• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    I got a bit caught up in the post-LOTR Shore euphoria and I do like some of his music in this period, but I'm not sure he's such a great film composer. My favourite album of his post-LOTR is The Aviator but that makes no impact on the film at all. His music tends to be so turgid and colourless, especially in the thrillers (which is virtually all he scores). There's never much change of pace or flavour (I watched Eastern Promises recently and at first was struck by how well the theme worked - but then it appears over and over and over and over, maybe with subtle changes in its precise construction, but never any real variance from the same harmonic structure, it ends up just being irritating). The same thing is true to an extent even in LOTR (he doesn't actually DO anything with any of the themes, just restates them, but is rescued by virtue of there being so many of them - so it's only a small problem there).

This was the case with me too. And it has left me wondering how good Shore is overall.
    I do like THE DEPARTED and EASTERN PROMISES at heart, although they both suffer from this static theme repetition issue.
    Still, there's always THE YARDS, and CRASH, and THE GAME, all fine works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, you'll understand (or not) when you watch it. I can't really say much more without giving away too much. smile

I'm not really bothered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    I got a bit caught up in the post-LOTR Shore euphoria and I do like some of his music in this period, but I'm not sure he's such a great film composer. My favourite album of his post-LOTR is The Aviator but that makes no impact on the film at all. His music tends to be so turgid and colourless, especially in the thrillers (which is virtually all he scores). There's never much change of pace or flavour (I watched Eastern Promises recently and at first was struck by how well the theme worked - but then it appears over and over and over and over, maybe with subtle changes in its precise construction, but never any real variance from the same harmonic structure, it ends up just being irritating). The same thing is true to an extent even in LOTR (he doesn't actually DO anything with any of the themes, just restates them, but is rescued by virtue of there being so many of them - so it's only a small problem there).

This was the case with me too. And it has left me wondering how good Shore is overall.
    I do like THE DEPARTED and EASTERN PROMISES at heart, although they both suffer from this static theme repetition issue.
    Still, there's always THE YARDS, and CRASH, and THE GAME, all fine works.

I expected something in the lines of THE YARDS, for this new movie, to be honest. Maybe that's why i was disappointed. And it'd have fitted it very good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, you'll understand (or not) when you watch it. I can't really say much more without giving away too much. smile

I have very little interest in seeing this film, so spoil away!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    See, that's TWO of us.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Remember the spoiler tags. I want to watch it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Remember the spoiler tags. I want to watch it!

shame but of course.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

I expected something in the lines of THE YARDS, for this new movie, to be honest. Maybe that's why i was disappointed. And it'd have fitted it very good.

As I understand, this is more along the lines of what the Corigliano score was like - more about the emotional side of the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

As I understand, this is more along the lines of what the Corigliano score was like - more about the emotional side of the story.

There's no emotion in that music. If it had been like the YARDS, i'd agree with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Just finished season two of Life On Mars.

Shit.
    You weren't kidding when you said it'd be a heartbreaker, Timmer. sad

Absolutely loved that show. I'd love to give another watch.

What' is it about?

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_163819
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even after a week or so, the ending has completely stuck in my head.
    [spoiler]"I hate that channel."
    cry
    [/spoiler]
    The thing is that it really sneaks up on you and keeps you thinking for a long, long time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. A good ending. (You know what I mean... despite its upsetting nature.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What happened?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    to Leon Trotsky? he got an ice pick...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    A good ending. (You know what I mean... despite its upsetting nature.)

Yes, I do, and yes, it is. VERY!
    In fact it's given me an idea for a potentially interesting thread, but as I am now -on top of all the fun- laid up with a fever and sinusitis which prevents me from looking at a screen for longer than three minutes without developing a pounding headache, it'll be for later...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bugs are weird. I thought I was coming down with something last night, running nose, stinging eyes, sore throat, heady, and then this morning it's like I had nothing. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...maybe I should drink more? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    In fact it's given me an idea for a potentially interesting thread, but as I am now -on top of all the fun- laid up with a fever and sinusitis which prevents me from looking at a screen for longer than three minutes without developing a pounding headache, it'll be for later...

Oh, shit, I hate sinusitis! Remember to blow your nose alot, and rinse out the sinuses with salt water. Preparing some boiling water with menthol and breathing up the steam is also supposed to be good for the sinuses.

Peter slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm...maybe I should drink more? wink

No drink last night but I did eat a very hot Indian curry shame <--HOT! wink

Chili like garlic = cure all
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Bugs are weird. I thought I was coming down with something last night, running nose, stinging eyes, sore throat, heady, and then this morning it's like I had nothing. confused

Ah you're saved! I've been down with a nasty flu and am just getting on the mend.
    Last night I saw that youtube has the full 2.5 hour movie of Raja Babu. There is nothing more fun on this planet! Full of silliness, facepalms and laughs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqQ9HGt4FA#t=58m13s
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited
    The Hurt Locker

Seriously captivating and tense but nowhere near what I would call an Oscar-contender. But then I didn't see many contenders past year, or I flat out missed them. Strong points are the realism in the situations and how the scenes play out, without being all out gruesome in the explosions and terrorist activities in various locations around Iraq. There's only one scene that I would call gory and it's very subdued compared to some other stuff I've seen in recent years. The movie centres on a bomb disposal team, more importantly on one guy going in without thinking about the risks or consequences. This guy's recklessness affects his other squad-members and we get to see how they try to survive in the hellhole of war, that is if that guy doesn't get them killed first. Basically the movie is just one suspense scene after the next, with very little character development. From an action standpoint, the film has its merits, but to call it best film of the year is a little farfetched. Avatar gripped me much more, and so did District 9, and maybe some others which I can't remember right now.

But Kathryn Bigelow did a marvelous job directing it, so at least that would be deserved.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    TROPIC THUNDER

A movie that relies on sounds made by Robert Downey Jr. who acts like and plays a psychotic 'nigga', Ben Stiller mocking people with special needs, a heroin-addicted (Mr.Black) puppet that just drags along and adds nothing and a stupid geek that's just along for the ride. Oh and there's supposed to be some mocking of war movies, like PLATOON, but comes along as childish and uninspired hollywood humor with no intelligence. And there's a score that rips 300 and BlackHawk Down too. Serves me right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    TROPIC THUNDER

A movie that relies on sounds made by Robert Downey Jr. who acts like and plays a psychotic 'nigga', Ben Stiller mocking people with special needs, a heroin-addicted (Mr.Black) puppet that just drags along and adds nothing and a stupid geek that's just along for the ride. Oh and there's supposed to be some mocking of war movies, like PLATOON, but comes along as childish and uninspired hollywood humor with no intelligence. And there's a score that rips 300 and BlackHawk Down too. Serves me right.

And it is one hour longer than it should. Well, actually it is two hour longer than it should.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hated it too. The only worthwhile bit was Tom Cruise. And that's saying something!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I loved it. It's a silly movie, and I love silly movies. The actors make this film. (Literally.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Hated it too. The only worthwhile bit was Tom Cruise. And that's saying something!

My g/f noted that fact sometime along, and we were surprised that the best element in a film was indeed Tom Cruise. I love brain-dead fun from time to time, but what Ben Stiller did here (and it seems he turned it into a whole career in general) is retarded. I hate retarded things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh well, can't please 'em all.
  4. I had some good laughs during Tropic Thunder, nothing more, nothing less. Which is what good entertainment is supposed to do. But I haven't seen it more than once, so there ya go...

Would you guys call Dodgeball retarded? Because I find that one freaking HI-LA-RI-OUS !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love silly movies like that. The kind of movies you watch with friends with some beers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of which, tonight we're going to watch Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!

biggrin