caught all the movement. The bridge scenes were filmed in a tad more artistic way than in the Horner-scored movies, I guess especially actually Search for Spock.

The movie did tend to drag, the flyover sequences were drawn-out, to be honest.

Acting was far more restrained than later, which was a positive especially in case of Shatner. That said, I wish there was more play on the Spock/McCoy conflict, which was addressed twice for less than a minute. Stephen Collins is really good as Decker and again, the conflict with Kirk is shown very well.

The Goldsmith score gives so much. Jerry had the possibility to write his Star Wars/Space Odyssey (a bit more of the latter, this is by far not an action movie and goes in to the realm of harder SF, which perhaps was the reason why it isn't too acclaimed) and this is what he did - a score full of romantic wonder in outer space (and some of the progressions were utilized also in Alien's main title, which is colder, but still tries to infuse some of the romanticism in the first sequence until all hell breaks loose). He got the movie to the core and the marriage with the visuals is wonderful.

With all my lack of experience with much of the genre, this may be one of the VERY best SF movies I have ever seen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website