• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Wasn't there a scene where the music is used and it isn't the shark, and a scene where the music isn't used and there is a shark? confused

I haven't watched the film for quite a while, admittedly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Not as I remember? I'll have to watch it again to confirm ( unlike two people at this board I won't find it a chore wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. It would make sense to mix it up (as steven suggests). If logic is too exact, people start to figure out by the end of the film how it works, which makes it hard to genuinely shock them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    THe Final Conflict

Just for to hear Goldsmith score.

Anyway it's not so bad that people says. It's decent and sometimes with some interesting points.

Sam Neil rocks! and of course, Goldsmith score is a masterpiece.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm with Michael and Steven... there was far too much music... let me rephrase... far too much music that distracted. I don't mind if there's wall to wall music but Zimmer's score was battling with the sound effects and dialogue for much of the film... the volume level was pushed to the limit where at times I just wanted to cover my ears. I can recall a length sequence where the group was planning the Inception... most of it was dialogue... but Zimmer's score just continued to drone over top of everything to the point where I just wanted the noise to stop so I could concentrate on the dialogue. There were times where I couldn't make out a damn word (didn't help that Watanabe has the very, very thick accent.)

There were some powerful moments in the score for sure and I really enjoy what I hear on album but I just wish there was less of it.

-Erik-

for me it was the music that drove the action, gave me the feeling the movie was a rollercoaster ride once they started dreaming into a dream. Yes there is a lot of music, and probably most of it is filler, but once you noticed the music, you also noticed how fast the movie was going forward. For me it's the music that drives the speed of the movie, and it needed Zimmer's score to end the final scene. Perhaps over pompous, but most definitely needed.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

but once you noticed the music, you also noticed how fast the movie was going forward.

What? uhm

For me it's the music that drives the speed of the movie, and it needed Zimmer's score to end the final scene. Perhaps over pompous, but most definitely needed.

It's not really the end scene music that's the issue here; it's the over-saturation of the score by the time the end scene actually arrives. Had the spotting been more diligent throughout the movie, that end scene probably would have made more of an impact in terms of its music.

Also, I don't think it was needed. It might have worked quite well with a more subtle approach or indeed no music at all - but that's not to say that Zimmer's piece doesn't work.
  3. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

but once you noticed the music, you also noticed how fast the movie was going forward.

What? uhm

For me it's the music that drives the speed of the movie, and it needed Zimmer's score to end the final scene. Perhaps over pompous, but most definitely needed.

It's not really the end scene music that's the issue here; it's the over-saturation of the score by the time the end scene actually arrives. Had the spotting been more diligent throughout the movie, that end scene probably would have made more of an impact in terms of its music.

Also, I don't think it was needed. It might have worked quite well with a more subtle approach or indeed no music at all - but that's not to say that Zimmer's piece doesn't work.

I wasn't paying attention to the music, good music tends to break through the mold so you notice it without having to pay attention. I was saying that the moment I started to notice the music, I noticed it was the music making the movie so wonderfully fast. So in that regard it was good the movie had a lot of music, though not everything was that good. But the moments I noticed it, I loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm

....can I buy some drugs from you?
  4. Steven wrote
    uhm

....can I buy some drugs from you?

no, because I was perfectly clear ..... for once
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, if you say so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, if you say so.

What the fuck am I looking at?
    (At first glance, a piece of paper masturbating...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it a towel ( with eyes!?? ) about to smoke a bong?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's some hoopy shit...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, if you say so.

What the fuck am I looking at?
    (At first glance, a piece of paper masturbating...)

No. It's Steven McTowelie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    You're McFucking me!!?
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote

I wasn't paying attention to the music, good music tends to break through the mold so you notice it without having to pay attention. I was saying that the moment I started to notice the music, I noticed it was the music making the movie so wonderfully fast. So in that regard it was good the movie had a lot of music, though not everything was that good. But the moments I noticed it, I loved it.

Never trust a soundtrack fan on the point of whether a film has too much music.
    Because they're interested in the music in the first place. Given a choice, they wouldn't mind hearing it as well as seeing a good scene. (I often find myself with film students having to force myself to recommend dialing good music out of a scene in a sound mix because I know it will make the music in the scene before and after work better.)
    SO when a handful of soundtrack fans call a film on having too much music, that says something. It really does.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    Don't you people know Towelie???
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Shutter island

I like movies where you can't really be sure what's real or not. This one wasn't one of the best though. A bit too slow and unengaging. I also guessed the main twist early on.

My rating: 6 out of 10

Catch me if you can

Leonardo DiCaprio is great in this one. Very entertaining movie.

