• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Martijn wrote

Steven wrote
    I'm not really looking for anything serious.

Oh, I completely agree.
    Just casual sex.
    Preferably not with you.

Good lord. College flashbacks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    For me[/i], The president of the friggin US boarding an f-14 or whatever that plane was and blowing up aliens is nowhere near the happening or many other movies for the matter.

It's a popcorn adventure film. Is it any sillier than Luke Skywalker boarding an X-Wing fighter (which he has NEVER flown before - at least the President was a former F-14 pilot) and blowing up the Death Star single handedly. Some of you really have a hard time letting loose and letting a film entertain which is all that ID4 wanted to do.

Christodoulides wrote
    There's so much more movies out there, same goes for composers, getting overlooked 'cause of some people being glued to the same subjects all the time. I don't give a fuck if you like it so much it's your problem, but watching it 15 times is a bit of an over-kill imo, that's what i am pointing at.

It's NOT overkill. I've seen Raiders HUNDREDS of times. Star Wars HUNDREDS of times. The list goes on. If you love a certain film and if it continues to entertain after multiple viewing then why not watch it 20-30-40 times.

Christodoulides wrote
    But in general, I don't know, do whatever you want. But if you want to have the right to declare it around in forums as an actual argument, then i also have the right to call it crap and unintelligent IF it's how i perceive it.

You have every right to call a film crap but don't go around belittling someone because they so happen to LOVE that crap film. Actually, world cinema could learn a few things from ID4... More 'splosions that better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It beats the hell out of The Dark Knight.

It really doesn't.

No, it doesn't. It's good popcorn fun, whilst The Dark Knight is a quite a "serious" film that's just as enjoyable.

Well I tried and I only found the "serious" TDK half as entertaining as the "dumb" ID4. I'm sorry if stupid films can entertain me more than the intelligent ones. Uhm no, I'm not sorry at all... it's like that, that's all.

But I can be totally entertained by stuff like District 9 as well. It all depends, do the elements of the film catch my interest?
    In the case of Independence Day:
    - sci-fi... check
    - alien invasion... check
    - explosions and effects... check
    - mankind fights back... check
    - all ends well... hell yes!

My kind of blockbuster. smile

Timmer wrote
    And, Will Smith....annoying?

^
    FACT!

NOT!

Will was awesome! My kind of hero.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

It's NOT overkill. I've seen Raiders HUNDREDS of times. Star Wars HUNDREDS of times. The list goes on. If you love a certain film and if it continues to entertain after multiple viewing then why not watch it 20-30-40 times.

Nothing to do with D's point here, but for me personally the reason I don't watch a film that many times is that I don't want it to lose its novelty. I physically can't bring myself to watch a film that many times regardless of how much I love it. A hundred times for me would be crazy!

I haven't watched Back To The Future for about 2 or 3 years now, my favourite films, and I'm still happy to wait for the Blu-Ray boxset until I watch it again. I have a very vivid memory of nearly every scene, and that for me is enough. I don't need to see it every year, month or week! (But that's me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's a popcorn adventure film. Is it any sillier than Luke Skywalker boarding an X-Wing fighter (which he has NEVER flown before - at least the President was a former F-14 pilot) and blowing up the Death Star single handedly.

angry Hey!
    Luke had the Force!

The last US president to wield that was Ronald Reagan. Not some fancy F14 jock.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

You have every right to call a film crap but don't go around belittling someone because they so happen to LOVE that crap film.

I never did that. You thought i did.

Actually, world cinema could learn a few things from ID4... More 'splosions that better!

-Erik-

I rest my case.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Will was awesome!

Will was cheesier than a Gorgonzola-Danish double sandwich, sprinkled with Brie, roasted in molten Gruyère, and topped off with Cheez-Whiz.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

- sci-fi... check

You forget to mention:

- Over the top Americana
    - Weak, cliched characters
    - Weak, cliched script
    -.... it's just stupid

Those are the reasons I dislike it so much. Just depends on what you're willing to ignore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It beats the hell out of The Dark Knight.

It really doesn't.

No, it doesn't. It's good popcorn fun, whilst The Dark Knight is a quite a "serious" film that's just as enjoyable.

Well I tried and I only found the "serious" TDK half as entertaining as the "dumb" ID4. I'm sorry if stupid films can entertain me more than the intelligent ones. Uhm no, I'm not sorry at all... it's like that, that's all.

