• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    I loved the music that accompanied the international too.

Here's my review.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I loved the music that accompanied the international too.

Here's my review.

I'd say an accurate review Demetris wink

ps, what did you think of the ending?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    THE KILLING ROOM (Liebesman, 2009) ****
    To watch this film is to know exactly how perfect Brian Tyler's score is and how much a leap forward this achievement is for him. Knowing him mostly as the charismatic, cool guy that creates fun and masculine orchestral powerhouses, it's sometimes shocking how much tension he creates in this claustrophobic little picture. It's that kind of score: the one that attaches it to its picture, enhances it and gets under your skin.

The film itself ain't half bad either. A genuine nailbiter that comes to a rather terrifying conclusion that could be less far from the truth than we're comfortable with. Wow. An hour after, I can still feel my nerves. Might be one of the most disturbing post-9/11 movies I've seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    To watch this film is to know exactly how perfect Brian Tyler's score is and how much a leap forward this achievement is for him. Knowing him mostly as the charismatic, cool guy that creates fun orchestral and masculine orchestral powerhouses, it's sometimes shocking how much tension he creates in this claustrophobic little picture. It's that kind of score: the one that attaches it to its picture, enhances it and gets under your skin.

The film itself ain't half bad either. A genuine nailbiter that comes to a rather terrifying conclusion that could be less far from the truth than we're comfortable with. Wow. An hour after, I can still feel my nerves. Might be one of the most disturbing post-9/11 movies I've seen.

Nice to hear. That score sounds fabulous on CD already, i'd imagine it works the movie too, from what i read and saw about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    In the film, the score unfolds as a perfect build-up. How the piano theme is ultimately introduced in the final act, or the Arvo Part like descending motif, it all makes complete sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    To watch this film is to know exactly how perfect Brian Tyler's score is and how much a leap forward this achievement is for him. Knowing him mostly as the charismatic, cool guy that creates fun and masculine orchestral powerhouses, it's sometimes shocking how much tension he creates in this claustrophobic little picture. It's that kind of score: the one that attaches it to its picture, enhances it and gets under your skin.

Totally agree. Perfect score for the movie.

BobdH wrote

Indeed. That´s the correct word, terrifying. Sadly, an overlooked film. I remember watching it only because Tyler was involved (I didn´t knnow anything about the film) only to discover a true gem. Totally recommended.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Over here in the Netherlands, the film is a DTV that has CUBE MEETS SAW screaming on it's cheaply designed cover. Thus, it attracks the wrong crowd that bitches about the slow pace and lack of violence and have no idea what the film says in its ending whatsoever. Depressing :-(

I also bought it because of the score, a little afraid it would disappoint due to the track record of Liebesman. But don't let that put you off, people!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Another film I saw last week...

THE BOX (Kelley, 2009) ***

A wonderful throwback to the Twilight Zone mood. Not only is it situated in the seventies, the look and feel is very much of that era, while the musical score has Bernard Herrmann written all over. It makes for a film that they-don't-make-anymore, a genuine mystery that keeps steering towards the surreal and supernatural up to a climax that is at the same time thrilling and puzzling.

Leading up to this climax, there seem to be significant plot holes, yet on the other hand, it also feels like I just haven't figured them out yet. The film seems so thoughtfully constructed that I can't imagine not every detail is right. It's a story that's hard to grasp in one sitting, but not something that is ungraspable, like Southland Tales was. Still, parts are a bit too contrived and were probably not needed to come to this conclusion.

After that chaotic mess, which was basically just an overambitious project, it's good to see Kelly in a film that has touches of his signature style, but is more concise. Overall it's telling us that this is a director we need to look out for. It's a guy that isn't affraid to do his thing, even though it might fail. Hit or miss, he is in the least interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    I just saw that one too, Bob. It's a decent movie. Not brilliant, but entertaining nonetheless. Usually when I'm confused about a movie I go and read on the imdb board for the movie. 90% of the people there offer idiocy, but there's usually a few people who can explain the movie in question in great detail.

What are the possible plot holes? Perhaps I can help filling them.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    plindboe wrote
    I just saw that one too, Bob. It's a decent movie. Not brilliant, but entertaining nonetheless. Usually when I'm confused about a movie I go and read on the imdb board for the movie. 90% of the people there offer idiocy, but there's usually a few people who can explain the movie in question in great detail.

What are the possible plot holes? Perhaps I can help filling them.

