• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    THE ROAD

Much distressing, another example of the trip and journey, the characters and the thoughts in your mind the movie evokes, rather than the end result or the reasons behind the distress and the passions the characters go by which aren't analyzed at all, they're not the point here. Speaking of which, i am not entirely sure i had to sit through all of this to get that very point. The music is nice on Cd but a bit troubling and impersonal on some scenes...i think with a different, more prominent musical approach, it would make much a bigger impact (James Newton Howard's "i am legend" comes to mind, for instance).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Independence Day is currently showing on Film4.
    Shame about the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You can mute it and enjoy the freed images and Will Smith without his annoying voice.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You find his voice annoying? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I shouldn't have said that. I was sliding into the volcano and made that comment.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're certainly sliding into something. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Shame about the score.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Steven wrote
    Shame about the score.

wink applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...and it's still as godawful as I remember it being. Not as bad as a Michael Bay movie, but still bloody terrible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    ...and it's still as godawful as I remember it being. Not as bad as a Michael Bay movie, but still bloody terrible.

It's a shame really because the opening 15-20 minutes or so are actually promising.

and then it turns into one of the worst blockbusters ever made.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I liked the idea of an updated War Of The Worlds (which it is, really)...but it never really panned out that way. sad
    Not a favourite movie of mine by any means (it doesn't help that I find Will Smith extremely annoying at the best of times).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Can't believe the hate for ID4. sad

I loved it in 1996. I've watched it about 15 times since then. One of the most entertaining flicks I've ever seen.

It beats the hell out of The Dark Knight.

Oh my now I've started something. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

It really doesn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can't believe the hate for ID4. sad

I loved it in 1996. I've watched it about 15 times since then. One of the most entertaining flicks I've ever seen.

I love it, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It really doesn't.

No, it doesn't. It's good popcorn fun, whilst The Dark Knight is a quite a "serious" film that's just as enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's entertaining in places, but infinitely more cliched and stupid. Plus the whole America, Fuck Yeah! side of it. vomit sleep

The Dark Knight is my kinda blockbuster. love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think most of us here have our own personal 'I know this film is universally considered crap but I love it'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    It's entertaining in places, but infinitely more cliched and stupid. Plus the whole America, Fuck Yeah! side of it. vomit sleep

And the dog.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, I liked the idea of an updated War Of The Worlds (which it is, really)...but it never really panned out that way. sad
    Not a favourite movie of mine by any means (it doesn't help that I find Will Smith extremely annoying at the best of times).

The whole 'giant, city sized space ships hovering over all the worlds great cities' idea was nicked from Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, which was originally going to be made into a film, the funny thing is that now, if the film got made, it would be claimed the idea of giant ships blah blah was nicked off of ID 4.

And, Will Smith....annoying?

^
    FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh my now I've started something. tongue

It must be one of the lowest intelligence films ever. It's so cheesily underestimating its audience's intelligence it actually aches and the yet again and so 90's america theme is disgustingly portrayed. The score though, the score is the only justification for its poor existence. I am not saying you shouldn't be liking it if that's what you do, but 15 times mate? Seriously? Why not invest some of that time to investigate perhaps lesser know but more valuable and / or simply different aspects of world cinema?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

And, Will Smith....annoying?

^
    FACT!

sad

You're all mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    It must be one of the lowest intelligence films ever. It's so cheesily underestimating its audience's intelligence it actually aches and the yet again and so 90's america theme is disgustingly portrayed. The score though, the score is the only justification for its poor existence. I am not saying you shouldn't be liking it if that's what you do, but 15 times mate? Seriously? Why not invest some of that time to investigate perhaps lesser know but more valuable and / or simply different aspects of world cinema?

I've watched the film dozens of times and LOVE every moment of it.

Actually, you know what D... I do find some of your comments extremely insulting. ID4 is nothing more than a popcorn adventure film. It wasn't suppose to be anything more than that. And if someone happens to like or love that film doesn't mean that they have a low IQ. And if someone wants to watch one of their favorite films 5 billion times what's it to you? Maybe "world cinema" isn't there thing? But then again, that makes them stupid does it? But then again I seem to remember you LOVING The Happening which is quite possibly the most idiotic film ever made... so what does that make you?

See my point?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In D's defense, I don't think he was accusing that if you enjoy a stupid film you yourself are stupid.

Not that I want to get involved.
    Okay, I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, in fact quite the opposite: he said the film does underestimate the viewers' intelligence.
    And whether or not you're entertained by that, it does.
    I cannot but agree.

Not that I'd want to get involved.
    Obviously.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We should hang out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I felt that as a movie it was underestimating my intelligence and the audience's as well. I described how the movie made ME felt and how I see it. If you read my post exactly, i also wrote:

Christodoulides wrote

I am not saying you shouldn't be liking it if that's what you do...

I don't care if you love the film, it's your right to do so and i said that as it's also you're right to like whatever you want. But if you're getting touchy and insulted so easily it's not my problem really; you're such a big no-go in some territories, like a big baby.

Get over it.

For me
    , The president of the friggin US boarding an f-14 or whatever that plane was and blowing up aliens is nowhere near the happening or many other movies for the matter.

There's so much more movies out there, same goes for composers, getting overlooked 'cause of some people being glued to the same subjects all the time. I don't give a fuck if you like it so much it's your problem, but watching it 15 times is a bit of an over-kill imo, that's what i am pointing at.

But in general, I don't know, do whatever you want. But if you want to have the right to declare it around in forums as an actual argument, then i also have the right to call it crap and unintelligent IF it's how i perceive it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    We should hang out.

Yeah. On, like, a forum or summat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not really looking for anything serious.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I love it, too!

-Erik-

same here, ID4 is for me what popcorn is all about, but the thing that elevates it completely is the cast, or goddamn funny (Judd Hirsh is goddamn hilarious), overblown macho behavior (of course Will Smith) or seriously patriotic (Bill Pullman really makes for a good president), they all pull in their weight. And then I'm even forgetting the 2 most brilliant roles, Goldblum and Quaid. They are awesome. Put that alongside killer special effects, a brilliant score and a superb sound design and you've got top entertainment that will always deliver me the highest thrills

10 out of 10 hands down punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    (10 out of (10 hands down)) punk

Yeah. I agree.

Steven wrote
    I'm not really looking for anything serious.

Oh, I completely agree.
    Just casual sex.
    Preferably not with you.