• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    ANTWONE FISHER | mychael danna

I found this one in a second hand store last week. I had heard the main theme once (Going to Cleveland) and I noticed gamelan orchestra in the credits, so that is obviously interesting. Quite a beautiful score in places but not always interesting enough (a bit too much under the surface now and then). But it breaths Danna all over it.

The piano theme with clarinet and flutes is lovely, and instantly likeable. The other more dramatic theme reinds me a bit of Ride with the Devil.

Good score, but not entirely convincing on the first listen.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009 edited
    Oh, that has been a favorite of mine for so many years...have you seen the movie? it makes so much more sense after that, and it's a really enjoyable listen for when feeling fragile, and a bit melancholic...the score is so beautifully esoteric at places, its soothing ambient can do wonders.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'll try to look up that movie then. Ambietn is indeed a better word. Dark too, mixed with some playful moments.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bear in mind it's not a great movie..but a rather interesting and touching at places, experience.
  1. Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

n.p. JAMES HORNER - Avatar

The main theme and its renditions are beautiful.

Yeap. But there are not enough renditions.

NP:Four Feathers (Horner)

Horner's best "ethnic" score., And one of my favourites from him.

The action stuff is agressive and sometimes heroic, the main theme (used in avatar) is really touching, specially in the sublime last track.

Agreed on all counts. I counted it as the best Horner I'd heard since LEGENDS OF THE FALL when I heard it in 2002.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote

Agreed on all counts. I counted it as the best Horner I'd heard since LEGENDS OF THE FALL when I heard it in 2002.

When I first heard the score (The Four Feathers) I was immediately turned off by all the "wailing and screaming." But a few years ago I was told by a close friend that I should give the score another shot! Glad I did. Excellent score, great theme with one killer action cue that was sadly chopped to shit in the film. Fantastic recording too by Simon Rhodes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Usually "wailing and screaming" turns me on - but certainly not in this case. Shame, it's such a fine score. sad
  2. LEGENDS has a bit of wailing too, although not nearly as much as FF, and it works better.
    I love THE MISSING too, among recent scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed it does, but the Four Feathers 'wailing' just sounds painful (which I'm sure is the point in the film, but it doesn't quite do it for me as an album).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    LEGENDS has a bit of wailing too, although not nearly as much as FF, and it works better.

The Missing and Four Feathers are amongst the few recent Horner scores I never listen to. Just never feel the need.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Usually "wailing and screaming" turns me on - but certainly not in this case. Shame, it's such a fine score. sad

Only in this case does it NOT turn you off? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    LEGENDS has a bit of wailing too, although not nearly as much as FF, and it works better.

oh no, not THE MISSING...it's nicht gut.
  3. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

The Missing and Four Feathers are amongst the few recent Horner scores I never listen to. Just never feel the need.

Well you hardly need to listen to FOUR FEATHERS now, since AVATAR is out.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

oh no, not THE MISSING...it's nicht gut.

Agreed, The Missing is the one Horner score I bought because it got good reviews, by Clemmensen in fact, I listened to it a few times, and sold it sometime later. The score was so unoriginal and ordinary I honestly didn't see why I should keep it any longer. My mind was already made up I'd never listen to it much (or at all).

Now The Four Feathers, that is a good one and is a definite keeper. 'The Mahdi': one of the best cues he's written this decade. Its buildup is stunning.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. I don't agree about THE MISSING, obviously. To me it has one of Horner's very best themes, and you hear him experimenting with the instrumental effects that would feature more prominently in APOCALYPTO (although there it wouldn't be centrered by such a strong theme).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Well you hardly need to listen to FOUR FEATHERS now, since AVATAR is out.

They may share a similar theme, but they're not really similar scores.

NP: Independence Day David Arnold

This is similar to neither. But it's really very good.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    I don't agree about THE MISSING, obviously. To me it has one of Horner's very best themes, and you hear him experimenting with the instrumental effects that would feature more prominently in APOCALYPTO (although there it wouldn't be centrered by such a strong theme).

Not a fan of Apocalypto on album either but granted its effect in the film is perfect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    NP: Independence Day David Arnold

This is similar to neither. But it's really very good.

My favorite score from 1996

NP: Revolution - John Corigliano

My first listen to this newly remastered score from Varese Sarabande. HOLY SHIT! shocked I'm hearing instrumentation that the stuffy, muffled boot kept hidden. This is a brilliant album (and score) containing a brilliant, vibrant, and dynamic recording.

