• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    THE SPIDER WOMAN, a Sherlock Holmes thriller with Rathbone. I've always enjoyed the series of films that he made with Nigel Bruce.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not very true to the books but they had so much charm to them, Rathbone will always be Sherlock Holmes for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Rathbone will always be Sherlock Holmes for me.

Count me in.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rathbone was the strong link. And the series used many of the same supporting actors/actresses.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010 edited
    RV: Green Zone - Paul Greengrass

Underwhelming. A bit of an odd one in the politics and truth in the story preventing it from being all out popcorn entertainment, but too much action to consider it a serious drama or portrayal of the war.

Powell's music works well in the film even if it is tedious on CD.

3/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Nah, just very good IMO, I don't get the fuss some people display over this score? I have the old CD release and I do struggle a bit to get through the whole thing but on the whole it's verry enjoyable.

It's a bit overrated, yes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    RV: Green Zone - Paul Greengrass

Underwhelming. A bit of an odd one in the politics and truth in the story preventing it from being all out popcorn entertainment, but too much action to consider it a serious drama or portrayal of the war.

Powell's music works well in the film even if it is tedious on CD.

3/5

Pass then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    The Lovely Bones

I have a bit of a problem with this one. I dont´know if I like it or not confused Good story, strong performances (Stanley Tucci is as sinister as he can be), good direction,.... Still, I have this feeling something is wrong.

Care to elaborate a bit more? I am very interested in this..and i loved the soothing music on Cd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The Lovely Bones

I have a bit of a problem with this one. I dont´know if I like it or not confused Good story, strong performances (Stanley Tucci is as sinister as he can be), good direction,.... Still, I have this feeling something is wrong.

Care to elaborate a bit more? I am very interested in this..and i loved the soothing music on Cd.

It is all the stuff from the girl´s heaven that I have a problem with. When the movie is focused on the main characters and the main story it is great, sad, disturbing (as I said, Stanley Tucci is pure evil and even Mark Whalberg is very good) and very well directed. But as soon as the action goes back to heaven with all those colours and terrible CGI I kinda disconnected.

The music os ok in the movie, didn´t know it was by Brian Eno. The song they used in the finale is terrible though. Can´t understand why Jackson didn´t use an original piece. It ruined it all IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The Lovely Bones

It is all the stuff from the girl´s heaven that I have a problem with. When the movie is focused on the main characters and the main story it is great, sad, disturbing (as I said, Stanley Tucci is pure evil and even Mark Whalberg is very good) and very well directed. But as soon as the action goes back to heaven with all those colours and terrible CGI I kinda disconnected.

The music os ok in the movie, didn´t know it was by Brian Eno. The song they used in the finale is terrible though. Can´t understand why Jackson didn´t use an original piece. It ruined it all IMO.

In all the reviews I read it was the cgi that came under most criticism.

The book is said to be very good?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nah, just very good IMO, I don't get the fuss some people display over this score? I have the old CD release and I do struggle a bit to get through the whole thing but on the whole it's verry enjoyable.

It's a bit overrated, yes.

We are now condemned to eternal damnation by Erik. wink
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    One things for sure, I'd have farrrrr preferred a Debney score for the POTC films.

FACT!

Agreed!

-Erik-

haha, excellent smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ohhhh! N-i-i-i-i-i-i-ice! smile

I love Cutthroat Island (the score, the film not so much). One of the true great adventure scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    The Cutthroat Island score has a great theme, but I don't enjoy listening to the whole album in one go. I can easily listen to POTC in one go, even though that's supposed to be headache inducing, but Cutthroat Island makes me reach for the aspirin within 15 minutes.

The movie is atrocious. I can't imagine how anyone can find it enjoyable.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010 edited
    CutThroat as a film is a guilty pleasure. It features some of the most impressive stunt sequences I've ever seen and one of the greatest explosions I've ever seen committed to film. The cinematography is gorgeous especially during the opening 5-6 minutes of the picture. That helicopter tracking shot to one of the pirate ships is breathtaking! And then there is "Bad Dawg!" One of the best worst lines ever delivered!

