• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Why do people complain about a score then give it a high rating like 3.5!? 3.5 is still pretty bloody good!

IMO this is good. A 3.5 rate despite all the complaints is a really good rating. Besides, if the complaints are elaborated (I mean not only "this sucks", "this is not good", "this is wrong", etc) like Gilles´, Jordi´s, Pawel´s and the others it´s really interesting material.

It's not the fact that opinions aren't elaborated, and it's nothing to do with me agreeing or not agreeing: it's the fact that such a high rating is given after relatively negative opinions are expressed! Seems odd. dizzy

For me 3.5 is a worthy enough score but with only 1/3 of truly good moments. The remaining 2/3 is reasonable without ever coming close to the good.

And I didn't say Avatar was bad, I always compare to his other stuff and compared to Legend of Zorro or The Four Feathers (both of them 4 stars) it isn't as good IMO.

My ratings work as follow and I think this is the most logical:

* plain awful
    a little less awful
    ** bad to the point of being unmemorable
    **½ maybe one good cue, rest is substandard
    *** mediocre which means not good nor bad
    ***½ some pretty good moments, but with flaws
    **** good and memorable, worthy of many listens and enjoyment
    ****½ very good, a near-classic
    ***** excellent spine-tingling stuff
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote

tuff

dizzy

i think mediocre is less than "not good nor bad) tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the very definition of something that is mediocre is it not being good, nor bad, the basic middle ground. Nothing that impresses, but nothing that makes you feel like vomiting either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

My ratings work as follow and I think this is the most logical:

* plain awful
    a little less awful
    ** bad to the point of being unmemorable
    **½ maybe one good cue, rest is substandard
    ***½ some pretty good moments, but with flaws
    **** good and memorable, worthy of many listens and enjoyment
    ****½ very good, a near-classic
    ***** excellent spine-tingling stuff

Hmm, doesn't seem the most logical way to do it since many of the descriptions tend to cross over.

Even though I rarely rate my scores, I would have the ratings look like this (which in my not-so-humble opinion is far more logical):

1 - Terrible
    1.5 - Terrible with mediocre parts
    2 - Mediocre
    2.5 - Mediocre with good parts
    3 - Good
    3.5 - Good with excellent parts
    4 - Excellent
    4.5 - Excellent with classic parts
    5 - Classic

This is why I thought your 3.5 rating was a little odd after what you had said!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Agree with Steven ( and say this, it's one of the last things I wanted to do)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Indeed.

In fact, with that in mind, 3.5 is the rating I'd give Avatar too.
  2. You see, that's why you misunderstood. For me 2 stars is just bad, not totally FUBAR but very bland and uninteresting. Something you put on once and then never again. Mediocre is still a bit better than that. I still listen to a lot of 3 star scores, but not too often.

And what comes in the exact middle between excellent (5) and awful (1): mediocre (3).

So with all due respect, I'd like to think mine is more logical. wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

And what comes in the exact middle between excellent (5) and awful (1): mediocre (3).

Actually, that would be 2.5. (But then I guess we'd have 6 ratings to choose from: 0-5 dizzy )

So with all due respect, I'd like to think mine is more logical. wink tongue

It's not. But okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Indeed.

In fact, with that in mind, 3.5 is the rating I'd give Avatar too.

It's my rating too.

The Good:

-The "magic" stuff capturing Pandora's jungle. Mixing electronics and tribal elmements. GORGEOUS!
    -The electronic are the best integrated in horner career. Surpassing Apollo 13.
    -The "i see you" theme is addictive, and really captures the feeling of wonder.
    -The James Newton Howard elements.
    -The power Anthems in the last 2 tracks are punk punk
    -The Four Feathers theme reprised wich I really loved in...the Four Feathers....

The bad:
    -The copy of Four Feathers theme (we are not Idiots, Mr horner! )
    -4 notes danger motif over used.
    -Some action stuff disjointed and not powerful enough
    -Horner doesn't know how to compose laments for vocalists like Lisbeth scott.
    -The Childrens screaming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Where in Four Feathers is the Avatar theme? (Apologies if I'm stupid, but I listened to it yesterday and didn't hear it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Where in Four Feathers is the Avatar theme? (Apologies if I'm stupid, but I listened to it yesterday and didn't hear it.)

