• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    AGORA

A visually and musically stunning film with strong performances, grimly portraying religious fanaticism of the destructive degree. Set to fight science and any form of free, creative thinking as well as innocent women children and men, when power and money change hands, be it in the control of Christians or Jews or anything, the end-result is always a vile rape of the human being, humanism and civilization.

No matter who the players are each time, the nasty game of twisting the books of each religion in order to justify abominable plans for gaining authority and might, have always been equally disturbing and shameful throughout the course of mankinds' history. A movie as well-timed as ever. Amenambar's talents never cease to captivate me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I notice that Caprica is being shown on Sky1 next week and I was wondering if it's worth watching.

I'm a complete Battlestar Galactica novice and want to know whether it's worth watching to "set the scene" for when I watch BSG? Or should I avoid until I see BSG?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I notice that Caprica is being shown on Sky1 next week and I was wondering if it's worth watching.

I'm a complete Battlestar Galactica novice and want to know whether it's worth watching to "set the scene" for when I watch BSG? Or should I avoid until I see BSG?

I have not seen Caprica, but from what I've been told, there are scenes that will make sense only if you've seen Battlestar Galactica the series. Not many but a few, and these then also receive the hint through the music of Bear

I don't think it will hurt much, but perhaps it will not satisfy you completely, simply because you haven't seen BG yet

I think I'll try to watch it as well, simply to understand the music behind it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    AGORA

A visually and musically stunning film with strong performances, grimly portraying religious fanaticism of the destructive degree. Set to fight science and any form of free, creative thinking as well as innocent women children and men, when power and money change hands, be it in the control of Christians or Jews or anything, the end-result is always a vile rape of the human being, humanism and civilization.

No matter who the players are each time, the nasty game of twisting the books of each religion in order to justify abominable plans for gaining authority and might, have always been equally disturbing and shameful throughout the course of mankinds' history. A movie as well-timed as ever. Amenambar's talents never cease to captivate me.

Glad it finally has been released in Greece, I knew you´d like it beer The music fits the visuals perfectly doesn´t it? And the love story between Hypatia and her science is one of the more powerful love stories I´ve seen lately. There are so many memorable moments (the destruction of the library, all the interaction between Hypatia and her students and the politicians, the ending,..) that it would be impossible to choose one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I notice that Caprica is being shown on Sky1 next week and I was wondering if it's worth watching.

I think I'll watch it, though I'm in the same position as you. Someone told me it was designed so that BSG novices could enjoy it as well as fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, it's designed to work separately from BSG so anyone who hasn't seen BSG can watch Caprica. It's also nothing like BSG (except that it's obviously set in the same world), its premise is more like a family drama set 58 years before 'The Fall' (the Cylon invasion of Caprica and the 12 colonies).

I'm looking foward to it. For no particular reason at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    AGORA

Glad it finally has been released in Greece, I knew you´d like it beer The music fits the visuals perfectly doesn´t it? And the love story between Hypatia and her science is one of the more powerful love stories I´ve seen lately. There are so many memorable moments (the destruction of the library, all the interaction between Hypatia and her students and the politicians, the ending,..) that it would be impossible to choose one.

Its emotional power is not easy to describe. The music plays a large part in this too, when viewed within the movie, it trully has the potential of being Dario's brightest moment. The ethical questions it raises are up to date as ever and completely valid. Also, it's technically brilliant and beautifully shot. Those space shots of earth blew me away...in combination with the music and their place in the dramatic narrative and along with the ending, they were enough to make me shed a tear or two (although i was trying to hide it 'cause i already made fun of my babe who was full in tears and sniffing (as she does most of the times in cinema anyway wink )

Steven, i'd be more than interested to hear your views on this film once you watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, I must admit you've piqued my interested. I had no idea what the film was about until now, but if I can find a 720p copy on rapidsh.... I mean if I see a DVD going cheap, I'll give it a go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think you'll connect with the main character of Hypatia, her love and talent for science and logical thinking against the hatred of the religious fanaticism that most of the times feel insulted by such free and creative thinking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does she have a phone number?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  3. Steven wrote
    I'm looking foward to it. For no particular reason at all.

I may watch it after all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Watched the first 2 episodes of Caprica last night - and I was hooked.

Bear McCreary's score was too subtle for me - it very rarely made an impression as I was watching it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    I watched it too but I was very tired and didn't pay as much attention as I should have.

I quite liked the music, though! More my thing than his BSG music.
  5. I recently saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I was pleasantly suprised by this one, and caught off guard by the random humor. Not since the Emporer's New Groove have I been so pleased to find so much that I found genuinely funny in a film that looked like it was going to be purely aimed at little kids. Very enjoyable, and better than Monsters Vs. Aliens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    I recently saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I was pleasantly suprised by this one, and caught off guard by the random humor. Not since the Emporer's New Groove have I been so pleased to find so much that I found genuinely funny in a film that looked like it was going to be purely aimed at little kids. Very enjoyable, and better than Monsters Vs. Aliens.

I loved this movie! Witty, original, wacky. Great score, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    Currently hooked on Life On Mars, starring John Simm.
    In what may the most oddball plot in the history of TV, DCI Sam Tyler's (John Simm) girl friend has been kidnapped by a serial killer. In his grief and anxiety he doesn't pay attention to traffic, and gets hit by a car...only to wake up 24 years in the past, in 1973, where -apparently- he is a DI with his predecessors in the Manchester Police Force, under the rule of the no-nonsense, pretty violent and uncompromising Gene Hunt.

Is he having a near-death experience? Is he in a coma? Is he a time traveller? Although it's suggested throughout he's in a coma, we never find out properly...