Highlights include "War Lament" which applies thick layers of meaty orchestrations that I think Goldnethal lovers will very much enjoy. And there is the classically styled scherzo "Foxhunt" which is a lot of fun until the dark, tragic strings enter in at 3:40 and completely take the fun out of the piece. The scherzo of "Foxhunt" continues on a little while longer until the deep strings completely take over with soaring horns and hard hitting low brass! What a bizarre cue that takes an unforeseen yet totally fascinating change in direction and tone! And then there's the gorgeous "Children's Theme" wonderfully performed on solo flute. Aaaaah woodwinds!!! And of course there is a ton of atonal, dissonant music in the score as well... something Corgliano mastered in Altered States... "Forest Search: Attack" is a great example and boy is it a stunner!

All in all this is a classic score from a composer I would love to hear more from in the film genre. Too bad his score to Edge of Darkness was rejected. Hopefully, some day, that unused score will see the light of day! The film music world needs more music from Corigliano!

Top notch release, Varese! Well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Agreed, The Missing is the one Horner score I bought because it got good reviews, by Clemmensen in fact, I listened to it a few times, and sold it sometime later. The score was so unoriginal and ordinary I honestly didn't see why I should keep it any longer. My mind was already made up I'd never listen to it much (or at all).

Then you've missed out one fine score! I think the album suffers from being far too long since there's a lot of material there that just isn't needed. But if you edit it down to about 40-45 minutes of all the highlights, it makes for a very worthy listen.
  7. I agree, Steven. And at half an hour, it's one brilliant moment after another.

Erik Woods wrote

NP: Revolution - John Corigliano

My first listen to this newly remastered score from Varese Sarabande. HOLY SHIT! shocked I'm hearing instrumentation that the stuffy, muffled boot kept hidden. This is a brilliant album (and score) containing a brilliant, vibrant, and dynamic recording.

Highlights include "War Lament" which applies thick layers of meaty orchestrations that I think Goldnethal lovers will very much enjoy. And there is the classically styled scherzo "Foxhunt" which is a lot of fun until the dark, tragic strings enter in at 3:40 and completely take the fun out of the piece. The scherzo of "Foxhunt" continues on a little while longer until the deep strings completely take over with soaring horns and hard hitting low brass! What a bizarre cue that takes an unforeseen yet totally fascinating change in direction and tone! And then there's the gorgeous "Children's Theme" wonderfully performed on solo flute. Aaaaah woodwinds!!! And of course there is a ton of atonal, dissonant music in the score as well... something Corgliano mastered in Altered States... "Forest Search: Attack" is a great example and boy is it a stunner!

All in all this is a classic score from a composer I would love to hear more from in the film genre. Too bad his score to Edge of Darkness was rejected. Hopefully, some day, that unused score will see the light of day! The film music world needs more music from Corigliano!

Top notch release, Varese! Well done!

-Erik-

I can't wait to get this. Like you, I've been listening to a muddy boot for years. The whole 'foxhunt'/tragic strings counterpoint is one of the strongest and most beautiful moments I've ever heard in a score. Corigliano liked the strings so much that he reused it to blistering effect in his First Symphony.
  8. Bregt wrote
    ANTWONE FISHER | mychael danna

I do like this score a great deal!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

But you rated those with three stars (Four Feathers) and four and a half (The Missing)!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

But you rated those with three stars (Four Feathers) and four and a half (The Missing)!

Three sounds about right for FF. Whenever I do listen to The Missing I do quite like it - but if I were writing that today it wouldn't get such a rating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Three sounds about right for FF. Whenever I do listen to The Missing I do quite like it - but if I were writing that today it wouldn't get such a rating.

I´m in a Horner mood lately, so I´m revisiting some of his post 2000 works; this afternoon I´ve been re-reading your reviews for FF and The Missing while listening those works. That´s why I remember your ratings smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. Listening to "Innerspace" again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    And I'm obviously a racist.

Sunil.... where are you?

-Erik-

Probably spreading the good word against racism in Pakistan - or is that India? I dunno, it's all the same isn't it?

It used to be.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't agree about THE MISSING, obviously. To me it has one of Horner's very best themes, and you hear him experimenting with the instrumental effects that would feature more prominently in APOCALYPTO (although there it wouldn't be centrered by such a strong theme).

Not a fan of Apocalypto on album either but granted its effect in the film is perfect.

Agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - John Williams

I prefer this score over the original. So many excellent variations on the previously existing themes, great new themes & songs, stunning action material with excellent slap-stick mickey-mousing all wrap around the warmth of the classic Christmas tune "Somewhere in My Memory." The deluxe edition is a brilliant album. I never would have thought that this score would need expansion but I'm glad Varese saw it necessary to do so!

-Erik-

I completely agree. This is one of my favorite score of Maestro. I expect the same sort of release for HOOK (at least).
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Steven wrote
    And I'm obviously a racist.

At last, you figured out the truth about yourself. I am so glad for you. You are the man. applause bhangra fireworks biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Check out the 2009 score to "PUCCINI" composed by Marco Frisina (or Frisna?) if you liked Rombi. Pretty much on the same league of sweeping, string-led, thematic orchestral music.

Will do, thanks! smile