You know what funny is that one of the most idiotic sequences I've ever seen since "zoom in and enhance" is the bullsheyat cellphone 3D imaging thing that The Dark Knight uses at the end of the movie to kick bad guy ass. That shit belongs in CSI: Miami.... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooo, I love it when they do that.
    0.5 megapixel security cam
    "enhance!"
    BOOM! 5 billion gigapixel zoom-in detail!
  2. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

- sci-fi... check

You forget to mention:

- Over the top Americana
    - Weak, cliched script
    -.... it's just stupid

Those are the reasons I dislike it so much. Just depends on what you're willing to ignore.

Can I ignore ALL of those you mentioned?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oooo, I love it when they do that.
    0.5 megapixel security cam
    "enhance!"
    BOOM! 5 billion gigapixel zoom-in detail!

The greatest overkill in that subject is Tony Scott's DEJA VU. vomit
  3. Erik Woods wrote

You know what funny is that one of the most idiotic sequences I've ever seen since "zoom in and enhance" is the bullsheyat cellphone 3D imaging thing that The Dark Knight uses at the end of the movie to kick bad guy ass. That shit belongs in CSI: Miami.... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

-Erik-

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. One of those scenes I instantly forgot about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    You forget to mention:

- Over the top Americana
    - Weak, cliched script
    -.... it's just stupid

Ignore the whole movie?
    Sure, that's we've been advising you in the first place.

wink

Here's the thing: I did enjoy the film when I saw it, in an utterly mindless fun rollercoaster kinda way.
    All the idiotic bits (well, most of 'em) only hit home afterwards.

I've not seen the film since, nor do I have any inclination to.
    It would to me not be unlike to re-chew a piece of bubblegum I enjoyed, but then parked underneath my chair for a decade...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

That was kind of my point.
  4. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    You forget to mention:

- Over the top Americana
    - Weak, cliched script
    -.... it's just stupid

Ignore the whole movie?
    Sure, that's we've been advising you in the first place.

wink

Well advice can either be followed or ignored. Since I'm in my ignore mode, I'll do just that thank you very much.

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What are you doing in a forum if you're in the ignore mode?
  5. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

That was kind of my point.

Your point was beside the point. Point that out from now on, will you?

Oh and Steven, go point yourself !!! tongue

Feel free to ignore my point.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    What are you doing in a forum if you're in the ignore mode?

Oh my, I can't say anything right today. shocked

You can give advice. I can choose to follow or ignore. You know, freedom of forum-speech and all...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Freedom of speech?
    uhm
    What do you think this is?
    A democracy?

I have a good mind to ban you, just on principle.
  7. I knew you'd say that. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll just ignore that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Will was awesome!

Will was cheesier than a Gorgonzola-Danish double sandwich, sprinkled with Brie, roasted in molten Gruyère, and topped off with Cheez-Whiz.

You forgot cheese strings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    That shit belongs in CSI: Miami.... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

-Erik-

YEAH
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. Hell, following this discussion is like watching ID4.

There´s explosions, there´s over the top acting, there´s speeches containing democracy, freedom, principles...
    A little bit Americana, bad dialogue, cliched characters...

biggrin

In all honesty, I watch this movie again every couple of years.
    I really love the first half; I think it´s a fantastic build-up.
    The second half, however, is so full of crap that the only thing that saves it for me is actually the chemistry between Goldblum and Smith, believe it or not.

As I´ve written before, part of the problem is the shameless scoring in the second half. It only serves to enhance the ridiculousness the movie becomes.

But it is a fantastic piece of effect work, though, and the score itself IS highly enjoyable throughout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Freedom of speech?
    uhm
    What do you think this is?
    A democracy?

I have a good mind to ban you, just on principle.

Democracy isn't working mates; look what happened to the country that gave birth to it.
  9. I would just like to put a thought out there.

I'm more likely to watch INDEPENDENCE DAY again than:

- Watching FOUNTAIN or REQUIEM FOR A DREAM again
    - Watching THE LAST AIRBENDER or either TRANSFORMERS film the first time
    - Watching MARS ATTACKS again

Just thought I'd add that.

(Of course, the deeper truth is that I'll probably watch none of those films!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Katherine, you're full of mystery! I already like you.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Katherine, I agree with you. Let's go and trash New Orleans.
  10. Only people who think Stanley and Iris is better than ALL of Desplat's works put together get to call me Katharine. If the sensible people started doing it, it might get confused for there being something strange about me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am