The brilliance of the series is not just the 2007 vs. 1973 mentality and culture shock (seeing an office full of people smoking is just a start!) and the mystery surrounding Sam's predicament, but the fact that aside that, this is actually also just a damn fine police series! The characters are likable and believable, and the very real seventies' feel (great details in clothing, settings, decor and cars!), above-par writing and acting (Philip Glenister is an absolute joy as DCI Gene Hunt) easily evokes memories of times past on TV. Most of the stories work on several levels as well, as we are never completely certain whether these are little morality plays in Sam's own mind.

The show ran for two seasons, of which I've now seen one.
    The season's finale is an emotional powerhouse, but we're no nearer to understanding what is happening, so I'm looking very much forward to season 2!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    The show ran for two seasons, of which I've now seen one.
    The season's finale is an emotional powerhouse, but we're no nearer to understanding what is happening, so I'm looking very much forward to season 2!

For me, this was a wonderful series. The finale of the second season is very moving, and one of my favourite endings to a TV series. (Although the implications of the ending were somewhat spoiled by the idea of a sequel series, ASHES TO ASHES.)
    Apart from all the obvious references in the show, I'd be surprised if A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT wasn't an inspiration for it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Although the implications of the ending were somewhat spoiled by the idea of a sequel series, ASHES TO ASHES.)

I think that's supposed to be a prequel, and John Simm has already said he wouldn't be joining the cast.

Apart from all the obvious references in the show, I'd be surprised if A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT wasn't an inspiration for it.

smile Nice!
    Hadn't considered that analogy yet!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Although the implications of the ending were somewhat spoiled by the idea of a sequel series, ASHES TO ASHES.)

I think that's supposed to be a prequel, and John Simm has already said he wouldn't be joining the cast.

Simm wasn't part of it, but it has already had a couple of seasons. It took place in the dramatic universe as LIFE ON MARS, and that's the only problem. Let's talk more about it after you're done. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Good plan, cobber!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent series.

"come out, you are surrounded by armed bastards"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved this scene:
    Gene Hunt: Ray! Go and arrest the landlord of the Trafford Arms (inn)
    Ray Carling:What for?
    Gene Hunt: Think of something on the way
    [next scene, some time has evidently passed]
    Gene Hunt: In a bizarre twist of fate the landlord was arrested this afternoon.... on suspicion of cattle rustling.
    [Ray receives a round of applause from the present officers]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Priceless applause

Makes me want to watch it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Hunt is priceless.

Actually the actor and John Simm have shared a scene or two before, in the UK TV version of STATE OF PLAY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    I KNOW!
    Serendipitously (God, I love using that word) I got my hands on State Of Play together with Life On Mars...without ANY clue it shared two of the same main players!

State Of Play will be on after I've finished with The Tudors, which I'm watching as well, savouring the second season of Life On Mars a bit longer.

The Tudors, though a little raunchy, certainly isn't bad either. The photography and the costumes are gobsmackingly good, and the writing really fast paced: I am amazed episodes are 50-55 minutes. It feels much shorter!
    And it got me on the hunt again for (affordable slant ) copies of the BBC's Shakespeare King Drama set from the early eighties, which had me spellbound in front of the telly as a wee lad!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I enjoy The Tudors too. Sure, it's Dynasty/Dallas'ifying history but still, it's great entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed, it's definitely emphasising the soapy aspects (and embellishing alittle here and there), but from what I know it's really quite robust historically! There are only a very few things I know they (deliberately, I guess) got wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    I recently saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I was pleasantly suprised by this one, and caught off guard by the random humor. Not since the Emporer's New Groove have I been so pleased to find so much that I found genuinely funny in a film that looked like it was going to be purely aimed at little kids. Very enjoyable, and better than Monsters Vs. Aliens.

I loved this movie! Witty, original, wacky. Great score, too!

-Erik-

Nice, i am having it here waiting to be watched asap!

CREATION
    Stunning performance by the lead character, incredible cinematography and a bit of over-dose on drama. It's interesting how the director fuses the whole thing from its humane / dramatic side and it works great as they've built a tight story to back it up. Still, it would be interesting to see the end-result had they focused on the scientific part of it a little bit more. However, it was a very rewarding cinematic experience as a whole.

The music is absolutely stunning in the film and plays a central role too, as it's practically underlining and elevating each and every scene without overdoing it or intruding. I imagine those who claim this to be one of the year's best will only reinforce their opinions further, once they watch this film.
  9. Christodoulides wrote

CREATION
    Stunning performance by the lead character, incredible cinematography and a bit of over-dose on drama. It's interesting how the director fuses the whole thing from its humane / dramatic side and it works great as they've built a tight story to back it up. Still, it would be interesting to see the end-result had they focused on the scientific part of it a little bit more. However, it was a very rewarding cinematic experience as a whole.

The music is absolutely stunning in the film and plays a central role too, as it's practically underlining and elevating each and every scene without overdoing it or intruding. I imagine those who claim this to be one of the year's best will only reinforce their opinions further, once they watch this film.

cool, knowing I love the music, this can only enhance the experience for me, I love over sentimental drama's by the way you know wink

THE INTERNATIONAL

Very good thriller movie, that for once takes the time to build to something. The galeria scene is totally awesome and a definite must to see, especially after such a build up. And the story was good enough to keep you interested. It is then only so sad the ending ... sucks. Man, why such a build up if you have such a lame ending to finish it with?

This was a definitive 7, now it's 6 because once again that ending is sooooo lame, so uninspired

Ps, the music was effective, but the piano playing was brilliant, loved every second of it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh