• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    On your last sentence....Why? The score's Mansell's best work to date; you'll be amazed by how greatly and instantly it captures my students' / people who aren't familiar with film music yet - attention with its beauty.

It's a pretty ham-fisted film to me. If you think it's going to walk through a door, it will do it. If you think it's going to try jump the shark, it will jump the shark. If you think the Conquistador is going to turn into a bed of flowers, he will turn into a bed of flowers. (With that last one, the people I was watching it with were all giggling along with me.)

With the music though, I remember a moment in the film where those 3 notes that keep re-appearing played very ominously over a shot of a flower, and I just burst out laughing. It was too much... the sort of thing that Zimmer was doing in DA VINCI CODE, no grace or subtlety at all.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    On your 2nd paragraph, it makes me think of something someone not relevant to film music would say about THE THIN RED LINE for instance, or generally the work of Mallick. "A shot of nature and trees with such dramatic music ontop? Why!? LOL". I can see how you disliking the movie so much might have biased the usage of the score itself, but talking about otherwise natural or 'simple' pictures (as observed from someone who's not looking at the big picture but rather as an isolated and disconnected frame) scored with what appears to be over-dramatic music, you're certainly the last one i'd expect such a comment from wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Definitely more like THE DAVINCI CODE than THE THIN RED LINE. But then Malick's films normally have a bit more nuance to them, in my opinion. There's more mystery. (Or better yet, there's SOME mystery.)
    (THE NEW WORLD is another matter, but Mansell is no Wagner anyway.)
    As to bias... it would be truer to say that while I don't mind the album of the FOUNTAIN, I was disappointed to see it up against the images. I didn't think it was a very strong film score, and that contributed to my not liking the film, rather than the other way around. (A bottom-up approach rather than a top-down approach.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    I am pretty sure he was asked to provide such music, the intentions of the director are pretty obvious.
  3. Incredibly obvious.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    I recently watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It was an odd movie -- lots of dead air and unnecessary story points, but in all quite haunting. The score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis was great... a spooky take on American folk music or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    Margaret

Excellent BBC film about Margaret Thatcher's fall from power, contrasting it with her rise to it. Some of the acting is a bit stilted (owing to being impersonation rather than acting) but I found it gripping despite already knowing everything that would happen. But the score... ouch. It sounded like Remote Control in all senses, in the style of the music and how utterly inappropriate it was at all times it appeared. (Composed by Dominic Muldowney.)
  4. What's interesting is that one of my aunts saw that Thatcher film, and talked about it like it was actual history she was seeing. Films still have a power to make people suspend disbelief, all right.
  5. Bought District 9 on DVD today. I've not seen it but I've been intrigued by the clips I've seen and I've enjoyed the score.

Will report back when I've watched it...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    It'll be interesting to hear what you think? Personally I thought it was very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bought District 9 on DVD today. I've not seen it but I've been intrigued by the clips I've seen and I've enjoyed the score.

Will report back when I've watched it...

I thought it was one of the most gripping and original films i've seen lately. The score works wonders in it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    District 9 was really good... and I really impressed with the CGI work. Some of the best I saw last year next to Avatar. The score however did absolutely NOTHING for me. Can't really remember a thing about it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Ok this movie has intruiged me with all the talk going on. So I can expect an out of the ordinary original sci-fi film then, not an 'aliens come to kick our butt again' type of flick? Good enough for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Erik Woods wrote
    District 9 was really good... and I really impressed with the CGI work. Some of the best I saw last year next to Avatar. The score however did absolutely NOTHING for me. Can't really remember a thing about it.

-Erik-

It was such a noisy movie that even though there seemed to be music going a lot of the time, it was almost always inaudible.

I disagree on it being good though. The story was a shambles, and I didn't care about the assholish main character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    "I'm a fucken prawn!"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What I noticed of the music was okay, nothing that would make me want to hear it away from the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    The Fountain

My rating for the score is ***** out of 5.

Erik Woods wrote
    But the score is outstanding!

Christodoulides wrote
    And the music is friggin brilliant.

Couldn't agree more. Imagine my surprise when I actually tried to read some reviews of this score and almost every reviewer seems to find it average, or below average. Clemmensen gives it 2 stars. Broxton 3 stars. Even our own Southall gives it a pitiful 3 stars.

Come on reviewers, just because something is simplistic and rock-influenced, doesn't mean it should automatically be scoffed at. This score works dammits!

Peter smile
  7. I just imagine what Corigliano would have done with the same palette and idiom. It would have been fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    I just imagine what Corigliano would have done with the same palette and idiom. It would have been fantastic.

Indeed. I'm still "grieving" his rejected Edge of Darkness. I think I'll boycott the movie because of that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I just imagine what Corigliano would have done with the same palette and idiom. It would have been fantastic.

That's a different thing, no comparison. What Clint Mansell does is pretty unique in its own terms...just listen (and watch the movie if you haven't already) to MOON...the man has a unique way of putting intense emotions along the drama of the cinema, without making his music too heavy or too attention-craving. Most importantly, his music echoes to audiences out of film music in standalone listening experiences on album like very few other film composers manage to.
  8. District 9

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. I loved it.

