• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    So's your face.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Martijn, you should have realized by now that Steven wants that candle dinner BADLY. He's mentioning it even in puns, in every given chance. Why don't you give it to him already?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I'll give it to him, alright.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    D's interested too, he's oiling his hands.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Well, you know. One has to benefit what he can from everything happening around him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I forsee an oiltastic time ahead.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    From the seventies onwards Brando was so enamoured by the plight of the native Americans that in every film he made he wished to express the cruelty of the White Men in obsessive and often ludicrous ways (he is rumoured to have suggested adding a scene to Christopher Columbus where the clergy was seen cooking natives, for no apparent reason).

Grotesque yes, but that actually happened. I remember reading the primary sources in school about the natives being boiled alive during the early encounters.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    -
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, cooking as a punishment for heresy and treason was well-established, but there is actually not direct proof that Columbus or his troops and successors had the time and the man power to indulge in practises like these (although obviously huge atrocities were committed).

In the eighties and nineties it became rather fashionable to consider Columbus as a genocidal psychopath who delighted in nothing else but great scores of horribly mutilated Indian bodies each day.

Interestingly it was the clergy (in the form of Spanish missionaries) who strongly protested the ill treatment of the natives and strongly advocated their right for self-determination.
    It's since also become clear that a lot of these stories are likely attributable to anti-Roman and anti- Inquisition political propaganda.

(Obviously I'm not saying the Inquisition and Torquemada were some sort of Justice League -far from it, in fact- , but they were as politicized as their opponents...and a lot of it stuck).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I can't remember if it was under Columbus' watch or whether it was later as I haven't really researched it, but I trust what you're saying as you seem to know what you're talking about. I just remember it horrified me at the time, so that's why it had stuck with me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    One of the sources I remember was Bartolomé de las Casas' A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies. His account is rather colourful, and if true, certainly horrific. He describes several horrors occuring on Hispaniola, which was the island with the earliest settlements.

It was written in 1542 though, 50 years after the arrival of Columbus, so I'm not sure how trustworthy it is. I wonder how historians view these writings.

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NW : Wonders of The Solar System
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's like the Americans today, civilizing other nations and restoring order by chopping heads off. It's all down to how you choose to see things wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    Star Trek: The Man Trap

Good episode! Interesting how well-formed the Kirk and McCoy characters were already, in the first broadcast episode. (Spock was a way off what he would become though.) My fears about the effects were completely dismissed here - the exterior planet shots were excellent, the Enterprise looked good. Much better than in The Cage.

I wonder about the widescreen though - presumably quite a bit of detail must be being lost from the top and bottom of the frame?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    I've seen an explanation on that...but I never understood a word. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    Cutthroat Island. On TV. Entertaining!
    Especialy after a long day of work with my lazy ass on the couch.
    I had never seen the movie before.

The music was OK. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregje wrote
    Cutthroat Island. On TV. Entertaining!
    Especialy after a long day of work with my lazy ass on the couch.
    I had never seen the movie before.

An underrated pirates / adventure movie. Much, much, MUCH better then the Pirates of the Carib..zzzz.zzzz saga. Good ol´times when Renny Harlin made great movies.

Bregje wrote
    The music was OK. wink

Whaat?! "Ok"? One of the best scores ever!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I'm sure she was just understating what we all know for a fact: Debney's Cutthroat Island is total brilliance and a must-buy for every film score fan.

I agree the movie is a lot better than cinema-goers gave it credit for. Why the hell this bombed and POTC not is beyond me. If anything Cutthroat is more of a real pirate movie than Dead Man's Chest and At World's End will ever be. Waiting for this on blu: Debney's score in DTS-HD !!!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm sure she was just understating what we all know for a fact: Debney's Cutthroat Island is total brilliance and a must-buy for every film score fan.

Yep, that's why I wanted to watch the movie in the first place. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm sure she was just understating what we all know for a fact: Debney's Cutthroat Island is total brilliance and a must-buy for every film score fan.

Yep, that's why I wanted to watch the movie in the first place. smile

I think the score is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah, just very good IMO, I don't get the fuss some people display over this score? I have the old CD release and I do struggle a bit to get through the whole thing but on the whole it's verry enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I still think it's great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010 edited
    Good for you.

But I did up my rating from 'good' to 'very good' wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I know for a fact that it's great.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One things for sure, I'd have farrrrr preferred a Debney score for the POTC films.

FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    One things for sure, I'd have farrrrr preferred a Debney score for the POTC films.

FACT!

Agreed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Nah, just very good IMO, I don't get the fuss some people display over this score?

I find that a little hard to believe!

Some scores are very easy to see why people love them, and CutThroat Island is one of them. It's blindingly obvious, for example, why people love Morricone's scores, even though I don't particularly enjoy them myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    The Lovely Bones

I have a bit of a problem with this one. I dont´know if I like it or not confused Good story, strong performances (Stanley Tucci is as sinister as he can be), good direction,.... Still, I have this feeling something is wrong.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nah, just very good IMO, I don't get the fuss some people display over this score?

I find that a little hard to believe!

Some scores are very easy to see why people love them, and CutThroat Island is one of them. It's blindingly obvious, for example, why people love Morricone's scores, even though I don't particularly enjoy them myself.

A Good point Steven, a bit of an un-thought out flippant comment from me there.