• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. With the recent talk of Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture I went back and watched the film (The Director's Cut version) and played the film-maker's commentary (the one with Robert Wise, Jerry Goldsmith and others).

Interesting to hear the various experiences people had trying to get this film finished.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I love that film, but that wasn't always the case. I thought it was a total drag when I was younger. The director's cut with the much improved special effect and great sound has now turned me into an admirer of the film. It's also such a slow moving film (which doesn't bother me actually) you have more than enough time to marvel at all the incredible effects shots and hear Jerry's wonderful contribution. There is also a very likeable chemistry between the cast members, and it's always a pleasure to see them together.

One of these days I will have to listen to that commentary. I'm sure it's very intruiging.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    There was a comment on the slow pace of the film is something that is a good feature of the film. I think that it is Douglas Trumbull on the commentary who was commenting that he liked the way in which this film is able to take its time in moving the story along - unlike today (he says where there seems to be an edit "every 8 frames").

(I hadn't realised that Mark Lenard appeared in this film until I heard some of the trivia on the commentary.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was a comment on the slow pace of the film is something that is a good feature of the film. I think that it is Douglas Trumbull on the commentary who was commenting that he liked the way in which this film is able to take its time in moving the story along - unlike today (he says where there seems to be an edit "every 8 frames").

(I hadn't realised that Mark Lenard appeared in this film until I heard some of the trivia on the commentary.)

Oh, I didn't know Mark Lenard was in it either? ( Played Spock's dad for those who don't know )

I like the slow pace of the film and we who are fans of Jerry's score should be truly thankful for that, it is very rare that any composer let alone a great one get's such an illustrious canvas to compose upon.

p.s. Critics at the time dubbed it STAR TREK THE MOTIONLESS PICTURE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I find the revealed identity of V'Ger so ridiculous that I can't decide whether to laugh or laugh even harder. I can't really enjoy it as a sci-fi because of this, and it's too slow to be enjoyed as a comedy.

Also, I never watched the original Star trek show, so the crew has absolutely no appeal to me.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think having a great affection for the original show and characters does indeed play a large part in enjoying this film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Indeed, all the Star trek films seem to rely heavily on this; too heavily in fact. I'm a TNGer, so the latter films appeal more to me. None of the films with the old cast does anything for me.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Again I've noticed a divide many times, obviously it's an age thing, TNG characters are very much less appealling to me.
  3. Timmer wrote

So even back in those days TMP was slow? I find that surprising. Even Alien is now considered by today's standards to be a very slow film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Again I've noticed a divide many times, obviously it's an age thing, TNG characters are very much less appealling to me.

I've never seen much of any of the TV shows, the odd episode at times, but I definitely grew up with the movies. Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Takei, Koenig, Nichols: those are the people I'll associate with Trek forever.

Though I do like Stewart and company as well. Just a little less.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

So even back in those days TMP was slow? I find that surprising. Even Alien is now considered by today's standards to be a very slow film.

Well, it was never considered an action film, more haunted house in space.

Most big budget blockbusters now dare not slow down lest we notice there's no plot, no story and crap dialogue wink
  5. Well I like both kinds. Watching Transformers, followed by Star Trek... I can do that.

I just use my brain in two slightly different ways though, well one way I put it in neutral. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Not necessarily an age thing. I think the TNG characters are less appealing simply because they're much duller. Even in the weaker of the first six films, there's a camaraderie amongst the top three actors/characters at least that is very appealing to me and was never replicated in the TNG universe (Deep Space Nine came by far the closest).
  6. yeah

Spot on!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not necessarily an age thing. I think the TNG characters are less appealing simply because they're much duller. Even in the weaker of the first six films, there's a camaraderie amongst the top three actors/characters at least that is very appealing to me and was never replicated in the TNG universe (Deep Space Nine came by far the closest).

Re-considered with a bit more thought............

FACT!

You're absolutely right, I just don't really give a fig about TNG characters.
  7. I think there's an even deeper issue than the characters, although that's a major one. Gene Roddenberry -- as he got older -- seemed to have trouble with anyone who introduced conflict with consequences into his universe. TNG took years to acquire the sorts of stakes that regularly featured in the films of the original crew, and by the time they got around it, it was too late to shake the impression that everyone just got on a little too well. (Perhaps connected to the end of the Cold War and the brief sense that the US had 'won history' that occurred over the show's 7 years.) In this sense the reimagined Battlestar Galactica was a welcome shot in the arm.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Re-considered with a bit more thought............

FACT!

You're absolutely right, I just don't really give a fig about TNG characters.

Well, I don't give a fig about the characters from the original series. They are completely void of charm. FACT!

So there you have it. tongue

That said, I can see where the TNG characters can be unappealing, and that's that they all have a TV actor quality to them. I guess the only ones I really like are Picard and Data, oh, and Worf has his moments.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    Star Trek Generations has maybe the best character moments of the 4 four last films. On the one hand there's Data activating his emotion chip and the repercussions that has, secondly Picard losing his brother, and last there's the meeting between Kirk and Picard, some magical moments there and one of the reasons I've always liked that film.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    I've always had fun with a Star Trek movie, but never really liked the TV shows. After seeing the reboot, I thought I would give it (them) another chance, and I loved DS9, but still couldn't get into TOS or TNG. But the movies? Usually fun, and Wrath of Kahn is an absolute classic!