I was drawn completely into this story; [spoiler]so much so that by the end when the crippled shuttle craft was slowly drawn up into the mothership I was concerned that it wasn't going to be quick enough to make it before being shot out of the sky.[/spoiler]

It was great to see a film where I didn't know any of the actors, therefore I didn't know who'd live or die. The "prawns" were - to me - seamlessly integrated into the environment (I'm talking about the visuals and not on a social level).

I'd really recommend it to anyone.

The score, when heard in the film itself, was a bit lost and the only bit that stood out was the wailing vocals every now and them. Luckily, I've heard it apart from the film and think that it's definitely worth hearing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited
    Actually I saw this last month but,

UP

It's very good, of course, as usual for Pixar. But is it so special as many people say? I much prefer WALL-E. I mean, the story around Carl and Ellie is touching, but I felt the adventure itself is a little random, especially around the villain character.

By the way I saw this in 3D with subtitles. It was weird to see the letters floating on the screen! dizzy And, like I felt on BOLT, I don't think 3D effect is necessary. I hate the heavy glasses. Especially with fingerprints on the surface. crazy

On the other hand, one scene from Avatar shown as promotion (after the trailer), looked awesome! I must watch it in theater.

And saw this on DVD yesterday,

Okuribito (Departures)

What a touching movie, much better than I expected... I was worried about making fun of those "sacred" rituals too much, or making it overly romanticized, but actually they didn't. Maybe too many things happened in one story, but still it's well-told and well-balanced between the sensitive issues and humor.

And I got to love Hisaishi's music much more, even if I already loved it so much! The beautiful main theme is actually not just a theme, it plays an important role in the story. Other themes also worked really well, making the scenes more emotional, but not overly done.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

That's a different thing, no comparison. What Clint Mansell does is pretty unique in its own terms....

Oh I agree. But the awe of infinity? Eternity? Imagination? Eternal return and undying love? Don't give me Clint Mansell if you want to tell me about those things. The task requires far more gravitas, I feel. Unfortunately FOUNTAIN set these rather humble targets in its sights, but didn't quite take on the personnel to match the task.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    District 9

It's strange how opinions differ so greatly! I couldn't stand this film, I actually walked out of the cinema because I had better things I could be doing.

Sure, I liked the initial set up, the fact that humans were holding the aliens captive, and I liked the special effects of the ship itself... but I didn't like the actual movie, or the characters in it. I'm also not a fan of those mockumentary style films, like Cloverfield for example. (Which technically has no score, but infinitely better music.)
  10. Following on from your comments about the music used in the Haiti YouTube video, are you against music being used in the "mockumentary"-style movies?

(BTW, I'm not trying to be inflammatory. It's a genuine question.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, not at all. I actually think this movie would have benefited from a better score, it's not an actual documentary after all... though what I have heard, in the film and away from the film, didn't really impress me.

For me, the mockumentary style works up to a point, I don't mind it in small doses. But when the whole film is in that style, I have little patience for it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    District 9

It's strange how opinions differ so greatly! I couldn't stand this film, I actually walked out of the cinema because I had better things I could be doing.

Sure, I liked the initial set up, the fact that humans were holding the aliens captive, and I liked the special effects of the ship itself... but I didn't like the actual movie, or the characters in it. I'm also not a fan of those mockumentary style films, like Cloverfield for example. (Which technically has no score, but infinitely better music.)

The film makes some pretty good points about today's society. A lot of parallelisms put along with sarcasm and cold irony at places.
  11. Watching a 1962 film "That Touch of Mink", just to hear the score (by George Duning).

And the score is VERY nice. Just looked it up quickly, and there has been no release. slant
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

Great fun. I liked Sean as father and Ford as son. Wow! great action stuff from Spielberg.

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

Despite the movie was highly controversial in my country, i really liked this movie. Very good fictional fantasy action adventure flick. No where i find dull moment in the film, very interesting from beginning to end. punk

PATCH ADAMS

This is my all time favorite movie. Why i like this movie most because it insists humor is highly required not only for doctors but also others to improve their own quality of life. Laughter is best medicine, which is highly required for this modern world (especially for some members of maintitles forum biggrin ) . Robin Williams is great as Patch Adams and of course, all the actors are also fantastic. Score by Marc Shaiman is really excellent.

MRS.DOUBTFIRE

Yet another great comedy film. Again Robin Williams delivers..... Great surprise from Howard Shore, yes, score is damn good. Wow! i love this film

JINGLE ALL THE WAY

Wow! childish but fun ride. When i saw this film for first time, i was totally amazed and surprised by Arnie in the film. Wow! Arnie is children/comedy film. That was quite weird for many Arnie fans, that could be the reason many dislike this film. But i am quite exceptional. I rather enjoy surprises. Last 15 minutes was completely roller coaster ride. Oh! yeah, Arnie as Turbo Man. lol Overall, its good family/comedy movie.

What a weekend i had? biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    FULL METAL JACKET

No wonder many regard him as the 2nd best director, after Alfred Hitchcock. It was on my list to watch for ages, caught it last night on tv...brilliant.