• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Because it is a difficult listen and few people have seen the film?

I'm not sure about either of those two, actually. Whether it's a difficult listen or not is up the individual.

... allowing for the possibility that there are a great many individuals who disagree! But prob not in this case. Most people don't care about the music in a film. They just want the story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    Thor wrote
    I found that film disastrously boring and insanely complex. I just don't connect well with crime films and/or conspiracy films like this, with lots of names and connections and intrigues. Again with the onslaught of information in the dialogue. I'm simply not wired for that, and it goes against everything I love about films (even though it LOOKED wonderful, not doubt about that....great cinematography by Hoyte van Hoytema). Either that or I'm just too stupid.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is in a whole other class in terms of quality, IMO.

But I'm not surprised we feel differently about this, franz. We're very different in this particular area, and I suspected this would be up your alley. Even one of my favourite actors, Gary Oldman, couldn't save it for me. And I really don't like Alberto Iglesias either.

Same here. I was not a big fan of it either. This film was praised during the film festival in october and I couldn't help but having a hard time staying awake during this film thinking "Is it just me?" I'm ok with long movies and I like complex stories, like maybe Munich or the successful le Carré adaptation The Constant Gardener, if I had to name a few. It's not that there were too many story-lines or characters running around, but I couldn't help but losing the feeling who the main character was and what the main narrative was trying to tell us, because the story was jumping in all kinds of different directions (and places).

At first Gary Oldman takes the lead, but when it turns out Mark Strongs character had a much stronger presence than the former. Then the other actors are often great to watch, but in this film, most of them never succeeded in making me forget which actor I was watching (Cirian Hinds, Toby Jones, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, ...) and it's not a bonus that Colin Firth is playing the same part he has already done (sort of) for like a 100 times. Change something about this guy! Give him a pair of glasses! Give him a mustache! Give him a new haircut! (Oh wait. They sort of tried that in The Last Legion and it looked-Tom Hanks-Da Vinci Code-awfull. ps Do not watch that film. Both. But never the less...)

And man... I got this feeling already after ten minutes, thinking... It's not thàt kind of movie isn't it... And than it ìs. Oh god. (The score did not helped either. Fits the film like a glove: moody, distinguished, slow, and dull beyond belief!)

The other strange thing (spoilers ahead) is - it is supposed to be an intellectual film... So you don't necessarily expect that (1.) in the end the 'bad guy' will be found or caught 2. he is screwing the other guy's wife and 3. his victim takes his revenge. But... all these things happen! It's like some movies have a straight story and an open ending and Tinker Tailor has an open story and a straight ending. Although I have the feeling that, while I'm writing this, if I would see the movie again, it might surprise me how well all the ends are tied up. Maybe I should see it again, but hey, I already tried hard enough.

I got the same feeling with Let the Right One In... In the end: nothing but a classic story, but told as if it is something else, something more original or much 'deeper' and 'serious' than any other Horror or Spy-drama-thriller. And yes, while it is a little less "Hollywood" and a little more "realistic" - most characters and plot have more development than usually - on the other hand, Tinker Taylor also loses the entertaining values of me wanting/trying to find out who the mole is, of actually rooting for a sympathetic character, or having the scary feeling that something bad will happen. It reminded me of "Enigma" in many same ways, which I would gladly see for a second time, except that Tinker Taylor has ten times more characters and places and it lacks the emotional hook. It's also not all that different from The Good Sheperd (One interrogation scene was particularly similar in tone and resolution): Same thing: Some wonderful individual scenes, here and there, but in the end: not involving or interesting enough for me to care.

I'm a little surprised Gary Oldman was nominated for best actor, not because he did a bàd job, he might have been a little underrated before, but because I didn't really noticed nor cared for his role. Strange nominee, not the kind of role a lesser known actor would have been praised for, I think. 6/10

Paranormal Activity (Scary movie? Hell yes! Good Movie? No!) Dumb ending. 4/10

Boy A (a little too much talking heads) 7/10

Amercian Splendor
    (a fantastic mixture of reality and fiction!) 9/10
    You should see it because
    - Paul Giamatti can be amazing in some great films and this is one of them!
    - the mixture of honesty, real people, graphic novels, tv-footage, documentary and fiction is very rare and very interesting!
    - The main character/person is one of the most common guys / irritating / pathetic / losers / low class / awkward / anti-heroes you'll ever see in a movie; and that means it is also a very funny film!
    It tells a lot about the need for succes, fame, self image, loneliness, love, life... in the same ways why the graphic novels about Harvey Pekar are/were so successful. You might recognize moments and feelings of your own life in funny and sweet ways.
  2. Enigma is better? (fair film, but like Charlotte Gray, past its time not adding nuance to justify the revisit)

The Good Shepherd is better? (nice film, but in over its head)

It's not clear who the main character is?

The director is pretending things are more important than they are? (my main criticism of JJ Abrams Star Trek and Mission Impossible films -- he keeps pretending things matter more than the writers thought they did)

Okay. Maybe this will all pop up on my third viewing. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Priest

Blimey, this was crap. But I am even more in awe of Christopher Young's score than I was before watching it. How in hell did he come up with that for a film this bad?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Took a tip off that old master of giving great scores to crap films I expect...

Step forward Jerry Goldsmith.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. It's better than Twilight. At least it has real vampires, and not sparkling teen fairies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twilight should be burnt to ashes...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen any of the TWILIGHT films....any good?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Would you recommend these films on a forever loop with Abu Qatada strapped to a chair in front of a big loud screen with his eyes stitched permanently open while intravenously fed amphetamines?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thought so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    kokodezil wrote
    A Dangerous Method

Love it,love it,love it....

