• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Children of the Corn
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Race With the Devil
    Rosemary's Baby
    Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D

Good wholesome viewing for all the family eh William? wink

Well, up at college... Don't really have to worry about that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Children of the Corn
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Race With the Devil
    Rosemary's Baby
    Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D

Good wholesome viewing for all the family eh William? wink

Or, or, lots of crap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited
    Armadillo (trailer)

Brilliant documentary! Easy to relate to the soldiers, being a dane myself. Anyway, it's curious how technologically superior we are in a war that we'll probably end up losing in the long run. Btw, anyone seen Restrepo? I hear it's rather similar, but with american soldiers instead of danes.

My rating: 8 outta 10

Hard Candy (trailer)

Holy testicle chopping tuesday, Batman! Good movie, but some rather unpleasant scenes. Difficult not to feel some sympathy for the pedophile (ephebophile?) in the beginning. I think this movie aimed for making you feel ambivalent about the characters. In the end though [spoiler]Ellen Page turned out to be right all along[/spoiler].

Rating: 7

Conan the Destroyer (trailer)

Wow, this was every bit as terrible as Red Sonja. Considering what a fantastic movie Conan the Barbarian was, this sequel was shameful. Glad they made it though, otherwise we wouldn't have Poledouris' great score.

Rating: 3

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great cinematography from Jack Cardif and Basil's superb score are about as good as the film gets.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012
    Paul

I enjoyed this. If I remember right, it didn't get the mixed reviews, and it isn't laugh-out-loud funny very often, but it is a very pleasant way of passing time, with some genuinely funny bits.

The Sand Pebbles

This verges on being a masterpiece, outwardly epic but ultimately a very moving character study, complete with a political message about interfering in other cultures which is (sadly) as relevant now as it was then.

Watched this in 3D at home on the new tv. Still think it's a brilliant piece of entertainment and visually, truly astonishing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    Is the 3dtv worth it James?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

I can't speak for James, but when I saw my dad's 3D TV this Christmas (which, if I remember correctly, is more or less the same James bought), it was definitely worth it. This was really also my first exposure to bluray, so to see that crystal clearness together with 3d lifted the whole TV experience up a few notches.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Invisible Invaders with John Agar and John Carradine.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote

It's incredible. The problem is the lack of content. There's some live sport but very little else. Animations aside, there are so few "real" 3D films (2D conversions are generally an insult, though Cameron's update of Titanic is meant to look incredible).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hope to NEVER own a 3D TV.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited
    I hate 3D with all of my being! While Avatar was indeed a unique experience I see 3D as nothing but a gimmick and a cash grab. Plus, the glass are annoying (especially for my wife who wears glasses as is), the colours become muted and the picture isn't as sharp. Big thumbs down!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kung fu panda 2 (trailer)

Not bad at all, but seemed to contain less funny scenes than the first one, not as good a story and the villian wasn't as menacing.

Rating: 6

Hanna (trailer)

Cool trailer, but rather unentertaining movie.

Rating: 4

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Kung fu panda 2 (trailer)
    the villian wasn't as menacing.

Not surprising given that Ian McShane was the villain in the first one.

I've not seen the second one. I'm a little reluctant to since I enjoy the first one so much... weird logic perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Life of Brian

Very clever, very funny. One of the great comedies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    I've not seen the second one. I'm a little reluctant to since I enjoy the first one so much... weird logic perhaps.

The second one is not bad at all, so it's not like it will destroy Kung Fu Panda for you at all. Give it a look-see.

Its biggest problem is that the first movie had the theme 'Some nobody panda will become ultra maginificent kung fu dragon warrior panda' while the second movie has the theme 'Super kung fu warrior will excel a little bit and be even more awesome'. The first story is of course one of the classics. The second story is the bane of sequels.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Life of Brian

Very clever, very funny. One of the great comedies.

THE GREAT COMEDY

This is my number one.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Airplane, Life of Brian and the Star Wars prequels are probably the greatest comedies of all time (though the later is more a case of tragic comedy).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I hate 3D with all of my being! While Avatar was indeed a unique experience I see 3D as nothing but a gimmick and a cash grab. Plus, the glass are annoying (especially for my wife who wears glasses as is), the colours become muted and the picture isn't as sharp. Big thumbs down!

-Erik-

I agree that it's often overdone, and I still don't believe the socalled "Avatar revolution" has ushered in 3D for good. History has proven that it always comes and goes, like the yo-yo. But I still think a welldone 3D film is a fantastic experience, whether on TV or in the cinema.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Airplane, Life of Brian and the Star Wars prequels are probably the greatest comedies of all time (though the later is more a case of tragic comedy).

Yeah, Airplane has more laughs per minute than anything else I've seen. Life of Brian just so perfectly captures what I feel about organised religion. The whole People's Front of Judea / Judean People's Front stuff is just genius.

Some of the Marx Bros films are absolute comic genius. I always find it hard to name my favourite of anything. All these are right up there. Woody Allen at his peak was brilliant. W.C. Fields was uproarious from what little I've seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree that it's often overdone, and I still don't believe the socalled "Avatar revolution" has ushered in 3D for good. History has proven that it always comes and goes, like the yo-yo. But I still think a welldone 3D film is a fantastic experience, whether on TV or in the cinema.

Absolutely! The home technology has moved on hugely from the early days, too. Watch my set and I don't think anyone would complain about muted colours - they just aren't. Not much I can say about finding the glasses uncomfortable, though - it's not a problem I have myself, nor does my wife who usually wears normal glasses, but I can definitely see how it could be a problem for some people. When done really well - Avatar, Hugo - I think 3-D can make a film a whole lot better. Even on something like Toy Story 3 (which I've seen in 2-D and 3-D) I think it's just a more well-rounded, richer experience in three dimensions. But to each, his own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote

Airplane and Life of Brian are the two greatest comedies ever. The SWs I consider more tragic tragedies than trageic comedies. Not because episode 2 and 3 were that bad, but because of what they could and should have been.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote

Airplane and Life of Brian are the two greatest comedies ever. The SWs I consider more tragic tragedies than trageic comedies. Not because episode 2 and 3 were that bad, but because of what they could and should have been.

Peter smile

Airplane and Life of Brian was one of the best double bills I ever saw at the cinema.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    Those films, at least to me, are witty and amusing more so then laugh out loud funny.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dumb & Dumber made my belly ache.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm. Never seen it. Comedy films which do that to me are rare indeed. Would be interested in hearing other people's lists of such.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a weird one, Jim Carrey films don't do much for me ( I hated the Pet Detective films ) but D & D just hit my funny bone and never let up. I'd suggest getting beered up with mates and viewing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    My best mate and I went to the cinema after the restaurant tonight because no one else felt like doing anything. We saw THE DESCENDANTS, primarily because of the good reviews but also due to the fact that I only noticed just beforehand that it was directed by Alexander Payne of SIDEWAYS - one of my favourite films of the last few years.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has Payne's stamp all over it; it's funny and touching, well paced and wonderfully acted. Quite tearjerking in parts.

Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Dumb & Dumber made my belly ache.

My all time fav comedy and one of my all time favourite films.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It gives Hollywood an excuse to remake all their previous films.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!