• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Toy Story 3

I expected it to be great. It was great.

I saw it yesterday too.

It was a great ending for the trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Ghost Writer

Brilliant in every aspect.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    The Ghost Writer

Brilliant in every aspect.

in the music too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    want.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Hello people, couple of questions about Eclipse. I need a teen movie to write a review about and I have to make a worldview lesson from it.

Is Eclipse a teen movie, like I think it is? Is it a girls movie or for boys as well?
    Do you have to know the books / series / whatever (?) to understand this movie on it's own?

Thanks!

Oh, I'm open to other suggestions as well. As long as it's interesting for young people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw The Ghost Writer the other night and thought it was superb. A deliberately slow paced thriller (which is a nice change of pace) with solid performances, great photography and a unique mono-thematic score by Desplat which propels the movie along. If Desplat's music wasn't in the film I think the films pace would have bored audiences to death. But Desplat's music keep the film moving... and foreshadows the events to come. Highly recommended for those that crave for intelligent film making!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    Hello people, couple of questions about Eclipse. I need a teen movie to write a review about and I have to make a worldview lesson from it.

Is Eclipse a teen movie, like I think it is? Is it a girls movie or for boys as well?
    Do you have to know the books / series / whatever (?) to understand this movie on it's own?

Thanks!

Oh, I'm open to other suggestions as well. As long as it's interesting for young people.

A worldview lesson? Blimey.

In that case, if I were you I, I'd review something a little more substantial than Twilight. What's the context? I.e. what exactly are you trying to teach or show these young people? (How young are they, incidentally?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I saw The Ghost Writer the other night and thought it was superb. A deliberately slow paced thriller (which is a nice change of pace) with solid performances, great photography and a unique mono-thematic score by Desplat which propels the movie along. If Desplat's music wasn't in the film I think the films pace would have bored audiences to death. But Desplat's music keep the film moving... and foreshadows the events to come. Highly recommended for those that crave for intelligent film making!

-Erik-

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Bregje wrote

Thanks!

A worldview lesson? Blimey.

In that case, if I were you I, I'd review something a little more substantial than Twilight. What's the context? I.e. what exactly are you trying to teach or show these young people? (How young are they, incidentally?)

It would be for 12-16 year olds I guess.
    The point is, the movie can be about anything. As long as it is of interest to them and they identify with it somehow, I can take life view questions out of it. It can be about friendship, relationships, sex, clothes, family, beliefs, you name it.

By the way, I have no idea what this movie is about!
    And I just read again what I have to do exactly and I think the movie has to do youth subculture. I'll take a look today for other movies, perhaps I can finish it this weekend.

You can really take good stuff from crappy movies and TV, you know. I read a nice reflection yesterday on Temptation Island, hehe. How it is about distrust disguised as trust and how the same thing is going on in society, when it comes to care and safety and all... well, long story short, you can use anything for lessons at school and the more it is of interest to them, the more they connect to it in their own personal lives, which is the point of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shadow of the Wolf

I have greatly enjoyed the Maurice Jarre album for years and that's the main reason I watched the film. Wish I hadn't. It's dreadful, despite the gorgeous Alaskan (or is it Northern Canadian?) scenery. Acting is pure amateur stuff. And Jarre's score, sad to say, is overwrought and inappropriate almost to the point of hilarity. I'll stick to the CD from now on.

Windtalkers

Not bad, I guess. The action scenes are quite stylishly done, as one might expect from John Woo. But the central event, the thing the whole film builds up to, never particularly rings true - the characters just haven't been written well enough to make you believe in it.

Koyaanisqatsi

It's a feast for the senses, obviously, but I'm not sure that what I came away thinking ("Mankind is amazing!") is really what I was meant to come away thinking.

House of Games

David Mamet's debut as director and I really enjoyed it. The only trouble was, watching through the eyes of someone who's watched everything he's done since, is that all the twists become slightly easier to spot because he did them again in The Spanish Prisoner and Heist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Windtalkers

Not bad, I guess. The action scenes are quite stylishly done, as one might expect from John Woo. But the central event, the thing the whole film builds up to, never particularly rings true - the characters just haven't been written well enough to make you believe in it.

