• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    I watched the 1943 version of Jane Eyre to hear the Herrmann score. I wasn't disappointed.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Dumb & Dumber made my belly ache.

My all time fav comedy and one of my all time favourite films.

-Erik-

It's excellent. Make sure you don't watch the stupid remake / prequel that they made many years after the original and which is offensively retarded. But the original is a classic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I hate 3D with all of my being! While Avatar was indeed a unique experience I see 3D as nothing but a gimmick and a cash grab. Plus, the glass are annoying (especially for my wife who wears glasses as is), the colours become muted and the picture isn't as sharp. Big thumbs down!

-Erik-

To witness the usefulness of 3D go and watch IMAX Hubble 3D or Space Station 3D. I have these at home, they both blow my mind and if by the end of the (way too short) films YOU are not convinced that 3D is an awesome technology that really puts you in the image and helps the overall presentation I'll eat my discs with some fava beans and a nice chianti. But that simply won't happen as there's no way you will not be convinced.

Another great use of 3D nowadays is found in video gaming, where it makes a lot more sense to move in completely 3D rendered worlds. I've played a few games (Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Shadow of the Colossus) already this way and I love it. It doesn't improve the game but it sure as makes it a lot more immersive and cool to play.

I may not have the best 3DTV out there because mine is a LED but I have no problems whatsoever with mute colours or unsharp picture.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Dumb & Dumber made my belly ache.

My all time fav comedy and one of my all time favourite films.

-Erik-

It's excellent. Make sure you don't watch the stupid remake / prequel that they made many years after the original and which is offensively retarded. But the original is a classic.

So I've heard. Consider it missed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I think the atmosphere of Jane Eyre would disappear in 3D. I don't think Welles and Herrmann would have approved.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Somehow I think the atmosphere of Jane Eyre would disappear in 3D. I don't think Welles and Herrmann would have approved.
    Tom

True enough perhaps, but just because it might not work for those films doesn't mean it shouldn't be used at all. The problem is, like CG, it can be very easily used as a gimmick. So I understand your concerns. But like CG, it can also be used to wonderful effect adding another level of experience to the film. It just happens to be another tool in the filmmaker's box that can either be used well or used badly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A tool that has been misused for the most part but I understand where you're coming from.
    Tom
  1. I am assuming that, if you have a 3D TV, you can watch "proper" TV as well?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    A tool that has been misused for the most part but I understand where you're coming from.
    Tom

You're probably right. Admittedly I've only seen four 3D films myself (all of them had good use of 3D).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

You're probably right. Admittedly I've only seen four 3D films myself (all of them had good use of 3D).

I've seen two...

THOR = :shrug:

I haven't included IMAX documentaries where the use of 3D has, in my experience, always been exceptional.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, as Steven said, it's a tool that can be used in a very good way, or just shouldn't be used. Not every film warrants a 3D approach. The problem is just, because it's such a new tool, all studios are forcing their directors to use it in their films to boost ticket sales, hence a lot of films that use it in an improper way. I've seen many films in 3D, and only 3 of them used it well: Avatar, Tron: Legacy and Tintin. They were all developed in 3D from the start. All the rest should've been left in 2D as they give the medium a bad name and generate overkill. I hope studios will come to realize this soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012
    Thor is hideous, score and film. Avatar rocks as an experience overall.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought THOR was great fun, really REALLY enjoyed it. I didn't think much of the score, very RC/MV'ish, a shame because Thor could have done with a touch of Henry V rather than the muck it got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm right in the middle of your opinions on Thor, I thought it was epic meh. It didn't offend, but it didn't enthral either.

The only decent Avenger film so far has been Ironman… and that received probably the worst score of the bunch (though The Incredible Hulk by Craig Armstrong is pretty bad).
  2. All I can say is -- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

And if I had to elaborate: The most well-made genre film in years, surely, and a great deal more accomplished than a great many recent art films to boot. I liked Let the Right One In from the same director, but this is something else again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    All I can say is -- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

And if I had to elaborate: The most well-made genre film in years, surely, and a great deal more accomplished than a great many recent art films to boot. I liked Let the Right One In from the same director, but this is something else again.

I found that film disastrously boring and insanely complex. I just don't connect well with crime films and/or conspiracy films like this, with lots of names and connections and intrigues. Again with the onslaught of information in the dialogue. I'm simply not wired for that, and it goes against everything I love about films (even though it LOOKED wonderful, not doubt about that....great cinematography by Hoyte van Hoytema). Either that or I'm just too stupid.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is in a whole other class in terms of quality, IMO.

But I'm not surprised we feel differently about this, franz. We're very different in this particular area, and I suspected this would be up your alley. Even one of my favourite actors, Gary Oldman, couldn't save it for me. And I really don't like Alberto Iglesias either.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It's not the best score Iglesias has ever done, but it's ok. As always, reserved and unsentimental from that composer, but admittedly not a lot of a fun to listen to.