Peter smile

I know, sometimes I look there too, this time I just wanted to wander around with it in my head first. And I can't really talk about these things without putting huge spoilers on this board. But you think you 'got' it all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Tropic Thunder

I don't know what it is about Ben Stiller, but he always makes me laugh, even when he's being serious. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely hilarious in this movie as well, playing a white method actor playing a black dude. Every line he utters in this movie is an instant classic. Tom cruise is funny as well, playing some psycho executive producer of the film. Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey did nothing for the movie though.

The story isn't unique, and it's not a laughfest all the way through. It's the kind of movie that relies heavily on famous actors doing what they do best, and in that respect it succeeds. I think it could have done with some more laughs and a better script though.

Rated it 6 on imdb.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    I know, sometimes I look there too, this time I just wanted to wander around with it in my head first. And I can't really talk about these things without putting huge spoilers on this board. But you think you 'got' it all?

[spoiler]Use the spoiler tags![/spoiler] wink

I think I figured most of it out after reading some imdb posts.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Tropic Thunder

I don't know what it is about Ben Stiller, but he always makes me laugh, even when he's being serious. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely hilarious in this movie as well, playing a white method actor playing a black dude. Every line he utters in this movie is an instant classic. Tom cruise is funny as well, playing some psycho executive producer of the film. Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey did nothing for the movie though.

The story isn't unique, and it's not a laughfest all the way through. It's the kind of movie that relies heavily on famous actors doing what they do best, and in that respect it succeeds. I think it could have done with some more laughs and a better script though.

Rated it 6 on imdb.

Peter smile

I could watch this movie again and again, and it's not because I think it's a particularly good movie - it's the actors! They make this film (quite literally in fact). It's just a very silly but very funny couple of hours. One to watch with your mates with some beers. beer

The commentary is also worth watching, with "Kirk Lazarus" still in character. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, Steven! This movie and beer is the ultimate combination.

"I'm just like a little boy, playing with his dick when he's nervous." biggrin

What do you mean, "you people?"
    What do *you* mean, "you people? biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lfe_SV6dUM

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    plindboe wrote
    BobdH wrote

[spoiler]Use the spoiler tags![/spoiler] wink

I think I figured most of it out after reading some imdb posts.

Peter smile

Ah! Right. Forgot about those.

Well, the thing that bottered me most, was the fact that, [spoiler]during the climax, the moment the new couple pushed the button, James Marsden shot Cameron Diaz. So, if Diaz hadn't pushed their button, the previous owner of the box wouldn't have been shot? How can the choice of one person, affect a personal choice of another? And Marsden has been to the 'other side' after the car crash, but... why? What did that have to do with the story line? Or is it just to point out that, the moment he went to 'the other side' at the library, he became a greater human being that could recycle himself when dying?[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    [spoiler]during the climax, the moment the new couple pushed the button, James Marsden shot Cameron Diaz. So, if Diaz hadn't pushed their button, the previous owner of the box wouldn't have been shot? How can the choice of one person, affect a personal choice of another?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't think Cameron's death and the next couple's button pushing is directly connected. Cameron would have died no matter what the next couple did. When Cameron pushed the button, her own death would be a result. But the thing is that, the bad guy, at some point said, that whenever someone pushed the button, the test would continue, i.e. the box would be sent to another couple. The only thing that would stop the test, and hence the continuous cycle of deaths, would be for someone to decide not to press the button. The problem is that people keep pressing the button, so whenever a person presses the button, that decision means that the cycle will repeat and the next couple will likely face the exact same thing, ending in death.

Also a thing to keep in mind is that it was all a test to test humans. While there was some truth to what the bad guy was saying, there's no reason to believe he's telling the whole truth. The real test was to see what choice the couple would take with the info given to them.
    [/spoiler]

BobdH wrote
    [spoiler]And Marsden has been to the 'other side' after the car crash, but... why? What did that have to do with the story line? Or is it just to point out that, the moment he went to 'the other side' at the library, he became a greater human being that could recycle himself when dying?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's been a few weeks since I saw the film, so must admit I can't remember any car crash. But about the portal thing in the library, I think that was supposed to be his test. Men are tested with portals, women are tested with the box (notice that the bad guy showed up while Cameron was alone, and notice that it's only women who press the button). He was told that the right portal would lead to salvation, the salvation being Cameron redeeming herself for her crime by sacrifing her life for her son. Had he chosen another portal in the library, they would never have been given the option for Cameron to redeem herself.[/spoiler]

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    wtf
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    wtf

Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    plindboe wrote
    [spoiler]I don't think Cameron's death and the next couple's button pushing is directly connected. Cameron would have died no matter what the next couple did. When Cameron pushed the button, her own death would be a result. But the thing is that, the bad guy, at some point said, that whenever someone pushed the button, the test would continue, i.e. the box would be sent to another couple. The only thing that would stop the test, and hence the continuous cycle of deaths, would be for someone to decide not to press the button. The problem is that people keep pressing the button, so whenever a person presses the button, that decision means that the cycle will repeat and the next couple will likely face the exact same thing, ending in death.

