• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    It's my Chrismas score! (Sorry Hans sad )

Oh I´m sure Hans will be devastated when he finds out.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP : BACK TO THE FUTURE - Alan Silvestri

It finally came! cool

[insert bad pun]

You said "insert." Huh huh huh huh...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Maturity is so overrated. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I want to talk about Sherlock Holmes!

What about the 18 minutes track, james??? tongue

It's long.

it's long, or it feels long?

Both. In fairness, it feels long because it is long. I believe it's 18 minutes long.

this is Vengeance. you are being cruel with me, because you know I'm right about the four feather's theme.

So if you feel bored with the 1/3 part of the score...why you like it?

confused When did I say I was bored with it? I only said it was long! Am I wrong? All I've ever said about Sherlock Holmes is that I quite like it, which I do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    confused When did I say I was bored with it? I only said it was long! Am I wrong? All I've ever said about Sherlock Holmes is that I quite like it, which I do!

James....not only does Jordi listen things that nobody else seems to listen but he also reads things that have never been written. You should already know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote

If you don't run around with your t-shirt over your head as you fire your 6 shooter into the air while shouting at the tops of your lungs, then in Jordi's eyes that must mean you hate it. Fanboys deal in absolutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

James....not only does Jordi listen things that nobody else seems to listen but he also reads things that have never been written. You should already know.

Nah! it's because I like read James saying "i like this Zimmer score"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Flying Circus from Rocketeer (James Horner)

That's the Horner I love!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    One of Horner´s masterpieces.
  1. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was at a party tonight for NYE tonight, and casual film lovers who know next to nothing about film scores were talking about Horner repeating himself. If its that obvious to people who normally wouldn't notice - and yet it isn't a problem for so many other composers - I think we're kidding ourselves when we say that it's all right as long as it sounds good.

They might notice the theme from Braveheart in Bicentennial Man, but if any "casual film lover who knows next to nothing about film scores" is seriously familiar enough with the music from Apocalypto or The Four Feathers that they notice it in Avatar, then my hat goes off to them. Most "civilians" who hate Horner do so for the same reason they hate Williams - because they don't want the music to be in the forefront.

Sorry, I should have clarified. They were talking about GLORY and those action licks from ALIENS and WRATH OF KHAN (pretty much their favourite films) showing up in AVATAR.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010
    OK. Even I noticed those. Happy New Year to one and all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nah....the only bad joke is you.

you are such a TROLL!

lol
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nah....the only bad joke is you.

you are such a TROLL!

lol

Yeah... hilarious! rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

But I should be happy to have a new Horner after so long.

Really? hmmm.... interesting. The moment you say you are happy to have new Horner, i couldn't control my laughter. New Horner? indeed, earlier he used to reuse his own material and on some occasion he would borrow from Classical Composers like Schumann, this is old Horner. Hey, this New Horner style is that he not only reuse his own material but also uses other modern composers' material. Yes, of course i am talking about the track called Gathering all the Na'vi Clans for battle is 40% rehash of the track called The Might of Rome from Gladiator by Hans Zimmer. Completely Shame! angry

Of course, Zimmer is also not exception in this case. He also randomly copied the Mars from The Planets by Gustav Holst, especially in Gladiator. I don't deny that. But i have never seen him copied other modern composers' music. At present, according to me, Zimmer is quite better composer than James Horner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010 edited
    NP : AERIAL ( A SEA OF HONEY ) - Kate Bush

Brilliant! Seriously BRILLIANT!

Nothing to do with film music whatsoever unless you count her collaborations with Michael Nyman & Michael kamen, mostly it's that I can't comment on 3 pages of NP thread since I was last here early on the 31st.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    POCAHONTAS - ALAN MENKEN

I like this animation score by Alan. Though its not great to me but i thoroughly enjoy this one. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett

Utterly brilliant! TV scoring does not get better than this. ( and neither does much film music )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Practical Magic (rejected) (Michael Nyman)

Sigh, what might have been? Romantic comedy scoring with genuine intelligence!
    One of the themes came back later as a theme in THE CLAIM, but for the most part, the best of this score hasn't resurfaced in other Nyman works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Happy new year and new decade!!!!!

I know it's not the most appropiate listen but...

NP:Apocalypto (Horner).

If some score deserves the high ratings that most of the reviewers gave to the last Horner scores, this is Apocalypto.

Forget The Missing, The New world, Fight Plan....

Apocalypto is one of the best score from Horner, it's one of the few times where he actually experimented and he really pushed hard his own limits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Apocalypto is one of the best score from Horner, it's one of the few times where he actually experimented and he really pushed hard his own limits.

I agree, but I´m not sure Horner keeps good memories of his experience on this film....
  3. Sunil wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

But I should be happy to have a new Horner after so long.

Really? hmmm.... interesting. The moment you say you are happy to have new Horner, i couldn't control my laughter. New Horner? indeed, earlier he used to reuse his own material and on some occasion he would borrow from Classical Composers like Schumann, this is old Horner. Hey, this New Horner style is that he not only reuse his own material but also uses other modern composers' material. Yes, of course i am talking about the track called Gathering all the Na'vi Clans for battle is 40% rehash of the track called The Might of Rome from Gladiator by Hans Zimmer. Completely Shame! angry

Of course, Zimmer is also not exception in this case. He also randomly copied the Mars from The Planets by Gustav Holst, especially in Gladiator. I don't deny that. But i have never seen him copied other modern composers' music. At present, according to me, Zimmer is quite better composer than James Horner.

It's still new because the CD wrapped in plastic told me it was new. rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lol
  4. Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP : BACK TO THE FUTURE - Alan Silvestri

It finally came! cool

[insert bad pun]

hey, I wanted to use that pun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Utterly brilliant! TV scoring does not get better than this. ( and neither does much film music )

In all honesty, I don't have this one. But I wonder, does any of it beat the moment -in terms of music- we see the dinos for the first time in Jurassic Park with Williams' theme in the background? (Of course, even if it doesn't, that's not to say I'm not extremely anxious to get this one! I'm just curious to hear what you think.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree, but I´m not sure Horner keeps good memories of his experience on this film....

Why not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Why not?

Ouch, my bad. I read "The New World" instead of "Apocalypto". Like you, I also read things that have not been written shame shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

In all honesty, I don't have this one. But I wonder, does any of it beat the moment -in terms of music- we see the dinos for the first time in Jurassic Park with Williams' theme in the background? (Of course, even if it doesn't, that's not to say I'm not extremely anxious to get this one! I'm just curious to hear what you think.)

It's not really comparable, both scores are two different beasts ( ha ha ), 'Walking With' IS Dinosaurs, Jurassic Park is taken from a human perspective marvelling at the return of such creatures. The nearest it comes to a grand Williams like moment is in the track Jurassic Titans which reaches a glorious crescendo for the arrival of a herd of Diplodocus which IMO is as good as anything Williams could have written. I honestly can't recommend it highly enough, if you like wonderous soundscapes, great melodies, some complex writing and some inventive orchestrations all wrapped up in an easily accessable listen then get this you must.

p.s. Walking With Beasts is the album to go for, it also contains three tracks from the one off show The Ballad of Big AL which contains the brilliant ( and Williams'ish ) Battle of The Salt Plains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Who will post the 2010th post here? smile

I just noticed because it said 2007 posts unread...

I never read this topic anymore!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Will.