What I particularly liked about the film: (i) consistency of concerns from start to finish, and perfect style choices to reflect; (ii) the more willing embrace of the emotional side of the men at the heart of the tale, done without sentimentally; (iii) the amount of storytelling done purely by editing and mise-en-scene (there is actually so little verbal exposition in the film compared to the visual exposition... the opening titles being quite bold in the amount of information and relationships it sets up). The latter point is a big one for me -- this is no Syriana where verbosity and desire to make a point frustrate a promising canvas. It's dense, but if you're alert you'll catch it all, and the feeling is in the form anyway. Or that's what I saw.

Speaking of seeing, the film introduces itself as a film about looking very well. That dance of eyes in Budapest at the start. The final exchange of looks between two key male characters is another. And then there's that scene of Rear Window-esque watching in the middle. (And Smiley's vision at the window of the old office party. And his endless staring down at the train tracks.) Other characters don't need to look at each other, and there are scenes about that too.

Another thing I really like is the way (SPOILER) the film is structured around the absence of two of the most important characters. A good choice, that makes it feel like there's more to the world of the film than what ended up on screen. (END SPOILER)

Of course to some extent Let the Right One In has these virtues too, but less of (i). That's more a film of sequences for me. They're all great sequences, inventively directed, but it adds up to be a bit too self conscious. And perhaps I also respect him more that he brought 1970s England so arrestingly to life with a very clear consistent sense of the filmmaker at work, than his own native Sweden. The power of the filmmaker as an outsider. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012
    RV:

Caddyshack
    Cast Away
    Catch Me If You Can
    Kingpin
    Saving Private Ryan

Loved Catch Me If You Can! Really great film. I've been going through a Bill Murray / Tom Hanks phase, it would seem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012
    RV: The Terminal

Fantastic film! Loved Tom Hanks' accent in this one. Williams' score was quite a nice listen, too.
  4. John Carpenter's The Ward

I always wondered what would happen if John Carpenter made a movie today. If The Ward is the best he can come up with then I don't care anymore. Typical horror movie like we see them today, with a twist that doesn't even make sense considering we never saw any indications. Plus it's not scary, hasn't got a Carpenter feel and mood, and I miss Carpenter's music in it

bah 4 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    John Carpenter's The Ward

I always wondered what would happen if John Carpenter made a movie today. If The Ward is the best he can come up with then I don't care anymore. Typical horror movie like we see them today, with a twist that doesn't even make sense considering we never saw any indications. Plus it's not scary, hasn't got a Carpenter feel and mood, and I miss Carpenter's music in it

bah 4 out of 10

I agree. I'm afraid Carpenter has already said what he had to say (which is a lot by the way). Don't think he'll ever be able to come back to his best days.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
    William wrote
    RV: The Terminal

Fantastic film! Loved Tom Hanks' accent in this one. Williams' score was quite a nice listen, too.

I really like this one too, though not many seem to agree. Yes, it's very sweet and sentimental throughout -- but I like that.

The only thing is it really should have ended with him in the taxi driving away from the airport rather than stretch it on for a few more pointless minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The English Patient

A lovely, old-fashioned film. Really like it. I think I've only seen it bit-by-bit before.
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited
    A Dangerous Method

Love it,love it,love it....

Plus Keira Knightley,mwha.... kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night. Excellent film.

Now can someone give me a really good reason as to why Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are getting so much flack for their score? While I'm no fan of their overrated score to The Social Network and their score to Dragon Tattoo is quite a chore to get through on CD but IN THE FILM I think the music works wonders. It's far from being the best score written in 2011 but it was quite effective, got a great mix, and fit the tone of the film like a glove!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night. Excellent film.

Now can someone give me a really good reason as to why Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are getting so much flack for their score? While I'm no fan of their overrated score to The Social Network and their score to Dragon Tattoo is quite a chore to get through on CD but IN THE FILM I think the music works wonders. It's far from being the best score written in 2011 but it was quite effective, got a great mix, and fit the tone of the film like a glove!

-Erik-

I have no idea why it gets so much flack (well, I have an idea, but I'm reluctant to say it as I would probably alienate a certain group of people even further), but I love it! Inside the film and outside!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Because it is a difficult listen and few people have seen the film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Because it is a difficult listen and few people have seen the film?

I'm not sure about either of those two, actually. Whether it's a difficult listen or not is up the individual. To me, it's definitely not. It's just GOOD listening. And it's also somewhat of a blockbuster. It's a big Hollywood film, not a small art film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    kokodezil wrote
    A Dangerous Method

Love it,love it,love it....

Plus Keira Knightley,mwha.... kiss

Great film indeed, although the scenography seems a little "tame" to me? Knightly is absolutely wonderful!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE GUARD ( 2011 )

I'd already seen this film a couple of weeks ago but Mel's sister brought it around to mine and wanted to see it and I was more than happy to see it again, A black Irish comedy film starring Brendan Gleesan as an unorthodox policeman in a backwater Irish coastal town about to be the scene of a huge drugs shipment, enter Don Cheadle as FBI officer assigned to advise how to deal with with the drug lords, great chemistry between the two chalk & cheese leading stars with many laugh out loud moments in this excellent and very un-PC comedy, I highly recommend it.

9/10

p.s. the score was very much a homage to Morricone's spagetti westerns.