As for Debney's score... well, you know my stance. It's brilliant! One of the finest film scores ever written! A total throw back to the Golden Age of Hollywood. Absolute bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    2009 Lost Memories
    Korean sci-fi thriller with time travel, assassination attempts and changing history. I found it quite confusing and had to look up IMDB after it was over. An ok watch. The score is a bit on the ludicrous side with some blatant Media Ventures stuff and at other times incongruous with the action on the screen.

Rocket Singh - Salesman Of The Year
    Wow! A Bolly film that's thoroughly enjoyable to watch. A new trainee at a computer store gets a rude shock when he realizes that there's no place for honesty in the business and gets shunned by all at work. It's quite fun to watch how he outwits them and gets the tables get turned. Go Bolly! A nice score by the Salim-Suleiman brothers.
  2. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

the movie Cutthroat Island is what Pirates' all about, not like say POTC which was an overlong exercise to see Johnny Depp become crazier every time, take him away and people will fall asleep during the movies.

Nah, give me the good old spectacle of Cutthroat anytime

BAD DAWG cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    CutThroat as a film is a guilty pleasure. It features some of the most impressive stunt sequences I've ever seen and one of the great explosions I've ever seen committed to film. The cinematography is gorgeous especially during the opening 5-6 minutes of the picture. That helicopter tracking shot to one of the pirate ships is breathtaking! And then there is "Bad Dawg!" One of the best worst lines ever delivered!

-Erik-

yeah beer

Every Renny Harlin movie should have a huge explosion in it, and luckily most of them do !!! punk

Geena Davis was sweet in that role as well.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

the movie Cutthroat Island is what Pirates' all about, not like say POTC which was an overlong exercise to see Johnny Depp become crazier every time, take him away and people will fall asleep during the movies.

Nah, give me the good old spectacle of Cutthroat anytime

BAD DAWG cheesy

Well the first POTC is still the most fun you can have with pirates, next to Cutthroat... The other two I just don't want to remember having been made.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    Shutter Island

Loved the first hour and a half. Loathed the final half hour. I don't watch this many sort of movies, but the big twist immediately felt like something I'd seen before and ultimately wasn't that satisfying. Luckily all the build up to that was filled with the twisted creepy scenes I love things like Lost for.

But the ending didn't make sense. [spoiler]So were they going to kill him or release him? Did he have another relapse?[/spoiler]

One thing the movie could have done with was a good score! The classical music just didn't work that well, and I would have loved to see some dark, dissonant Goldenthal in there.

4/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Yeap, the movie is top stuff. Absolutely loved the way he used the music as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Thought I'd have a look at the movie. Wish I hadn't bothered. Awful script, awful voice acting, awful score.
  4. Would you say you weren't bothered by the art style?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Prince and the Pauper (1937) - It's a fun movie, not as well-paced or memorable as Keighley's latter Robin Hood, but has some splendid photography and an excellent Korngold score. Even though Errol Flynn got top billing, there wasn't enough of him IMO.

Now I have to get that re-recording of Korngold's score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would you say you weren't bothered by the art style?

Not particularly bothered. But it was odd that the animated representations of the familiar alien creatures were pretty close to the originals, but the humans looked nothing like who they were meant to be.
  5. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would you say you weren't bothered by the art style?

Not particularly bothered. But it was odd that the animated representations of the familiar alien creatures were pretty close to the originals, but the humans looked nothing like who they were meant to be.

Yeah, it looks much more like a kiddie cartoon than a real Star Wars entry for people brought up on the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it was a kiddie cartoon!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If only I'd known that before. I assumed it was just an animated extension of the Star Wars universe I already knew, not something fundamentally different. Still - I live and learn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're (were) lucky to still be so ignorant to it all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    The French Connection II

I was sure I had seen this before (I even "knew" that I liked it even more than the first one), but I couldn't remember any of it so I must have made that up. Anyway, it's great - and it probably is even better than the first one!

Ah, Gene Hackman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    I & II are brilliant and Gene Hackman is always class.