• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    A fruity one of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. In the words of the Fuhrer, anyone who hasn't seen Pirhana 2, leave the room.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's exactly what he said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've heard that he only became racist after someone accused him of being a troll! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote

Would you call The Lord of the Rings weird?

Oh! man, you should never ever compare Lord of the Rings with Cameron's Avatar. LOTR had great storyline and characters. But Avatar just sucks. The theatrical trailer of Avatar just boring, and it is not as impressive as 2012. When i saw the 2012 trailer, it just dragged me into theater but after watching Avatar trailer, what the hell??????.

I personally don't care about the advance technologies that Cameron have used in this movie. All i care about good story telling. First of all, script itself is not interesting. It contains lot of cliches. I have seen and read those kind of stories million times in my country itself. I just asked a question to myself, am i going to watch another Star Wars saga?

I know that its too early to judge about a movie, but i could recollect something exactly one and half years ago i watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull theatrical trailer. So, i was not happy and disappointed with trailer. However, i placed my all faith on Steven Spielberg ( who is my all time favorite director) that he would never disappoint me. Eventually, all my expectation was gone in vain. I seriously can't understand what is happening to big directors like Cameron and Spielberg?

Honestly speaking, i am huge fan of James Cameron, i have seen his movies many times. But i am not at happy with the presentation of Avartar trailer. However, i should wait for another two weeks. And let me see whether my expectation are gone in vain or not? or my wild guess would be correct or not?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Never reallty thought about it before but it seems that Cameron is my favorite director. Here are my imdb ratings of some of his movies:

The Terminator 9/10
    Aliens 10/10
    The Abyss 9/10
    Terminator 2 9/10
    True lies 8/10
    Titanic 7/10

Pretty high average. I'm sure "Avatar" will be in the 7-8 range.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    And that's not weird. It's called a fantasy adventure romantic epic.

Would you call The Lord of the Rings weird?

Small men with hairy feet who journey to a volcano to destroy a piece of magical jewelry so a big, evil eye consisting of fire won't take over the world, is not weird? Of course it's weird.

I love weird.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    Never reallty thought about it before but it seems that Cameron is my favorite director.
    Peter punk

Whoah! Have you tallied the numbers for Peppino or Sergio? Perhaps not wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    Whoah! Have you tallied the numbers for Peppino or Sergio? Perhaps not wink

Ahh, yes, good point about Sergio. smile I've no idea who Peppino is. shame

A fistful of dollars 7/10
    For a few dollars more 10/10
    The good, the bad and the ugly 10/10
    Once upon a time in the west 10/10
    Duck, you sucker 8/10
    Once upon a time in America 9/10

Better average than Cameron, who's hereby demoted to a second place.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    plindboe wrote

Titanic 7/10

What??? just 7/10?

Peter punk

I expect so. But it seems to me that it would be around 4-5 range. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    plindboe wrote

Small men with hairy feet who journey to a volcano to destroy a piece of magical jewelry so a big, evil eye consisting of fire won't take over the world, is not weird? Of course it's weird.

I love weird.

Peter punk

I like your reply. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    plindboe wrote

Peter punk

Sunil wrote
    I expect so. But it seems to me that it would be around 4-5 range. wink

So you saw it already? Well excuse me while I wait for passing judgment until I've seen it. rolleyes

And let me state my fave Cameron films, in the order I like em best, though I love them all. Except his first one maybe, but then I don't recall I've ever seen it.

Aliens: My favourite film ever, I've seen it a huge amount of times and every time I'm as excited as the first time. Mrs. Weaver is the true action heroine.
    Terminator 2: totally brilliant action and loveable characters in an apocalyptic story, with Arnie in his best role.
    Titanic: seriously I cannot find any fault with this doom laden romantic story, the entire sinking is just one the best filmed and edited sequences I've ever seen).
    The Abyss: much adored, great Silvestri score, some truly nailbiting moments and for me at least a wonderful ending.
    The Terminator: less viewed than part 2, but this is where the legend began and the whole concept is gripping and masterfully shot.
    True Lies: this is totally fun, just Cameron wanting to make a lighter film (only in tone, not in the technical department). The big action sequence at the end remains a true thrill ride.

And behind those are his two documentaries which I wouldn't even categorize with his other films, but they're pretty good for what they are.