WHAT????????????? WHERE??????????? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

It's not there note for note, but it's hinted at. It's more reminiscent of the theme in my opinion. I'd have to listen to it again to be able to tell you which track, I honestly can't remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

It's not there note for note, but it's hinted at. It's more reminiscent of the theme in my opinion. I'd have to listen to it again to be able to tell you which track, I honestly can't remember.

Oh yes, it's there not for note. NOTE FOR NOTE.

Listen the last track from Four Featers or the track "dance" (I think, where is played with synth and piano) , and then listen from Avatar, for example, the "navi Clans for the battle" after the crazy (gladiator like) Vocals. The four feather theme is used as the heroic theme for the navi's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes. I don't really want to listen to the Four Feathers all the way through again trying to find it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    is there not for note. yes, it is.

Nah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes. I don't really want to listen to the Four Feathers all the way through again trying to find it.

The Four Feathers
    A Coward No Longer 7:59

War 1:03

There are probably better examples somewhere in these scores. Also can't see any so special about this. In the movie I think this is the theme for the Na'vi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then my point has just been proven: it is quite clearly not note-for-note. Quite similar, yes... but not the same. (And it doesn't even last that long, meaning it's only reminiscent of part of the Four Feathers theme.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Then my point has just been proven: it is quite clearly not note-for-note. Quite similar, yes... but not the same.

Yes, there is note for note.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're hearing things then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    You're hearing things then.

But I'm not the only one. Because there are 2 reviewers and, at least 2 users, who hears the same.

it's our sixth sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a riff on a segment of the same theme. But a riff nonetheless and not the same. Therefore, you're wrong.
  3. Horner does his old trick of changing the last two notes of the theme - or rather, changing the way the tail phrase is performed would be a more accurate description. (He did this with the wedding theme from BRAVEHEART when it became the wedding theme of BICENTENNIAL MAN.) But it's the same theme all right. I don't know if Jordi has picked the right variations of the theme to compare, but there's both fire and smoke here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Horner does his old trick of changing the last two notes of the theme. (He did this with the wedding theme from BRAVEHEART when it became the wedding theme of BICENTENNIAL MAN.)

^ This is an example of someone being correct. ^

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    But it's the same theme all right. I don't know if Jordi has picked the right variations of the theme to compare, but there's both fire and smoke here.

As I said, it's a riff. So yeah, I agree it is pretty much the same theme - very similar in fact, but not note for note.

What a boring and nerdy discussion though! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    franz_conrad wrote
    Horner does his old trick of changing the last two notes of the theme - or rather, changing the way the tail phrase is performed would be a more accurate description. (He did this with the wedding theme from BRAVEHEART when it became the wedding theme of BICENTENNIAL MAN.) But it's the same theme all right. I don't know if Jordi has picked the right variations of the theme to compare, but there's both fire and smoke here.

Yes there's a bit of fire, but not a very big one. Jordi's comments could make someone think it's an Australian bush fire. wink

Typical film music nerd discussion. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Everything's a bush fire with Jordi. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill! (Or in Jordi's case, an entire continent out of a lump of earth.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Four Feathers

Thanks. They're similar, but not the same (one is major and the other is minor, for a start). I'd never have noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out. There are more obvious bits of self-repetition in Avatar to my ears.
  4. Southall wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Four Feathers

Thanks. They're similar, but not the same (one is major and the other is minor, for a start). I'd never have noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out. There are more obvious bits of self-repetition in Avatar to my ears.

True, especially from Apocalypto (Frog Darts).
  5. Of course, you put in the context of the four note motif, the Glory stuff, the Mighty Joe Young stuff, and the score as a whole looks less and less like a demanding tour de force from its author. wink

Personally I'm glad he went back the FOUR FEATHERS. I love that theme. It deserved a wider audience. And thanks to the laziness of this composer, it now has it. I just wish I loved all the things he went back to as much.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am