Myself, I'm finally getting around to watching American Horror Story. Liking it very much (not enough ghost stories on tv!) and though I'm half-way through now, I'm glad the second season is not going to follow the same family/house. Hopefully they'll take advantage of that and explore some different ideas, rather than rehashing everything with a different coat of paint!
  8. "The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella"

This has to be the best telling of Cinderella I have ever seen.
    Richard Chamberlain, pulling off his Christopher Reeve "Somewhere In Time" look, plays the prince, and somebody named Gemma Craven plays Cinderella (she's cute and innocent looking).

I've never read the book that inspired all these films, so I can't say how much was borrowed, but this version expanded on details and made the whole thing more believable in certain areas.

The film has some good dialogue, expands on characters, and flows nicely.

As opposed to the Disney animated film, where the sisters are ugly and treat Cinderella mean and she weaps and runs away, here Cinderella stands up for herself just a little, but ultimately she is treated like dirt and you feel bad for her, genuinly bad --- it strikes a chord.

There's some real character conflict between the prince and the king, adding more dpeth to the film and giving good reasons why the king is trying to marry him off to a princess.

The film, has musical numbers; I'd say a fairly big orchestra, and dancing, what not. On the rare occassion, dialogue doesn't synch to the lips -- obviously the singing was recorded seperately and layed over.
    I'm sure they're catchy and good, but for the most part I just can't get through a musical, so I just sort of scanned through them.

The film is beautiful -- full of lovely settings, cinematography, colors -- it's cinenomatic eye candy. It really works in the film.

I'd say the only casting that didn't work for me was the Fairy Godmother. I think if somebody, say Candice Bergen, had been chosen, it would have been far better.

Despite being from 1976, the film doesn't feel dated at all. And the lush, beautiful arranged & adapted score by Angela Morley is a clear winner (though at times it sounds more like a symphony). The IMDB credit, which I have corrected (still awaiting the change) is wrong: she IS credited.

Check it out:
    Part 1 (of 11): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZ4CJ8OFOI
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Star Trek Generations has maybe the best character moments of the 4 four last films. On the one hand there's Data activating his emotion chip and the repercussions that has, secondly Picard losing his brother, and last there's the meeting between Kirk and Picard, some magical moments there and one of the reasons I've always liked that film.

I've never understood why Generations is one of the most loathed Star trek movies. It's been a while though. I will have to see it again now.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I've never understood why Generations is one of the most loathed Star trek movies. It's been a while though. I will have to see it again now.

Peter smile

Start with a viewing of THIS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I loved that guy's review of the Star wars prequels. I will try to see Generations first, then I'll see his review. He might convince me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012
    Hello everyone cheesy
    Need some advice, although we'll go see the movies anyway:

Is it necessary to have seen the Alien movies before seeing Prometheus?

Any opinions on The Amazing Spiderman?

spin

What movies did we see recently... not many.

The Avengers in the theatres

And we watched Blades of Glory again on DVD, the kids enjoyed it too

Last week Date Night was on TV. I remembered it as a nice movie so when we watched it again I was surprised how funny it was again. I had forgotten about it. Not brilliantly funny, but more funny than expected kind of funny. Quinn and I had some good laughs.

Annapolis was on TV too. We were just zapping around. We missed the beginning but watched it till the end. Interesting how the kids experience a 'drama' as slow and nothing happening. After the movie they said... 'OK... so what was it about??'. When they see a movie is a drama, they don't want to see it (especially Julian) because they think it's either very sad or slow and boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Hello everyone cheesy
    Need some advice, although we'll go see the movies anyway:

No, not necessarily...but you will miss quite a bit of "story enhancing" background information.
    The film is quite stunning to look at, and entertaining enough, but it probably won't mean all that much without having seen (at least) Alien and Aliens
    But you won't be bored.

Mind you: Alien and Aliens are vastly different films from Prometheus. For one thing, they're quite a bit scarier!

Any opinions on The Amazing Spiderman?

Apparently it's quite entertaining and the 3D is very well done...but it's a quickie.
    The studio had to make the film so as not to lose the rights.
    So, that should tell you a bit about the mindset.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Bregje wrote

No, but you'll have a deeper understanding if you at least watch the original. There are references and cool moments that you will go over your head if you have no clue what the 'space jockey' is, for instance.

And go ahead watch the second too, it's non-stop thrill ride and one of the all-time best sequels, my favourite film ever and that will never change.

And then you can watch Prometheus. wink
  10. Martijn beat me to it, you fast Dutchman you...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What Martijn and Gilles said though it's not necessary to see ALIENS* before seeing Prometheus.

*Though ALIENS must be seen by you at some point, one of my favourite sci-fi films ever and arguably James Cameron's best film.
  11. Well that's arguable because I love all of JC's films starting from The Terminator.

They're all hugely entertaining to the point I always keep coming back to them, they've all raised the bar on a technical level and all of them featuring strong character roles for women.

But if I had to choose one: yep ALIENS it is, but simply for the fact it has EVERYTHING I want in a movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like most of Cameron's films, now I think about it. Titanic is least appealing to me because it's just not my type of film, but I can tell how well-made it is for what it is. I keep meaning to watch Aliens again at some point.