• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

 
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Marley and Me

    Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.


    Heheh! Classic chick flick viewed by a couple case smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marley and Me

    Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.


    Heheh! Classic chick flick viewed by a couple case smile


    But Owen Wilson (!) and Jennifer Aniston (!!) with Teddy Shapiro scoring it, that's a recipe to avoid my friend. You're brave smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marley and Me

    Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.


    I'll not be watching this! You wouldn't catch Mel watching this either.

    Was Mrs Southall that upset by watching such rubbish?


    If you're not touched by this movie then you're not a dog lover. slant

    I was devastated by the end of the film. As I will be when my dog's life ends. cry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    cat
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Something else entirely:

    Watchmen on blu-ray

    Two views of the regular cut and a now third one of the director's cut: I appreciate this film for its awesome visuals and audio and attempt to make something else than the usual Hollywood drivel. I didn't love this at first, because I don't know the graphic novel this is based on, but I still find it an interesting take on the superhero genre, this one being dark and gritty and with flawed heroes for once. Set in 1985 in an alternate reality, the movie tells the tale of a couple of have-been superheroes, and how they have to respond to a threat of worldwide nuclear destruction. Visually this movie is brilliant, the way director Zach Snyder makes every shot an artistic marvel to look at is the main attraction, and the brilliant audio is the finishing touch, from the superb sound effects mixing to the warm integration of many classic songs which never sounded better, this movie is a true experience for the home cinema nut. The sequence involving Dr. Manhattan's story and how he became to be is a highlight in how it is executed. It's not for everyone though, because the film feels very fragmented in its build-up and character development and its lack of focus is sometimes jarring. One that rewards repeated viewings that's for sure. I find the director's cut a tad more entertaining than the theatrical one. Though it has its faults I think I'll like this one better the more I watch it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Not a word about the crap score wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Rightly so.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marley and Me

    Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.


    Heheh! Classic chick flick viewed by a couple case smile


    And on a related note... The Crying Wife.
    http://cryingwife.com/_/videos.html
    dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Martijn wrote
    cat

    ^
    cat
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Not a word about the crap score wink


    I must admit, the score wasn't that bad in the film, it was especially good during the "The sequence involving Dr. Manhattan's story and how he became to be" wink

    but then again, you expected nothing else of me right? tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Well, i was neutral. The score was very impersonal, did nothing to me but it's not his worst in any case. Still, compared to the outstanding source music, it paled violently.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i was neutral. The score was very impersonal, did nothing to me but it's not his worst in any case. Still, compared to the outstanding source music, it paled violently.


    it's true, it could have been better, and the songs were very appropriate
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not a word about the crap score wink


    I must admit, the score wasn't that bad in the film, it was especially good during the "The sequence involving Dr. Manhattan's story and how he became to be" wink

    but then again, you expected nothing else of me right? tongue


    The Dr. Manhattan sequence was underscored by Philip Glass music right? It had that hypnotic feel about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i was neutral. The score was very impersonal, did nothing to me but it's not his worst in any case. Still, compared to the outstanding source music, it paled violently.


    Oh screw the score, I listened to the excellent audio mix, which is the most enveloping kickass aural experience I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    If i don't fall asleep halfway. That movie tired me a lot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not a word about the crap score wink


    I must admit, the score wasn't that bad in the film, it was especially good during the "The sequence involving Dr. Manhattan's story and how he became to be" wink

    but then again, you expected nothing else of me right? tongue


    The Dr. Manhattan sequence was underscored by Philip Glass music right? It had that hypnotic feel about it.


    don't know, but that was the only music that stayed with me, so if that's by someone else, then nuff said about the score smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not a word about the crap score wink


    I must admit, the score wasn't that bad in the film, it was especially good during the "The sequence involving Dr. Manhattan's story and how he became to be" wink

    but then again, you expected nothing else of me right? tongue


    The Dr. Manhattan sequence was underscored by Philip Glass music right? It had that hypnotic feel about it.


    don't know, but that was the only music that stayed with me, so if that's by someone else, then nuff said about the score smile
    smile

    Philip Glass, from the Koyaanisqatsi score, the 2nd track "Vessels" if i recall correctly. Find it and compare proper composition with meaningless soundscapes. The movie is mindblowing as well, although a bit depressing ("Koyaanisqatsi").
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    If i don't fall asleep halfway. That movie tired me a lot.


    It tired me on my first viewing too. It was a little too mumbo jumbo, know what I mean? But I guess this movie will come into its own on repeated viewings. Audiovisually it has enough of a kickass factor to keep me interested. And you know there's a nearly 3 hour and a half ultimate cut of Watchmen? I have enough with the DC which is already 3 hours long.

    Koyaanisqatsi, that must be it. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Yeah, very fragmented...random things out there...those scenes on Mars and all the philosophical mambo jumbo especially.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Philip Glass, from the Koyaanisqatsi score, the 2nd track "Vessels" if i recall correctly. Find it and compare proper composition with meaningless soundscapes. The movie is mindblowing as well, although a bit depressing ("Koyaanisqatsi").


    well, that says enough
    at least Schnyder knows how to use proper music from time to time as well smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. The Three Musketeers

    Was a while since I last saw this one, all in all okay if fairly standard, it's more tongue in cheek than serious. A sunday afternoon flick I call it. Kamen's music was good, but it seems half of it doesn't make the CD sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    The 1973 one is SO much more enjoyable!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Martijn wrote
    The 1973 one is SO much more enjoyable!


    oh, I don't doubt that one bit smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The 1973 one is SO much more enjoyable!


    By far! beer And what a cast it had! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The 1973 one is SO much more enjoyable!


    By far! beer And what a cast it had! cool


    wow, just looked at it on IMDB, very nice cast
    perhaps I'll download it one time smile

    how's the score by Michel Legrand?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    One of his best and most enjoyable! A very nice surprise indeed!
    And that's coming from a non-fan!

    (I prefer Lalo Schifrin's score for the follow-up The Four Musketeers, though. ALso VERY much worth the effort: same cast and director. In fact, it's really more like a part 2 of the same story thena different film (they were shot simultaneously too) )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Martijn wrote
    One of his best and most enjoyable! A very nice surprise indeed!
    And that's coming from a non-fan!

    (I prefer Lalo Schifrin's score for the follow-up The Four Musketeers, though. ALso VERY much worth the effort: same cast and director. In fact, it's really more like a part 2 of the same story thena different film (they were shot simultaneously too) )


    hmn, I'll have to download it now
    thanks for the heads up smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Schifrin's score is great though Martijn already knows I feel the Legrand edges it. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. okay okay, I get the picture smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    The Invisible Ray a neat little science fiction/thriller from Universal starring Karloff and Lugosi. The score was by Franz Waxman which is available as a suite on the Silva Bride of Frankenstein release.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!