• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    First news regarding next year´s Festival:

Úbeda to Celebrate the Life and Works of Alex North

"Marking the composer's centenary, the Úbeda International Film Music Festival is announcing a large-scale tribute, including a number of special-interest sessions, workshops, live performances and many other activities yet-to-be-disclosed".

More soon!

Just reminding that Michael Giacchino is gonna be the Honorary President, with the patronage of Patrick Doyle and Robert Townson taking care of the artistic direction.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Have any other composers announced their attendance yet?

Also sorry I haven't email you on you-know what - I'll try and get it across this weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    Not yet. But there might be some interesting news in the near future regarding one of the issues that worry you the most (I´m talking non spanish people): transport. Let´s wait and see.

Oh don´t worry about the mail Ant, no rush wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It would be a big help if next year's festival could be held nearer to my house.

Also, I think the organising festival should make it a bit more like the Olympics, and move the location around, following a highly corrupt bidding process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    It would be a big help if next year's festival could be held nearer to my house.

Ghent is! Next year is the 10th WSA, I expect a festivity year with concerts!

Also, I think the organising festival should make it a bit more like the Olympics, and move the location around, following a highly corrupt bidding process.

biggrin punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    Nathan Barr, with his ‘True Blood’, becomes the first guest to join the 2010 program.

International Film Music Festival ‘Ciudad de Úbeda’ announces the presence of composer Nathan Barr in its 6th edition, to be celebrated July 15-18, 2010. Besides taking part in the talks and conferences, the organisation and the composer are preparing a concert that will take place July 15: ‘True Blood: the Concert’. Not only will Nathan Barr include his popular music for the series but will arrange it specifically for the concert. The composer himself will be one of the players, on a night that will provide some surprises.

More news soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    Good news, but not a top item on the programme I hope?

Is already something know about the "improved transport or way to get there"?
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote

yeah, it will probably be "50 euros more"
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marcel, any official link on these first news?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Nathan Barr, with his ‘True Blood’, becomes the first guest to join the 2010 program.

International Film Music Festival ‘Ciudad de Úbeda’ announces the presence of composer Nathan Barr in its 6th edition, to be celebrated July 15-18, 2010. Besides taking part in the talks and conferences, the organisation and the composer are preparing a concert that will take place July 15: ‘True Blood: the Concert’. Not only will Nathan Barr include his popular music for the series but will arrange it specifically for the concert. The composer himself will be one of the players, on a night that will provide some surprises.

More news soon!

That's really good news! Barr's certainly one to watch in the coming years. Didn't I read somewhere that Barr played the majority of the instruments on the soundtrack to True Blood?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote

Wait and see wink But keep in mind that Giacchino and Doyle will be there again.

Bregt wrote

They are working on it and seems things are going well. Nothing official yet though.

CChristodoulides wrote
    Marcel, any official link on these first news?

The redesigned website in its english version will be up next week. The new web address is http://festival.bsospirit.com/
  3. I think of finally participating if money allows. Though I am saving for a camera, so I don't know yet.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    That would be great Pawel!

Getting the camera too biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The website looks much better than previous years. I just hope the English version is going to be translated better than before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

Wait and see wink But in mind that Giacchino and Doyle will be there again.

Well. You know more than us then. wink

Bregt wrote

They are working on it and seems things are going well. Nothing official yet though.

Cool! I hope this is an issue that is 'solved'. Definitely an important reason to go or not.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I just hope the English version is going to be translated better than before?

Working on it too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Bregt wrote

Cool! I hope this is an issue that is 'solved'. Definitely an important reason to go or not.

I hope to know more details sooner than later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    Another confirmed guest for Úbeda 2010: Dave Grusin.

Grusin will take part in all the activities of the festival, including the recital and the symphonic concert, in which we´ll listen a tribute to "The Goonies", as this year is the 25th anniversary of its release.

