• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    Just to put in my tuppence that I too agree with Pawel and Martijn on Trek III, I love the film and love the score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...but Pawel and I part ways on Trek 1.
    Ye Gods, to consider that ponderous, overblown, underscripted, overintellectualized, narratively hyperextended, pompous whale of a film "one of the VERY best SF movies I have ever seen" is a little disturbing to me (and every single other critic in the world!).

Goldsmith's score though is the inverse opposite of every single other factor in the film: utter brilliance and a landmark in every respect.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...but Pawel and I part ways on Trek 1.
    Ye Gods, to consider that ponderous, overblown, underscripted, overintellectualized, narratively hyperextended, pompous whale of a film "one of the VERY best SF movies I have ever seen" is a little disturbing to me (and every single other critic in the world!).

Goldsmith's score though is the inverse opposite of every single other factor in the film: utter brilliance and a landmark in every respect.

Again, I agree with you Martijn but I'm actually thankful the film is what it is simply because I don't believe we'd have had JG's magnificent score as we hear it now without what the critics dubbed the film at the time....Star Trek : The Motionless Picture.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I love TMP for its sense of awe and wonder. I never fail to be awestruck with that film, and a lot of that awe comes from Jerry's brilliant score. But the visuals, how dated they are now, are still wondrous to look at. The producers clearly wanted a 2001: A Space Odyssey kind of visually stylistic sci-fi film instead of the campy adventures of the series.

The new director's edition has the best sound and picture this movie has ever had, to see it much improved from the way it was shown theatrically also helps my enjoyment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. The new director's edition also makes certain cuts, so the story flows better, reportedly. I saw all director cuts.

One thing that I am aware of being changed is that in the original cut V'ger had "82 AU" of size which was regarded ridiculous". Director's edition cuts the 80 part out of it, so V'ger has a realistic 2 AU of size.

I guess the more intellectual part is what appeals to me in Star Trek in general and this is why I loved TMP so much.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. And it just occured to me that Trek III has my favorite line in all three movies I've seen:

Kirk after stealing the Enterprise: "Gentlemen, your work today has been outstanding and I intend to recommend you all for promotion... in whatever fleet we end up serving."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And it just occured to me that Trek III has my favorite line in all three movies I've seen:

Kirk after stealing the Enterprise: "Gentlemen, your work today has been outstanding and I intend to recommend you all for promotion... in whatever fleet we end up serving."

Nah!

Kirk : My god bones, what have I done?

Bones : What you always do Jim, turn death into a fighting chance.

sorry if I got any of that wrong.
  4. That was pretty good too, I failed to precise that I meant humour.

BTW, William Shatner is even better than that. About reality against series. He goes on how he has a normal life and then adds this:

"And yes, I did go where no man went before, but I was in Mexico and her father allowed me!" lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Micmacs
    Jean Pierre Jeunet's latest movie is a delight. It is visually enthralling, full of loveable and weird characters, it is funny and ironic. I would recommmend it to everybody who loved his earlier works.

As for Iron Man 2, I agree with everybody who disliked this movie. A completely uninteresting and unfunny two hours. It has virtually no story to tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    CHLOE

Unusually numb - for an Atom Egoyan film. sexual thriller that has the optimism to walk on the lines of success of his previous film, WHERE THE TRUTH LIES, but it's not up to that league. It's slow and a bit unfocused, but at least it futures a decent story, a great moody score by Danna and strong performances by the lead duo, to deserve at least a viewing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Romancing the Stone

The Jewel of the Nile

Say what you will about these, but they still provide some great entertainment. I know in my youth 'Romancing' was the least viewed of the two, as the second was so much funnier but now I have to agree it does have more staying power than the sequel. But at least 'Jewel' is loads of fun as well, in a happy, let your self go, nostalgic kind of way. Danny De Vito steals the shows, and he knows it.

Silvestri's score in the original is more pronounced as well, but Jack Nitzche's simple approach works too for such an uncomplicated sequel.

I loved seeing them again, it brings back warm fuzzy feelings of watching the VHS endlessly and having a great time as a kid.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010
    Robin Hood (2010)

I have mixed feelings about this one. It is not a fun movie as most of the Robin Hood movies are but it's not a problem for me, I love serious movies. But it is not as dramatic as for instance Braveheart or The Last Samurai. I mean, emotionally it is quite flat and that's something I don't like. I really missed emotional, strongly dramatic scenes from this movie.
    The last third of the rather long movie became a bit more dramatic and more action-packed than the rest and I think Scott's visual style could only be noticed here.
    As for the music, it sounded very generic but by the end when the big battle scene arrived it became more alive and achieved that the melody stayed in my head when coming out of the cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marc Streitenfield, equals for generic anyway. wink
  6. I watched Let The Right One In the other night.

"Interesting" is probably how I would sum up the film. A bit slow and I almost threw in the towel half way through it. It was the interaction between Oskar and Eli that kept me going till the end.

I'm glad that I heard the score before I saw the film though. I thought that the music was way too intrusive in 2-3 occasions; particularly when the score became all emotional.

