• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. HeeroJF wrote
    Do not know. I think Gosford Park's the only one of his I've seen. If his movies led to classic film scores on a more regular basis I might check him out more often.

Gosford Park is great.

Seriously though, check Altman out. Some of the great films have come from him, and while they don't use music in the classic ways we're familiar with, but those techniques we respond to don't work for every film. (Indeed, some of his films have classic music - Nashville comes to mind.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010
    SAW II on TV right now, it's boring me shitless so off goes the TV and off goes me!

Night y'all wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The first Saw was good as far as I recall. I tried to watch the other Saws but thought they all stunk, and I got tired of that bloody music every time the stupid twist was revealed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Saw is one of the crappiest, most ridiculous franchises ever, in all aspects. One of those films whose success make me lose faith in humanity even more wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How many SAW films have been made now? Is it about 50-60?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. David's Dollars Trilogy education is complete - he watched For A Few Dollars More this morning.

The only problem now is that he was looking for western novels in the library this morning. Being guided by the front covers I think he's going to be interested in the pulp western novels. I think that he'll have to be steered away from these for a few years: it's not a genre of novel that I know much about but, going by the covers, they could be a bit too old for him just yet!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Don't be silly, nothing like that. There has only been 35 Saw movies so far. They're currently working on the 36th.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Don't be silly, nothing like that. There has only been 35 Saw movies so far. They're currently working on the 36th.

Peter smile

I stand corrected shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010
    Saw Inception on Imax last night. Fantastic piece of entertainment. Remember how people were blown away when Matrix first came out on the screens? This one takes that feeling ten times fold. Wow!

The score sounded good too! It had more things happening than the Batman kind of brooding minimalism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    In the Electric Mist

Excellent film, beautifully-judged acting, great score.

The Damned United

Loved this too but I think it diverges from the truth quite often.

Trekkies

I found this genuinely frightening. Were Justin Boggan in it, he'd be the most normal person in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

Trekkies

I found this genuinely frightening. Were Justin Boggan in it, he'd be the most normal person in it.

biggrin Let the mt love flow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    The A-Team

I actually enjoyed this one ...
    The movie's 2 hour running time flew by just like that !
    That's gotta mean something ? wink

The A-Team is a brainless , fun action film , don't expect anything more or less ...
    If you want plot ---> move along ---> move along ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited
    Now Watching Blade Runner while I listen Zimmer's Inception cool
  3. Just got back from Inception. A brilliant idea, for sure. After all the hype, and after reading some reviews, I was expecting a twist that would make me want to watch the film again looking for different things. There is no such twist, but that hardly makes a good film less watchable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited
    [spoiler]Ah but there is a twist... that last frame. [/spoiler] That alone makes me want to go back and watch it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    [spoiler]A but there is a twist... that last frame. [/spoiler] That alone makes me want to go back and watch it!

-Erik-

Erik, i haven't read the spoiler tags as i haven't watched the movie yet, but i am sure they contained the words:

Hans Zimmer's brilliant score
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik, [spoiler]I don't think that's much of a twist at all. It is very purposefully left to our imagination to determine whether what we're seeing is real or not. Either way, it doesn't change much about the rest of the movie. I don't think you'll be able to go back through the rest of the film and look at anything differently because of that. That last frame was just a "what if?" frame that was designed to get a cheap gasp from the audience right at the end.[/spoiler] I think. Correct if I'm wrong. If you noticed something or have an idea that I'm missing I'd love to hear it. I WANT to have a reason to watch it again looking for something more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    [spoiler]Actually, if i can recall... the answer to whether Cobb is in a dream or not is pretty obvious. All you have to do is look at his kids. They don't age? They are wearing the same clothes as they do in his visions? His memory of them is the same as they look at the end of the film. So, since I know that Cobb is in a dream right from the beginning I want to see if I can pick out any thing else that would point to that conclusion.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The Party
    Peter Sellers as Hrundi V Bakshi! This was a first time watching this film and it is now my fave Sellers movie. Utterly enjoyable! Birdie num num.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    [spoiler]Actually, if i can recall... the answer to whether Cobb is in a dream or not is pretty obvious. All you have to do is look at his kids. They don't age? They are wearing the same clothes as they do in his visions? His memory of them is the same as they look at the end of the film. So, since I know that Cobb is in a dream right from the beginning I want to see if I can pick out any thing else that would point to that conclusion.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]But is there any indication during the film that significant time has passed since his wife's death? I can't remember them talking about how long she'd been gone or anything. Which is smart if they don't wan the audience to know if that last scene is real or not. If it's been less than a year, those kids could still look the same. That little wobble in the top right before the screen blacked out is what makes me consider that he wasn't in a dream. It's certainly still possible that he is, though, even if it didn't mention how long ago his wife died. If it is a dream, do you think the whole film was a creation of his mind, or do you think that he's still in that limbo place?[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    I just saw Inception and while I didn't understand half the film it was very good! smile
  6. Did you like the score?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    The Party
    Peter Sellers as Hrundi V Bakshi! This was a first time watching this film and it is now my fave Sellers movie. Utterly enjoyable! Birdie num num.

I love the first part of the movie, which is hilarious and has that clumsy Inspector Closeau-like humour that Peter Sellers was so great at. The end, where the party goes nuts has none of the humour that made the first part of the movie great. So I can't call it a favourite of mine, but it's pretty funny.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find The Party more of a curio, an entertaining and very watchable film that's very much of it's time.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you like the score?

It worked in the film but got a bit over bearing in places. The music throughout most of the finale was almost as loud as the sound effects.

On CD it's nothing special, just the usual Zimmer stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you like the score?

It worked in the film but got a bit over bearing in places. The music throughout most of the finale was almost as loud as the sound effects.

On CD it's nothing special, just the usual Zimmer stuff.

I haven't seen the movie yet but it's no regular Zimmer score on CD; listen to it good.
  7. Inception

Mindblowing shocked , even though it will probably take me about 10 times to fully understand everything about this movie, you still get the feeling you understand most of it right away. The second part of the movie is a total rollercoaster ride and offers again stylish thoughtful science fiction thrills. I especially liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, his fight sequence during the dream is visually awesome

as for the score, I really liked it, especially the part when I'm hearing the teaser music returning which I'm so fond of. Brilliant movie, I'm waiting the arrival of my CD to listen to the score separated from the visuals

Nolan, you're already now one of the greats in my book smile

10 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I look forward to seeing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, already in love with the score and whatever Nolan did up to now.