My rating: 8

Two weeks notice

This is what you have to go through when you have a gf. It was pure fluff. This is the kind of movie that seems to be build on the idea of putting a couple of famous actors in it, and hoping that this alone will be enough. Sure Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock have plenty of charm, but I want more than these two people talking for 1½ hour. The dialogue wasn't funny and the story was predictable and is the same as any other romantic comedy: They don't like each other at first. They work together and fall in love. They have a fight. The guy makes a speech and the girl cries. They hug and kiss and the music swells.

Best thing about the movie was Powell's light score. Not his best, but his love theme is wonderful.

My rating: 3

Peter smile
  6. plindboe wrote
    Catch me if you can

I was just thinking about that film yesterday. It is amazing to me that DiCaprio managed to play both a high school aged kid and a 30-40 something man in the same film, and do them both so believably. Really impressive.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Toy Story 3

Not a bad film by any means, but it had a huge lack of gags and was missing something important. I can't quite put my finger on it but something about it just wasn't right.

(the best bit by far was the security monkey biggrin )
  7. Did anyone watch Sherlock last night on BBC1? Trailer

I really enjoyed it. The chemistry between Benedict Cumberbatch (Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Watson) worked very well, and the story (Steven Moffatt) was interesting and witty (though Anne had worked out things quite early on).

Music honours are shared between David Arnold and Michael Price. Sounded a bit like Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes score in places (though Arnold's score was recorded in 2009, apparently). Anne found it quite annoying and reminded her too much of the original Victorian setting (and the Jeremy Brett series. Though listening to Patrick Gower's tracks I didn't see too much resemblance.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010
    The Browning Version

I haven't enjoyed a film as much as this in ages. I read a few reviews of it afterwards and they're all pretty much the same, saying it's OK but very slow and boring. Didn't find that at all. Great, great performance by Albert Finney as a Latin teacher retiring against his will, who has never stood up to his wife and never stood up to his superiors but has kept his students under a strict disciplinary regime. The whole film builds up to his leaving speech, when we expect him to finally rail against the forces of change with which he so vehemently disagrees, but instead he breaks down and apologises for the way he has treated his students.

OK, now I read that, it sounds boring to me too. But I was mesmerised (and it transported me briefly back to my school days, the happiest time of my life).

Mark Isham's score has little to do for the most part but the finale and end credits are stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A single man

Beautiful film all-around. Amazing to think that this was a directing debut. The acting by Colin Firth is amazing. Abel Korzeniowski's score is beautiful as well. I dig the tracks "Becoming George" and "And just like that".

My rating: 7 out of 10.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Catch me if you can

I was just thinking about that film yesterday. It is amazing to me that DiCaprio managed to play both a high school aged kid and a 30-40 something man in the same film, and do them both so believably. Really impressive.

Indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Browning Version

I haven't enjoyed a film as much as this in ages. I read a few reviews of it afterwards and they're all pretty much the same, saying it's OK but very slow and boring. Didn't find that at all. Great, great performance by Albert Finney as a Latin teacher retiring against his will, who has never stood up to his wife and never stood up to his superiors but has kept his students under a strict disciplinary regime. The whole film builds up to his leaving speech, when we expect him to finally rail against the forces of change with which he so vehemently disagrees, but instead he breaks down and apologises for the way he has treated his students.

OK, now I read that, it sounds boring to me too. But I was mesmerised (and it transported me briefly back to my school days, the happiest time of my life).

Mark Isham's score has little to do for the most part but the finale and end credits are stunning.

John Barry was originally slated to score it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't know that. Would have been a good film for him. Another in the "what might have been" category for him - though at least he was still working regularly at that time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    THE RAINMAKER - Francis Ford Coppola (1997) ***

John Gisham is like the Jackie Collins of law literature; fairly interchangeable novels with a solid factual background, him being a lawyer and all, but without any actual depth. Adaptations tend to be full of noteworthy actors to cover the fact that the plot, however fine in its starting point, ultimately goes all cliche on us in its final acts. So its no wonder it takes a director like Francis Ford Coppola to produce something that's actually worth watching for more than its talent on display.

Coppola does a fine job in handling the several subsidiary plots, developing its characters and balancing the tone to not make it overly dramatic. Its subject, meanwhile (the criminal insurance companies of America and its shameful medical policies) is worth handling, which makes for a gripping thriller that produces enough facts (just watch Moore's Sicko) to make the blood boiling of disgust. And make us all the more thankful for Obama.

Nonetheless, it's the least you could expect from the guy who gave us The Godfather: Part II and Apocalypse Now and it seems silly to applaud a guy like him for the basics of storytelling. Never does he really rise above the merits of a gripping courtroom drama, which means it takes a heavyweight like him to elevate Grisham up to an average of 'middle of the road' stuff. The talent on display, though, is fine once again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    Toy Story 3

I expected it to be great. It was great.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    I expected it to be great. I thought it was mediocre.