• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    Marselus wrote

I'll say it another way: the variations of the heroic theme, with the visuals, are really good. Not a score I'll return to though. It is indeed a RC on autopilot kind of score.

Agree. Agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    Endeavoured to watch: Van Helsing (2004)
    Jesus. What a mess. Loud, obnoxious, unfunny and doesn't give you a second to breathe!
    It's not even an entertaining mess. It's just headache-inducing.

So I switched off after about 45 minutes (something I rarely do) and switched to House Of Frankenstein (1944).
    Assuredly another fine mess, with the same usual suspects (Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, the werewolf and the hunchback), but oh, it's all just so charming and entertaining!

Boris Karloff stars as resentful evil scientist Niemann, who wants to follow in Frankenstein's footsteps.

After a jailbreak together with tragic hunchback Ig...Daniel (Daniel?) whom he promises a new body once he's able to locate Frankenstein's monster to do further Advanced Scientific Experimentation, he encounters a carnival show that features Dracula's coffin, containing the latter's staked skeleton.

He kills the owner, swipes the coffin, for no particular reason resurrects Dracula (John Carradine -the father of David Carradine- in a rather ineffectual role), who immediately goes on a killing spree.
    The police (!) get involved and Karloff kicks Dracula's coffin out, letting him die a fiery death in the sun.
    Exit Dracula (what was the point in that?

Hunchback Daniel finds downtrodden but cute gypsy girl Esmeral...Ilonka (Ilonka?), who likes him but in the end can't get over the hump, so Daniel doesn't get to. Hump, that is.

Karloff finds the frozen remains of Frankenstein's Monster (yay!) and the Wolfman (huh?) and decides to thaw both out (because...uh...it was in the script). The monster (Glenn Strange, the best-known Frankenstein Monster model) is badly damaged and needs Advanced Scientific Experimentation i the coolest Evil Scientist laboratory you've ever seen! Everything explodes, boils, burns, smokes and zaps with electricity! Gothic expressionism galore!

The Wolfman Larry Talbot (the one and only Lon Chaney Jr.) broods on his terrible fate, and kills some people here and there every night the moon is full (and I mean EVERY night. Thrice a week).

Esmeralda likes Larry. Daniel hates Larry. Karloff likes no one.
    Larry eats Esmeralda, but not before Esmeralda wounds Larry mortally (out of love, with a silver bullet made out of her crucifix. Aw. Truer love hath no dogfood).

Daniel in grief and anger attacks Karloff. Monster kills Daniel. Angry torch-bearing village mob (having waited on the side for mandatory appearance) burn castle. Monster escapes with wounded Karloff only to find watery death in cork-filled water passing for quicksand.
    The end.

If it sounds terrible, that's because it is...but the classic Universal set pieces, the iconic faces, the wonderful black and white photography and the sheer mood and atmosphere made me enjoy this bit of fluff about a ZILLION times more than the multi-million Van Helsing fiasco.
    Heartily recommended for a dark and stormy night!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I can't belive you wrotte all this after watching Van Helsing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

That's my review in a nutshell.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Jesus. What a mess. Loud, obnoxious, unfunny and doesn't give you a second to breathe!
    It's not even an entertaining mess. It's just headache-inducing.

So I switched off after about 45 minutes (something I rarely do) and switched to House Of Frankenstein (1944).
    Assuredly another fine mess, with the same usual suspects (Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, the werewolf and the hunchback), but oh, it's all just so charming and entertaining!

Boris Karloff stars as resentful evil scientist Niemann, who wants to follow in Frankenstein's footsteps.

After a jailbreak together with tragic hunchback Ig...Daniel (Daniel?) whom he promises a new body once he's able to locate Frankenstein's monster to do further Advanced Scientific Experimentation, he encounters a carnival show that features Dracula's coffin, containing the latter's staked skeleton.

He kills the owner, swipes the coffin, for no particular reason resurrects Dracula (John Carradine -the father of David Carradine- in a rather ineffectual role), who immediately goes on a killing spree.
    The police (!) get involved and Karloff kicks Dracula's coffin out, letting him die a fiery death in the sun.
    Exit Dracula (what was the point in that?

Hunchback Daniel finds downtrodden but cute gypsy girl Esmeral...Ilonka (Ilonka?), who likes him but in the end can't get over the hump, so Daniel doesn't get to. Hump, that is.

Karloff finds the frozen remains of Frankenstein's Monster (yay!) and the Wolfman (huh?) and decides to thaw both out (because...uh...it was in the script). The monster (Glenn Strange, the best-known Frankenstein Monster model) is badly damaged and needs Advanced Scientific Experimentation i the coolest Evil Scientist laboratory you've ever seen! Everything explodes, boils, burns, smokes and zaps with electricity! Gothic expressionism galore!

The Wolfman Larry Talbot (the one and only Lon Chaney Jr.) broods on his terrible fate, and kills some people here and there every night the moon is full (and I mean EVERY night. Thrice a week).