Good score by Horner though, with a fantastic finale cue. I really really like that theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Windtalkers

Good score by Horner though, with a fantastic finale cue. I really really like that theme.

I really didn't like the score at first and so went several years without listening to it, till last week. Seemed a lot better now. I especially liked in the film (which isn't apparent from the CD) that main theme being gradually developed as the film goes on from the piece played by the Navajo character on his flute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I only saw Windtalkers once and remember it to be a very mediocre movie and score; and James, if you came up with that meaning out of Koyaanisqatsi then i am sure you're one of those lucky fellows who view the world via the 'glass is half full' notion wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I only saw Windtalkers once and remember it to be a very mediocre movie and score; and James, if you came up with that meaning out of Koyaanisqatsi then i am sure you're one of those lucky fellows who view the world via the 'glass is half full' notion wink

I presume I was meant to think either "Look what horrors we've inflicted on the world!" or "We've done some beautiful things, but it's come at a high cost" - though I was never quite sure which of those. And in reality, I do think the second of those. But looking at that film, seeing beautiful man-made things like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Manhattan skyline, seeing us going into space or designing traffic systems that let millions of people congregate efficiently in the space of a couple of hours every day, I think that's a sign that we're a pretty amazing species. I doubt there are many people on this forum who are more staunch environmentalists than me, but this film - beautiful though it was - didn't quite do that for me.
  1. Southall wrote
    Shadow of the Wolf

Windtalkers

Koyaanisqatsi

House of Games

A good set of reviews! Thanks.

The nice thing about KOYAANISQATSI is that by not having someone narrate the message, the audience is pretty free to arrive at it themselves... or not, as the case may be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    The Ghost Writer

Engaging however feeling like it was building to something that it ultimately didn't. Regardless, it was shot beautifully and Desplat's minimal use of music worked very well.

I had read lots of mixed reviews but overall enjoyed this. Three and a half out of five.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010 edited
    If anyone is interested, tomorrow on ITV 1 at 1.50 PM is the Columbo episode Ransom For A Dead Man, I mention this because it's got such an excellent score by Billy Goldenberg.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010 edited
    INCEPTION

It is a GREAT, great movie.

Only the typical problems with Nolan movies ( too much talk, set action pieces directed a little bit like an amateur) doesn't make this movie a masterpiece.

the love story really works, even If Nolan is one of the coldest directors around.

[spoiler]PS: The tótem fell.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    [spoiler]PS: The tótem fell.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No, it didn't.[/spoiler]
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010
    He clearly saw an extended version of the movie that gave away the ending.
  2. [spoiler]What if the totem is a red herring and means exactly the opposite to what we think it is? What if it all is Mal's dream rather than Cobb's?[/spoiler]
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Gran Torino

Weird experience. It's so full of cliches and hammers home its message in a way that is so unsubtle as to be almost comical, but I really, really liked it. There can't be a more prolific high-profile director than Clint Eastwood, and the guy's 80 years old! And his films are consistently watchable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Absolutely loved it. !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I loved it too, this guy is delivering one amazing film after another smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010 edited
    I'm a big admirer of Clint's films and indeed, one of his films, UNFORGIVEN, is in my all time top 10 but, BIG BUT, and I'm sure darn near everyone will agree is, for cripes sake Clint, WILL YOU PLEASE HIRE A PROFESSIONAL FILM COMPOSER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010
    THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

It needs no introduction but what a truly fantastic film. I really have to be in the mood to watch this and tonight was perfect since I had the house to myself, a bottle of red wine and a big bag of chocolate covered raisins. Perfect. The DVD includes a few documentaries that I haven't seen before so I'm just about to watch them now.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010 edited
    I saw a movie as a kid and I'm trying to remember what it was titled.

The movie was kinda like those "Leviathan", "Aliens", "The thing" kinda movies, where the crew is isolated from the rest of the world and there's an angry alien on the loose. I think it took place on an asteroid or something, and they were drilling. The monster was a single, big mothafucka, walking on two legs, shaped like an umber hulk or minotaur or something like that.

Oh and, it's probably from somewhere between 1985 and 1995, though I'm not certain.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    Sounds kind of familiar and very much a direct to video film.

What year was it approximately?