Not a film I'll be returning to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I felt the same way. About film and score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    I think Marc Streitenfeld has improved considerably with the Robin Hood score though. After the quite dull Body Of Lies score, I think his orchestral writing in this one was much better than what I expected. Despite being an RC composer there were almost no synths/electronics here and the orchestrations were very good, the mixing of the brass and strings was crystal clear. I hope he keeps getting better with future projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote
    Robin Hood (2010)

I have mixed feelings about this one. It is not a fun movie as most of the Robin Hood movies are but it's not a problem for me, I love serious movies. But it is not as dramatic as for instance Braveheart or The Last Samurai. I mean, emotionally it is quite flat and that's something I don't like. I really missed emotional, strongly dramatic scenes from this movie.
    The last third of the rather long movie became a bit more dramatic and more action-packed than the rest and I think Scott's visual style could only be noticed here.
    As for the music, it sounded very generic but by the end when the big battle scene arrived it became more alive and achieved that the melody stayed in my head when coming out of the cinema.

Agree.

but I enjoyed it a lot while I was watching it. Maybe because I didn't have any good expectations about his movie...
  7. Moon

Boy am I glad I knew nothing about this one, except it was sci-fi, it was set on the moon and featured only one principal character, that was more than enough to get me intruiged. I don't think I even saw the trailer, or I must've forgotten everything because this film suprised me in a good way.

It's not a modern classic IMO, but it's definitely worthy of its place in the genre as a wholly original sci-fi film with a thought-provoking plot. Visual design is top notch, I really felt the story took place on the moon sometime in the future. But I was dumbstruck how the director made the story progress as it does. I mean, this guy has serious talent, apart from being David Bowie's son. If he can maintain the same quality in future projects, he'll surely make a name for himself without the son of ... addition. Sam Rockwell is very believable as well, performing on the edge of sanity and insanity and doing it without exaggerating. And Kevin Spacey's droid Gerty was very appropriately unemotional during the whole film so no faults there either.

The score by Clint Mansell has its purpose in the film, but it's not something I'll be listening to much outside of it. But I may get to revisit this film in the future, because it's that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The film is fantastic. It's a modern classic indeed, as you say as well. The score works wonders. It's quite a difficult and minimalistic listen outside that, but still it works and elevates it flawlessly. Mansell's work is very impressive from Requiem for a dream onwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote
    Robin Hood (2010)

Agree.

but I enjoyed it a lot while I was watching it. Maybe because I didn't have any good expectations about his movie...

So, for someone who loved Gladiator (also due to the music indeed), is this a film of equal pleasures or the uninspired cousin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I'd say the "uninspired cousin" - mostly due to the lack of emotions and real drama as I mentioned above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, what i suspected. The music is no different either, except for the main theme, first heard at Fate has smiled upon us...the recording sounds a bit dry and shallow though.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    The film is fantastic. It's a modern classic indeed, as you say as well. The score works wonders. It's quite a difficult and minimalistic listen outside that, but still it works and elevates it flawlessly. Mansell's work is very impressive from Requiem for a dream onwards.

I said it's not a modern classic actually, not yet in my book anyway, but seeing it's only my first viewing, it could turn out into one when I watch it a couple of times over the years to come. Well until 2012 comes and puts us all right into the stone age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote
    I'd say the "uninspired cousin" - mostly due to the lack of emotions and real drama as I mentioned above.

I agree too. An Uninspired Cousin.

But I find it very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    The music is no different either, except for the main theme, first heard at Fate has smiled upon us...

There are plenty of variations of the main theme in the movie, all of them really really good.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The music is no different either, except for the main theme, first heard at Fate has smiled upon us...

There are plenty of variations of the main theme in the movie, all of them really really good.

On cd it sounds awful mate; it's just boring auto pilot chords here and there. the Persia score by HGW is much much better.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I watched Let The Right One In the other night.

"Interesting" is probably how I would sum up the film. A bit slow and I almost threw in the towel half way through it. It was the interaction between Oskar and Eli that kept me going till the end.

I'm glad that I heard the score before I saw the film though. I thought that the music was way too intrusive in 2-3 occasions; particularly when the score became all emotional.

it's really a slow moving film, and I'm sure the American remake will do it much smoother. But for me it are the beautiful poetic scenes (the chainsaw in the ice is magnificent) and the occasional moments of horror that do it for me.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

On cd it sounds awful mate; it's just boring auto pilot chords here and there. the Persia score by HGW is much much better.

I'll say it another way: the variations of the heroic theme, with the visuals, are really good. Not a score I'll return to though. It is indeed a RC on autopilot kind of score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I watched Let The Right One In the other night.

it's really a slow moving film, and I'm sure the American remake will do it much smoother. But for me it are the beautiful poetic scenes (the chainsaw in the ice is magnificent) and the occasional moments of horror that do it for me.

An american remake would be full of cliches. The original is human-centric and a very touching story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'll say it another way: the variations of the heroic theme, with the visuals, are really good. Not a score I'll return to though. It is indeed a RC on autopilot kind of score.

I haven't watched the film yet, i have to admit. But i doubt i will. It's got nothing to draw me there, especially the reviews i've read and its music that i've heard.