Also a thing to keep in mind is that it was all a test to test humans. While there was some truth to what the bad guy was saying, there's no reason to believe he's telling the whole truth. The real test was to see what choice the couple would take with the info given to them.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, he spoke the truth, in that case. The moment they push the button, someone will die - it will just be herself. I did get the fact that the test would continue as long as people keep pulling the button; the human Greed may be one of the themes of the film. "It's when people put aside their own needs and sacrifice for the common good, the test will stop", he mentioned at one point. Which might also be a part of the final decision by Cameron; by letting herself be killed, is she really redeaming? Or is she, by doing so, not accepting the disfigurement of her son?[/spoiler]

plindboe wrote
    [spoiler]Men are tested with portals, women are tested with the box (notice that the bad guy showed up while Cameron was alone, and notice that it's only women who press the button).[/spoiler]

I know. The friend I was with plainly stated afterwards, "it's because woman are greedy" biggrin

plindboe wrote
    [spoiler]He was told that the right portal would lead to salvation, the salvation being Cameron redeeming herself for her crime by sacrificing her life for her son. Had he chosen another portal in the library, they would never have been given the option for Cameron to redeem herself.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, I did get the library portal thingy, the key plothole here for me is the car crash wink. It's where Marsden gets told in the car that that other dude killed his wife, in favor of his child. And right after, they are hit and the next moment we see him under a white blanked. Marsden is being taken out of the NASA building. I didn't get that and it's not referenced again...[/spoiler] confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    wtf

You've seen the film, D? Otherwise you shouldn't have read that! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    [spoiler]Darth Vader is Luke's Dad.[/spoiler]

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

especially when [spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler] see? i can do this too! [/spoiler]!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It's easy! Now the trick it to get the [spoiler] and [/spoiler] thingys away!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do you really think you'll be able to fit that many rabbits as well as the flux capacitor? I think the flying bananas might prove to be the fly in the ointment, not to mention the rubber shoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Do you really think you'll be able to fit that many rabbits as well as the flux capacitor? I think the flying bananas might prove to be the fly in the ointment, not to mention the rubber shoes.

Of course, why not? The trick is to use the [spoiler]

[/spoiler] while making sure the metaphysical formula is none other than [spoiler]

[/spoiler]. In fact, that may very well solve the mystery of [spoiler]

[/spoiler]!!!!!!

Again, the rubber shoes are crucial, as always.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Cool! I too saw The Box recently. It was confusing as hell and I had to go check up IMDB and I was somewhat satisfied with what one chap posted.

I agree with Peter's explanation for the stuff that happens with Cameron Diaz. But for her husband... [spoiler]I'm more satisfied with the reasoning that the portal test for him was to see if he could make a decision for himself without being influenced by others. He chose the 2nd portal because he had no idea but he saw a lot of the messengers/zombies point to 2.
    I think the test is in two parts. The first test is to see if one would be willing to kill a fellow human being for a selfish cause. The test for the spouse who did not press the button (not necessarily the husband) was to see if they can make decisions rationally without being influenced by others. Both failed their tests. For the guy in the car crash perhaps that was his punishment. For Cameron Diaz's hubby it's prison. Sounds plausible?
    [/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched THE CHANGELING the other night, darn good film and based on a true story, in fact I checked it up on Wiki and Clint Eastwood sticks very closely to the facts with only a few details being changed for the sake of the story.

Very good film. Anyone else seen it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE CHANGELING the other night, darn good film and based on a true story, in fact I checked it up on Wiki and Clint Eastwood sticks very closely to the facts with only a few details being changed for the sake of the story.

Yes, I liked it. Great storytelling and an awesome main theme that overstays its welcome like a two week old fungus on a piece of wet toast.
    Nice noir-ish effort by Clint! Heck, I even thought that Miss Awesome Lips did a good job at acting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Yeap, i did. Mature and strong film making although i was immensely annoyed by the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Loius Theroux's Weird Weekends: Black Nationalism

I like Theroux, he has a very disarming personality in the face of some of earth's most disgusting people. He gets to know the person as well as their beliefs and lifestyle, and it always makes for mesmerizing viewing. This particular episode focused on the Israeli black nationlists in American and is a huge eye-opener to TRUE racism.

An old episode, late 90s I think, but unfortunately still relevant. Quite depressing.