• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. CHEATER !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Practical Magic (rejected) (Michael Nyman)

Sigh, what might have been? Romantic comedy scoring with genuine intelligence!
    One of the themes came back later as a theme in THE CLAIM, but for the most part, the best of this score hasn't resurfaced in other Nyman works.

Better than Silvestri's score, I would say.

One assumes he didn't try to re-use any in his other rejected scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010
    I only got one +/- 6/8-minute track of that rejected score, which I love. Is there more of it out there?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AVATAR - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010 edited
    NP:Troy (Horner)

The 4 notes Danger motif here is really cool. I almot can dance it!!!! na na na naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....
    In this case, it's a highly dinamic variation...

The love theme ( Wich was composed for glory, then used in stargate and later in The Passion OF Christ) has a biblical sense wich is perfect for a "Roman" movie.

Achilles theme is one of the best themes of the past decade!

(Christmas 09 was a Horner Christmas, Dammed!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A "Roman" movie? D will be spinning in his head.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. BobdH wrote
    I only got one +/- 6/8-minute track of that rejected score, which I love. Is there more of it out there?

Yes. As always, you can see my site:

http://www.RejectedFilmScores.150m.com
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I Think what he meant was "sandal" movie(I guess that's a name of those type of movies). And btw The Love Theme from TROY wasn't composed for GLORY and definetely wasn't later used in Any of those Movies. Themes that has similar structur and maybe some notes but THE SAME THEME? seriously? Anyway You should listene to Ralph Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. All those themes are more or less SIMILAR to that one wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roy wrote
    I Think what he meant was "sandal" movie(I guess that's a name of those type of movies). And btw The Love Theme from TROY wasn't composed for GLORY and definetely wasn't later used in Any of those Movies. Themes that has similar structur and maybe some bars but THE SAME THEME? seriously? Anyway You should listene to Ralph Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. All those themes are more or less SIMILAR to that one wink

...and not a patch on it. RVW's Tallis Fantasia is a true work of genius, one of the two greatest pieces of music ever written.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    ...so which is the other One ? smile I bet You Think of Barber's Adagio For Strings...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roy wrote
    ...so which is the other One ? smile I bet You Think of Barber's Adagio For Strings...

Nope!

It's Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending cool
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I would Have problem to unambiguously Pick up 100's of greatest pieces of Music Ever Written cheesy
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    NP: Pagemaster - James Horner

Propably it's not the greatest Music ever Written but has great moments and The Pirates Theme is quite cool cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Those two are the 'gun against head, name them or else' pieces but if you asked me for a third pick I really wouldn't be able to say. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roy wrote
    NP: Pagemaster - James Horner

Propably it's not the greatest Music ever Written but has great moments and The Pirates Theme is quite cool cool

I like this too but I really don't play it enough.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    yeah that's the real problem...There's is so much great music to listen to and so little time to do that slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roy wrote
    yeah that's the real problem...There's is so much great music to listen to and so little time to do that slant

Looking at all the CD spines on my shelves, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

NP : DEADFALL - John Barry

Great score, from the sublime Shirley Bassey singing the strangely beautiful yet ethereal My Love Has Two Faces to the 14 minute brilliance of Romance For Guitar and Orchestra, one of those great scores that's too good for the film.
  4. BobdH wrote

There's a whole 70 minute 'promo'. The best track is the end credits, which might be the one you're talking about, although there are a couple of other cues available on the Michael Nyman 'best of' compilation to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010
    NP : MUSIC FOR A DARKENED THEATRE VOL. I - Danny Elfman

Excellent compilation, perfect for a non-Elfman fan like me who can only take the composer in ( with a few exceptions ) small doses. cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Bregje wrote
    Who will post the 2010th post here? smile

I just noticed because it said 2007 posts unread...

I never read this topic anymore!?

Good to see you here again!

NP Battlestar Gallactica season 4 Bear McCreary

This one comes back in the player often these days. Bregje, you would love the percussion in this one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH - John Powell

I don't know what my problem has been with it all these years, but strip away the odd weird cue and this is one of Powell's best. The 9 minute finale cue is fantastic (although the almost direct copy of it in Cody Banks is improved even further).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH - John Powell

I don't know what my problem has been with it all these years, but strip away the odd weird cue and this is one of Powell's best. The 9 minute finale cue is fantastic (although the almost direct copy of it in Cody Banks is improved even further).

Indeed. An underrated work, maybe because of the movie it was written for. It also took my time to appreciate it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : INSPECTOR GADGET - John Debney

Surprisingly good. The orchestra is energetic and has a really punchy recording to it. All the hopes for something similar in Iron Man 2 (but without aging electronics and irritating theme song).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE CAT RETURNS - Yuji Nomi & Ayano Tsuji

This is actually on TV right now, I'm not really interested in this Japanese anime but a lot of the music is very enjoyable and I've written this down in my little book of CD's to get.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

An absolute masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : RESIDENT EVIL 5 - WATARU HOKOYAMA cues

Say what you like about this guy, he NAILS the big John Williams sound and what a beefy recording! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

In film music very few composers come anywhere near close at choral writing to the sublime beauty of Delerue, quite simply, this is one of the most stunningly gorgeous scores ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    NP : RESIDENT EVIL 5 - WATARU HOKOYAMA cues

Say what you like about this guy, he NAILS the big John Williams sound and what a beefy recording! punk

Indeed! Amazing score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

After seeing the film again recently I realised just how much I enjoy it as long as I see it as just a fantasy and don't take it too seriously ( it contains a lot of innaccuracies ), I have no quibbles about the score though which is one of Horner's greatest, not much more to say about it really as I believe near enough everyone here has it or has heard it; I think it's BRILLIANT!
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Indeed cool Braveheart is One of at least Two oscar-worthy scores by Horner just from 1995 biggrin