Plus Keira Knightley,mwha.... kiss

Isn't it a snoozefest? Btw i saw this alternate title somewhere, for the film: DAT ASS
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's better than Twilight. At least it has real vampires, and not sparkling teen fairies.

Are you kidding? A steaming hot pile of shit is better than Twilight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    THE GUARD ( 2011 )

I'd already seen this film a couple of weeks ago but Mel's sister brought it around to mine and wanted to see it and I was more than happy to see it again, A black Irish comedy film starring Brendan Gleesan as an unorthodox policeman in a backwater Irish coastal town about to be the scene of a huge drugs shipment, enter Don Cheadle as FBI officer assigned to advise how to deal with with the drug lords, great chemistry between the two chalk & cheese leading stars with many laugh out loud moments in this excellent and very un-PC comedy, I highly recommend it.

9/10

p.s. the score was very much a homage to Morricone's spagetti westerns.

Saw it too the other day, thought you'd like it! Splendid little film with strong performances!
  4. Demetris wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's better than Twilight. At least it has real vampires, and not sparkling teen fairies.

Are you kidding? A steaming hot pile of shit is better than Twilight.

We already know that.
  5. I am having one of those days where I can't get enthusiastic about anything so I had a look through my DVDs to see if there was something I fancied watching.

I ended up watching Kurosawa's Ran and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have had the DVD of many, many years (I bought it after getting Toru Takemitsu's score on CD) but had never watched more than the first few minutes. The film looked great and, although I got lost in bits trying to follow who was who, it was an absorbing experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012
    Just saw: WAR HORSE

So much music, and I get to hear every note of Mr. Williams passionately written (and performed!) score through the superb and generous sound mix. I'm grateful and delighted!
  6. The Warrior's Way

Well, I wanted to see it the moment I saw the trailer (which is kinda dumb but got me hooked nonetheless). What I got however was a much better film than I first imagined. Pretty formal story, but nicely brought due to the cool look, the amazing visual design and the fun (and caring) performances of the actors. Plus I got to enjoy the music of Javier Navarrete as well, something that didn't capture me with my first initial listen. Goes to show that I really have to see the movies first to determine their worth in in the film. Anyway, it was like Speed Racer (somewhat the same look) but mixed with very poetic scenes from director Sngmoo Lee.

Plus for once we have a real bad guy, not the kind your grandmother wouldn't even be afraid of, but a really really bad guy crazy

Very pleasantly surprised, I'm gonna buy this one smile

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. "To Sir, With Love 2"

Sidney Poitier repraises his role of Mr. Thackeray thirty years after the original.

This time, coming out of retirement, Mr. Thackeray isn't teaching a rambunctuous group of sodding little brats, but troubled inner city youths in Chicago, with students in a violent gang, drugs, money for sex, and guns.

The film doesn't get as dark or violent as it could in such a situation and location, but nonetheless it's handled very well, with some great set ups, and payoffs in the emotional department, and some very nice acting from some of the troubled youth.

Much like the daft gaggle overseas, Mr. Thackeray manages to move and shape his class into people with potential.

He's a teacher who really cares, takes his time to check on each student, and does his job well.

The TV film even takes time aside, though not necessary, to address his passed and an old love interest, as his wife of the first film has passed on, which was a nice touch.

Poitier of course delivers a first class performance, and this could be one of the greatest sequels ever made, especially considering it's a TV movie.

The draw backs:

The film is too short, at 92 minutes; you feel like some good scenes were never fully covered, though rather nicely covered in the writing department. This should have been a 130 minutes production.

The scoring is by somebody named Trevor Lawrence (Ron Grainer scored the original '67' film).
    The score is short, I'd say there's probably under 15 minutes, and mainly orchestral, though not in the sense you might assume, and it short where it is. It has not real core to it all, just sort of does it's own thing where it is. The film could really have used some score in some other places, and a more dramatic work with a core.
    Especially it should have replaced the two aweful songs, including the one that goes over the opening credits, as both, like I said, are aweful, and also date the film badly (1996).

Both films are highly recommended.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    Sounds a bit like a racially inverse Blackboard Jungle?

Haven't seen either film (to my shame. shame . I do like Sidney Poitier a lot as an actor (and what he's meant to and done for Hollywood can't even begin to be overstated), so that's something I really need to redress!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Must. See. This.

Peter cheesy

Yeah, I've been curious about it ever since I first heard about it some 4-5 years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh-hooooo! It's OUT now, is it?

Wunderbar! I just LOVE a good Evil Empire movie!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Crikey! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    Dear Zachary (trailer)

This documentary has got to be the most emotionally exhausting thing I've ever seen. If you want to see a movie that makes you want to curl up in a fetus position under a table and cry your eyes out, this is the one. Rather traumatizing, but in the end I'm glad I watched it. I was bothered by some of the editing, but otherwise a very fine documentary.

My rating: 9

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
    The artist (trailer)

I liked it. Very well done, and rather funny before it got all depressing. Anyway, the main character has the greatest smile ever. I wish I had a smile like that.

Curious, looking up on imdb, that the two main characters are from french cinema. Never heard of them before now. I guess it's a good opportunity, being a silent movie, to introduce the brilliant acting of non-english actors to an english-speaking audience, Had it been a talking movie, these actors would only get roles outside of France if they were roles that demanded heavy french accents.

The score was great in the movie, but can't imagine I'd enjoy it on its own.

Rating: 7

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
    Seriously? the score is a marvelous listening experience on its own too. Don't dismiss it like that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012
    Battle Los Angeles

I struggled through an hour of this before finally giving up. Most boring film I've ever seen (an hour of). Totally inept.
  8. Boring? Come on. If you think that the first hour of the movie (which is action-packed) was boring, I wonder what must be entertaining for you.