More news coming soon smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    When is the English version of the site going to launch? I hope I'm not missing out on getting decent seats for the concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    When is the English version of the site going to launch? I hope I'm not missing out on getting decent seats for the concert.

Don´t worry, the registration period just started today. I´ve been asking about the english version of the web, I´ll let it know once they answer. It shouldn´t take long though.

Are you planning to come again to Úbeda Anthony?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes most likely. Fancy getting us seats right next to each other?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Yes most likely. Fancy getting us seats right next to each other?

Sure! We might do the registration the same day, all of us who are planning to go? That would be great.

Oh, the english version of the site will be up on monday / tuesday smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Is there news about the transportation? That was going to be changed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not yet, I´ll let you know as soon as possible!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's a bitch getting there. Ubeda is in the middle of nowhere!

If a bus could take people from Madrid or Granada airport that would be a massive help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    If a bus could take people from Madrid or Granada airport that would be a massive help.

Let's cross our fingers.
  4. Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Let's cross our fingers.

That would make things a lot easier.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote

The english version of the site is already working.

Some of its content is still being translated and updated, although most of it is ready. Feel free to point out anything you like or you have a problem with, specially regarding the registration process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    Here's their latest press release.

The Úbeda International Film Music Festival is delighted to announce the attendance of the celebrated author of ‘The Goonies’ and ‘The Milagro Beanfield War’.

The Úbeda International Film Music Festival is expanding its footprint on and recognition among the international film music community thanks to the participation of esteemed composer Dave Grusin; winner of an Oscar for his score to ‘The Milagro Beanfield War’ (1988).

Dave Grusin has expressed his interest in lending his talent for most the activities of the festival, including the symphonic concert which will feature a tribute to the now classic 1985 Steven Spielberg production ‘The Goonies’, currently marking its 25th anniversary. Likewise, Dave Grusin’s renowned piano skills will elevate this year’s guest’s recital in what promises to be one of the most exciting performances the festival has had in its history.

Dave Grusin’s attendance is a sign of the growing importance of the Úbeda Festival which, in its 6th edition to be held between 14 and 18 July, will see the likes of Nathan Barr and Patrick Doyle further joining the event along with recently Academy Award-nominee and this year’s festival Honorary President Michael Giacchino.

Dave Grusin: the reputed composer

Dave Grusin’s career (Littleton, Colorado, 1934) as a musician is extremely brilliant not only as a film composer, but also in his condition as a prominent jazz artist; a feature ostensibly visible in some of his most acclaimed film scores such as ‘Mulholland Falls’ (1996) or ‘The Firm’. Along these same lines his music for the film ‘The Fabulous Baker Boys’ (1989) clearly stands out: the same score that earned him a Grammy award.

In addition to winning an Oscar for ‘The Milagro Beanfield War’, Dave Grusin has been further nominated to the Academy Awards five more times for such a varied range of films like ‘Heaven Can Wait’ (1978), ‘The Champ’ (1979), ‘On Golden Pond’ (1981), ‘Havana’ (1990) and ‘The Firm’ (1993), alongside achieving a Best Song nomination for It Might be You, the main title theme for the film ‘Tootsie’ (1982).

Dave Grusin received an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Colorado and the Berklee College of Music. His name is attached to a wide range of heterogeneous filmmakers, though it’s surely for his collaboration with director Sidney Pollack that Dave Grusin is best known. The two of them worked together on a total of 6 films including such popular classics as ‘The Yakuza’ (1974) or ‘Absence of Malice’ (1981).

It is the wish of the BSOSpirit Society and the Úbeda City Council, organisers of the Úbeda International Film Music Festival, to express their utmost gratitude to Dave Grusin for the interest he has shown in our event. The festival organizers promise to make sure to be an active part of ‘The Goonies’ 25th Anniversary Celebrations.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dave Grusin: the reputed composer

This is a rather amusing mistranslation. ("Reputed" means "alleged", it's not some kind of adjectival form of "repute".)