• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    LOTR - The Two Towers & Return Of The King

The perfect accompaniment to waiting for Christmas dinner to cook.

Why? Are you eating at midnight? wink

We did the usual thing of going round to a neighbors to drink wine and chat nonsense to a bunch of people we hardly ever see. I actually said "see you next year" when I left. God knows who half of them even were. rolleyes dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

My second proper listen. I'm very surprised this has been called 'average'. It's fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    This morning I played John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER as I have done every Christmas day for the last 33 years ( except the few occasions where I spent Christmas abroad ), what can I say, a true genius of a score, brilliant!

NP : AMERICANS - John Barry

love WOW! It's been so long since I've heard this, and this new CD from Universal France brings out little details I barely noticed before, this work is going to get a lot more plays from me, it's truly brilliant and a great 'feel good' listen.

p.s. it's a jazz album Barry did in 1976, nothing to do with film scores.

I'm just so damned tempted to play AMERICANS straight thriough again but I'm going to save it for later.

In the meantime I'm going to play some more Barry brilliance and this one even has a Christmas flavour to it.

NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Sublime! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

My second proper listen. I'm very surprised this has been called 'average'. It's fantastic.

I have still yet to play it, this wil be remedied later ( we're off to Mel's mums for X-mas dinner soon and will be back this evening ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    LOTR - The Two Towers & Return Of The King

The perfect accompaniment to waiting for Christmas dinner to cook.

Why? Are you eating at midnight? wink

We did the usual thing of going round to a neighbors to drink wine and chat nonsense to a bunch of people we hardly ever see. I actually said "see you next year" when I left. God knows who half of them even were. rolleyes dizzy

biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I have still yet to play it, this wil be remedied later ( we're off to Mel's mums for X-mas dinner soon and will be back this evening ).

Hopefully with a bit of alcohol in you which will no doubt allow you to enjoy it more! (Not that that's needed of course. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of The great film scores IMO. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote

Agree, I'm loving it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I rate Avatar... and sing the rating using the 4 note danger motif... ready?

3 and a half staaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrs! Just above average but nothing more.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Dangerous Beauty - George Fenton

A very beautiful score by Mr.Fenton cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    The Four Feathers (James Horner)

One of his strongest of the decade IMO. I love the wailing female vocals which provides for plenty of emotional feedback during the score, especially during the brilliant track 'The Mahdi'. The overall sound is hardly original (typical post-2000 Horner) yet powerful and varied enough to keep interest all the way through the lengthy album. The themes are nice and make for great foundations for the many synthesized and orchestral layers the score has, with some gorgeous arrangements in 'The Letters'. The finale cue 'A Coward No Longer' gives me the biggest emotional wallop, ending an always satisfying listen.

Hoping Avatar (when I will finally listen to it outside the film) will be as good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

I love the wailing female vocals which provides for plenty of emotional feedback during the score, especially during the brilliant track 'The Mahdi'.

It's a dude.

So I'm racist and you're sexist? Huh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Well don't I look like the ignorant idiot now? shame

face-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mt

Thanks for straightening that out !!!! wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I rate Avatar... and sing the rating using the 4 note danger motif... ready?

3 and a half staaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrs! Just above average but nothing more.

-Erik-

biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

One excellent score on all fronts. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote

One of his strongest of the decade IMO.

I´m in a strong Horner mood lately and I´ve been revisiting some of his post 2000 works: The Perfect Storm, Four Feathers, The Missing, Enemy at the Gates, The New World, All the King's Men, etc.... we can criticise him as much as we want / like, but he is one of my favourite composers and one of the most talented.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Totally agree! THE FOUR FEATHERS Is Very strong Score and Great Music on it's Own. Khan's Voice is very uniqe and well for Me doesn't sound like orgasmic voice at all smile but whatever for whoever likes biggrin
  2. FOUR FEATHERS for president. Fine score!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

We do? shocked cool

Errr, Is this you being lateral Bregt or are you playing the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

I played the song and theme a few times today, since I was humming it over the past few days. What a theme and song! I totally love it, and it indeed has a Christmassy atmosphere.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm currently playing Playing By Heart by John Barry, one of my favourite albums from a true genius of melody. Everyone's loving it here!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Have you seen the film?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009 edited
    I didn't get to see it in the end. sad (Everything conspired against me on the day I was meant to, not least my immune system having impeccable timing by allowing me to have Man Flu. slant )

So.... next week, hopefully.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

We do? shocked cool

Errr, Is this you being lateral Bregt or are you playing the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

I played the song and theme a few times today, since I was humming it over the past few days. What a theme and song! I totally love it, and it indeed has a Christmassy atmosphere.

It does. It's also one of my all time favourite songs, a true evergreen that'll never lose it's lustre. I believe lyricist Hal David considered it his favourite song of all the ones he'd written, that's quite something when you consider how many classics he wrote with Burt Bacharach.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    This morning I played John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER as I have done every Christmas day for the last 33 years ( except the few occasions where I spent Christmas abroad ), what can I say, a true genius of a score, brilliant!

love WOW! It's been so long since I've heard this, and this new CD from Universal France brings out little details I barely noticed before, this work is going to get a lot more plays from me, it's truly brilliant and a great 'feel good' listen.

p.s. it's a jazz album Barry did in 1976, nothing to do with film scores.

Just sooooooo brilliant! punk I just had to play it again and if I posted this at 'Off Topic' barely anyone will notice. Easily in my top 10 releases this decade cool

Avatar is still going to have to wait, this is just too friggin excellent to stop playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince - Nicholas Hooper

I stopped following Potter movies since Order Of Phoenix, so I haven't heard any of Hooper's scores in context. At least nothing on this album grabbed my attention ... except one of the JW's themes on the track 1. (Was it from Prisoner Of Azkaban? I don't remember which)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Steven wrote

Yeah, but at least I haven't been banned.

Bam.

Of course, that's the truth, only innocent and victim like me will get ban. If you read my signature, you can understand better about this ugly world, my friend! This is how world works.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Steven wrote

Bam.

Of course, that's the truth, only innocent and victim like me will get ban.

*sips coffee* Pfffffffffft! What? Innocent! *cough cough plaaaaah cough cough*

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: The Promise - Klaus Badelt

One of his better (or best?) work, I think. ^^
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    A Christmas Carol (Alan Silvestri)
    It's Maybe To Dark and to Agressive for Christmas Eve dizzy But as for now It's Just Perfect smile For Sure It's One of His better Lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Steven wrote

Bam.

Of course, that's the truth, only innocent and victim like me will get ban.

*sips coffee* Pfffffffffft! What? Innocent! *cough cough plaaaaah cough cough*

-Erik-

Don't listen to him Erik. Hey, you wanna dress up as ghosts and go set light to a lower case t later on?