• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    OK, OK. Next question. Where's Mighty Joe Young in it? The Glory bit is obvious, ditto Apocalypto. The rest seems to be people clutching at straws to me. If you can find me a film composer (and I'll allow you to include dead ones) with 150+ scores under his belt who doesn't routinely repeat himself then I'll send him or her a voucher for a nice meal. (Though if he or she is dead, that might not be too useful.)
  1. The most obvious reference to an older Horner score by far is Apocalypto (the above mentioned Frog Darts), yet most people talk about the Glory and The Four Feathers stuff. Probably due to the fact that no one did ever listen to Apocalypto (which I think is a really great score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Four Feathers
    A Coward No Longer 7:59

War 1:03

Thanks. They're similar, but not the same (one is major and the other is minor, for a start). I'd never have noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out. There are more obvious bits of self-repetition in Avatar to my ears.

crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy
  2. Southall wrote
    OK, OK. Next question. Where's Mighty Joe Young in it? The Glory bit is obvious, ditto Apocalypto. The rest seems to be people clutching at straws to me. If you can find me a film composer (and I'll allow you to include dead ones) with 150+ scores under his belt who doesn't routinely repeat himself then I'll send him or her a voucher for a nice meal. (Though if he or she is dead, that might not be too useful.)

IMHO, it's mainly the percussion (listen to the bonus clip from the score's homepage "Into the Na'vi World").
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

The real question is if you notice the James newton Howard ryhtms and "might of rome" from Gladiator. tongue

The rest it's obvious. Every composer has his own style, and obviously they use sometimes similiar ideas----->irony.
  3. Southall wrote
    The Glory bit is obvious, ditto Apocalypto. The rest seems to be people clutching at straws to me.

You don't have to clutch with Horner much - he does it all for you. Some times he brings a whole new ballgame to a score, like in BEYOND BORDERS and CHUMSCRUBBER, and to some extent, APOCALYPTO (echoed here).
    But not here. And we haven't even gotten into the numerous other licks and motifs that pop up from other scores in the unreleased parts of AVATAR.

I was at a party tonight for NYE tonight, and casual film lovers who know next to nothing about film scores were talking about Horner repeating himself. If its that obvious to people who normally wouldn't notice - and yet it isn't a problem for so many other composers - I think we're kidding ourselves when we say that it's all right as long as it sounds good.

It's a beautifully spotted film, but he really didn't push himself here in sourcing his material.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. When it's Horner people often hear things they wouldn't hear if another composer's name stood on the front cover. At least one can enjoy reading Amazon customer reviews claiming Apocalypto sounding like Braveheart and Avatar sounding like Titanic.
  5. Antineutrino wrote
    When it's Horner people often hear things they wouldn't hear if another composer's name stood on the front cover.

On that note, I once chuckled on hearing one of Horner's 80s motifs in a Cliff Eidelman score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited
    Casual film goers pretty often claim things like that. I've heard colleague's talk that way about Thomas Newman ("beautiful, but always the same music") and John Williams as well - they love Zimmer, "especially Man on Fire".
  6. Oh don't worry... these guys knew what they were talking about. They don't live this stuff like we do, but they notice things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I want to talk about Sherlock Holmes!

What about the 18 minutes track, james??? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oh don't worry... these guys knew what they were talking about. They don't live this stuff like we do, but they notice things.

Can't really agree with this.

Yesterday I listened to a radio podcast from an "proper" German radio station usually reviewing classical music claiming Horner hasn't penned any memorable themes or melodies for Avatar. And of course everything was full of factual errors which not only film music fans like us would notice ("Legendary production problems" on Titanic's music?? Until now the world thought it was Aliens).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It depends on your definition of "memerable themes". Humming after the film memerable? Yeah, sure. Knowing it an hour later, or a few weeks after release of the film and all this has died down? Definitely not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

It's long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's long.

it's long, or it feels long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was at a party tonight for NYE tonight, and casual film lovers who know next to nothing about film scores were talking about Horner repeating himself. If its that obvious to people who normally wouldn't notice - and yet it isn't a problem for so many other composers - I think we're kidding ourselves when we say that it's all right as long as it sounds good.

They might notice the theme from Braveheart in Bicentennial Man, but if any "casual film lover who knows next to nothing about film scores" is seriously familiar enough with the music from Apocalypto or The Four Feathers that they notice it in Avatar, then my hat goes off to them. Most "civilians" who hate Horner do so for the same reason they hate Williams - because they don't want the music to be in the forefront.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's long.

Both. In fairness, it feels long because it is long. I believe it's 18 minutes long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's long.

Both. In fairness, it feels long because it is long. I believe it's 18 minutes long.

this is Vengeance. you are being cruel with me, because you know I'm right about the four feather's theme.

So if you feel bored with the 1/3 part of the score...why you like it?

(OH! the opening from Braveheard and the opening from Enemy at the gates is not note for note either tongue )
  7. Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri)

Now this gives me back so much more than Avatar ever will. Silvestri in super creative form. The template for the action music he would write from then on.

It's Been Educational / Clocktower FRIGGIN ROCKS and shows how 'War' should have been. punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

It's Been Educational / Clocktower FRIGGIN ROCKS and shows how 'War' should have been. punk punk punk

lol

Really? biggrin

I don't think 'Clocktower' would have worked all that well in Avatar!
  8. I await Erik and his editorial skills to mix that track into the sequence of the film. tongue

It wouldn't have worked for sure, but it's how I would've liked that cue to be in terms of excitement.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:A Coward No Longer from Four feathers

I love this MEGA End Credits suite from Horner.

I want one of these for AVATAR!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    I await Erik and his editorial skills to mix that track into the sequence of the film. tongue

It wouldn't have worked for sure, but it's how I would've liked that cue to be in terms of excitement.

Right, okay... dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : BACK TO THE FUTURE - Alan Silvestri

It finally came! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

It finally came! cool

it came many years ago....
  9. Anthony wrote

It finally came! cool

For all you know it's already been to the future and back many times. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Personally I'm glad he went back the FOUR FEATHERS. I love that theme. It deserved a wider audience. And thanks to the laziness of this composer, it now has it.

That´s a very original (and true) way to express it. Indeed, The Four Feathers score was underrated (for the general audience) due to the bland film it was used in.

Oh, and I´m late for the party, but it is the theme note by note.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

It finally came! cool

[insert bad pun]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My sides are splitting with laughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Personally I'm glad he went back the FOUR FEATHERS. I love that theme. It deserved a wider audience. And thanks to the laziness of this composer, it now has it.

That´s a very original (and true) way to express it. Indeed, The Four Feathers score was underrated (for the general audience) due to the bland film it was used in.

Oh, and I´m late for the party, but it is the theme note by note.

Agree.

the problem is Horner do that even (or specially) when the movies is succesful.

Anyway.....I have scoreorgasm listening the Four feather theme with chorus in the last 2 tracks of Avatar!

It's my Chrismas score! (Sorry Hans sad )