Esmeralda likes Larry. Daniel hates Larry. Karloff likes no one.
    Larry eats Esmeralda, but not before Esmeralda wounds Larry mortally (out of love, with a silver bullet made out of her crucifix. Aw. Truer love hath no dogfood).

Daniel in grief and anger attacks Karloff. Monster kills Daniel. Angry torch-bearing village mob (having waited on the side for mandatory appearance) burn castle. Monster escapes with wounded Karloff only to find watery death in cork-filled water passing for quicksand.
    The end.

If it sounds terrible, that's because it is...but the classic Universal set pieces, the iconic faces, the wonderful black and white photography and the sheer mood and atmosphere made me enjoy this bit of fluff about a ZILLION times more than the multi-million Van Helsing fiasco.
    Heartily recommended for a dark and stormy night!

I really REALLY can't disagree at all. Spot on! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

If you had read what I actually wrote, you would have noticed that I didn't. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh Jordi... face-palm-mt

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If you had read what I actually wrote, you would have noticed that I didn't. smile

I honestly thought that too M. Haha the joke's on us then. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The finale of Ashes To Ashes airs tonight on BBC One. Though no where near as good as Life On Mars, tonight's episode will reveal the truth behind everything, and crucially, the 'purpose' of Gene Hunt. Should be interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

i KNOW, I read "Karloff" somewhere in your review but it was still funny to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote

Here's my review in a link.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

Lancelot's fanfarre is the best fanfarre I ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wrong thread.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote

Like I said : vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you still vomiting after you saw my clip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote

Good god. Jesus fucking christ.

Fuck. Me.

Shit.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Are you still vomiting after you saw my clip?

Kidding of course... Kate is very delectable. love

Steven wrote

Good god. Jesus fucking christ.

Fuck. Me.

Shit.

DOWN BOY !!!!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote
    Robin Hood (2010)

I have mixed feelings about this one. It is not a fun movie as most of the Robin Hood movies are but it's not a problem for me, I love serious movies. But it is not as dramatic as for instance Braveheart or The Last Samurai. I mean, emotionally it is quite flat and that's something I don't like. I really missed emotional, strongly dramatic scenes from this movie.
    The last third of the rather long movie became a bit more dramatic and more action-packed than the rest and I think Scott's visual style could only be noticed here.
    As for the music, it sounded very generic but by the end when the big battle scene arrived it became more alive and achieved that the melody stayed in my head when coming out of the cinema.

Agree.

but I enjoyed it a lot while I was watching it. Maybe because I didn't have any good expectations about his movie...

So, for someone who loved Gladiator (also due to the music indeed), is this a film of equal pleasures or the uninspired cousin?

I think if I saw both films for the first time today, and saw ROBIN HOOD first, I'd call it better. GLADIATOR isn't that good as revenge tale - the last third borders on incoherent, like many period blockbusters.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

Ahhhh, that wonderful Darfur starvation look I've been hearing so much about.
    Very refined.

She can't weigh very much more than 40 kilos there.
    Tyra Banks would be so proud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you serious? No you're not; in case you are, get lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite serious.
    I really like women with actually discernible hips, buttocks and breasts, however unfashionable that may be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited
    That's alight but how the one cancels the other? Can you seriously suggest that you don't like her? She's not an anorexic stick, she's a gorgeous woman who also managed to maintain such a body even after giving birth. And the video is shot and produced by her husband if i am not mistaken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry mate, but she IS an anorexic stick.
    A weird, thin anorexic with breast implants (oh yeah. She's done The Plastic).

It's ridiculous. Unnaturally thin, disguised by surgery.
    freezing

NOT my cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :shrug: Talking to you about women sometimes can be such a burden......like trying to logically argue with a fat chick who's dismissing every beautiful woman around her as fake and plastic anorexic chick simply because she could never let go of the fork, spoon and chicken and actually try and loose some weight herself;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

freezing

*high five*

...wait, that's not what you meant is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    dismissing every beautiful woman around her as fake and plastic anorexic

Even when they demonstrably are?

If you like that sort of thing, be my guest.
    But to me the whole rail-thin/double-D cup look is starting to be more like a carnival show rather than a beauty pageant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    dismissing every beautiful woman around her as fake and plastic anorexic

Even when they demonstrably are?

I prefer the picture that was taken before the horrible accident she had, which made her swell up like that.

But at least it gave her the opportunity to make a career move from meaningless little films like Much Ado About Nothing, Brokedown Palace and The Aviator, to big Hollywood productions like Vacancy and the Underworld franchise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

freezing

NOT my cup of tea.

I had a close look at her legs ( a tough job but someone has to ) and arms and she doesn't look anorexic to me, neither is she unnaturally thin, she's still too shapely for any of what you've said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's my point. Look at Keira Knightley for instance. I'd agree 100% with Martijn if that was the case. But this here clearly isn't.