Ghosts of the Abyss
    Aliens of the Deep
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I'd put T 2 and Titanic below True Lies. I still haven't seen part one and I don't remember Abyss. I am thinking of getting it (and Titanic) on DVD, but not until I learn whether it is the theatrical or director cut.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Hmm, no. I don't prefer Titanic to Aliens dizzy

Whatever
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't care what anyone says, Titanic is a great film!
  4. Titanic is a great film after the iceberg, the love story is a bit cliche to me and I really hate the shot which sends DiCaprio down the water. Cameron took the most kitschy possibility there. But yes, it's well made and well versed in the culture of the era.
  5. Well the love story is needed to set up the characters, so you get to feel their emotions during the second half of the film. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kitschy is the right word, spot-on Pawel! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    1) Aliens - My most watched movie, and the best scifi action thriller of all time.
    2) The Terminator - Pure genius from the beginning to the end. This is how legends are made.
    3) The Abyss - The first time, I saw this on the biggest screen in town, and I could feel the water dripping everywhere. This was a directing nightmare, and it´s amazing how well he pulled it off. This movie tries to be a lot at once, and succeeds on most, but not all levels.
    4) Titanic - The movie´s love story would have blown every critic away if Jim had chosen different actors, but Kate Whinesalot and Leo do their best, and I believe their characters falling in love. It just doesn´t interest me. Give me an actually adorable chick and a real guy to love her, and you will see me nailbiting during this. The sinking is probably - indeed - worth every dollar they earned with this movie.
    5) Terminator 2 - I wasn´t blown away by it when it came out, and I still have my problems with it. But it was a lot better than most stuff that was out there when this appeared, and it is still immensely watchable.
    6) True Lies - Beside the crappy family story, this movie rocked hard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ghosts of the Abyss
    Aliens of the Deep

GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is an excellent, totally mezmerizing documentary about the TITANIC. It triggers a whole other set of associations to see the REAL footage of the wreckage, far more than the fictional film can ever hope to do. You see a chair or a shoe or something and think that there were actual PEOPLE who used that and that are now completely dissolved in the water.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Hell yes, The Abyss, I read all (every single page !!!) of the extensive production notes on the R1 DVD. Easy to forget when you see it in its final form, but the making of The Abyss was anything but easy. I can't recall exactly what but the problems were many. It's a testament to the director's vision and stubbornness the movie didn't fall apart under its own weight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hell yes, The Abyss, I read all (every single page !!!) of the extensive production notes on the R1 DVD. Easy to forget when you see it in its final form, but the making of The Abyss was anything but easy. I can't recall exactly what but the problems were many. It's a testament to the director's vision and stubbornness the movie didn't fall apart under its own weight.

I was talking about the documentary GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS, not the film THE ABYSS. But perhaps you weren't responding to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ghosts of the Abyss
    Aliens of the Deep

GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is an excellent, totally mezmerizing documentary about the TITANIC. It triggers a whole other set of associations to see the REAL footage of the wreckage, far more than the fictional film can ever hope to do. You see a chair or a shoe or something and think that there were actual PEOPLE who used that and that are now completely dissolved in the water.

Must've been a humbling experience for Cameron and the rest of the crew to actually be that close to the wreck. And I always shiver when that moment comes from the 9-11 attacks. While that happened I sure as hell wasn't diving for legendary ship wrecks, but I recall clearly what I was doing, something utterly mundane.
  8. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hell yes, The Abyss, I read all (every single page !!!) of the extensive production notes on the R1 DVD. Easy to forget when you see it in its final form, but the making of The Abyss was anything but easy. I can't recall exactly what but the problems were many. It's a testament to the director's vision and stubbornness the movie didn't fall apart under its own weight.

I was talking about the documentary GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS, not the film THE ABYSS. But perhaps you weren't responding to me.

That's right. wink
  9. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I've read about things the crew was saying" Son of Abyss and Life's Abyss and Then You Have to Dive
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    So you saw it already? Well excuse me while I wait for passing judgment until I've seen it. rolleyes

No judgement here. Just certain expectations based on the trailer.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Titanic is a great film after the iceberg, the love story is a bit cliche to me and I really hate the shot which sends DiCaprio down the water. Cameron took the most kitschy possibility there.

That scene made me cry. Yes, I know I should feel ashamed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    Ahh, yes, good point about Sergio. smile I've no idea who Peppino is. shame

Peppino = Giuseppe Tornatore

Better average than Cameron, who's hereby demoted to a second place.

Now that's better! punk
  10. plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

No judgement here. Just certain expectations based on the trailer.

I was quoting Sunil who is already saying the movie will be mediocre. He must have been at a private screening then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well the love story is needed to set up the characters, so you get to feel their emotions during the second half of the film. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I would.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn