• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Jordi isn't a midget is he, y'know, like James Horner? shocked wink

No, he's very tall, about 1.25 metres I believe. And yet he doesn't like John Powell's second best animated score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Much taller than Mussolini then?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Who IS taller....Danny DeVito or James Horner?

The public have a right to know.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    Actually Nautilus is exactly half way between Adolf Hitler (0.1 metres) and Charles Darwin (2.4 metres) which I find to be truly alarming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Actually Nautilus is exactly half way between Adolf Hitler (0.1 metres) and Charles Darwin (2.4 metres) which I find to be truly alarming.

I said this kind of thing once, and I was banned.

What is Powell's second best animated score?¿
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm, one attempting to create a master race by splicing old ideas and the other a big statue in the London Natural History Museum....I see what you mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

I thought you were banned for frequent use of an extremely offensive, racist word? Or was this some other ban?

Powell's second best animated score is clearly Robots. (Third is clearly Bolt.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

I thought you were banned for frequent use of an extremely offensive, racist word? Or was this some other ban?

Powell's second best animated score is clearly Robots. (Third is clearly Bolt.)

Marselus will explain to you why I was banned .

I didn't say I don't like Robots, I said it's one of the less powell animated scores I like it. Wich is quite diferent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's enough for me to say you are no longer my fifth favourite contributor to this board. You have gone down to sixth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    It's enough for me to say you are no longer my fifth favourite contributor to this board. You have gone down to sixth.

Oh, I have enough if I'm in the top ten. in fact, I'm more worried about people who feels indiference about me. tongue If you hate me, it's ok too.

Who are the MainTitle's 6? (Giacchino theme is played in the background)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Main Titles 6

Is there a campaign to release them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    We are very creative lately with new threads. Must be the spring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me (Angelo Badalamenti)

Wow, 'Questions In a World of Blue' is one of the most hypnotic songs I´ve ever listened. As Jordi would say, it transports you (and talking about Twin Peaks, this definition is pretty accurate).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished watching a fabulous documentary called Music for the Movies: The Hollywood Sound featuring performance of Golden Age classics such as The Adventures of Robin Hood, Laura, The Song of Bernadette, The Red River and many, many others. Host and narrator John Mauceri conducts the BBC National Orchestra of Wales with interviews of David Raksin, Fred Steiner and performers of the original scores. This is a 90 minute gem describing the process of scoring in the Golden Age from spotting to recording and some of the new performances are actually conducted - passionately - to picture. Seeing Errol Flynn dash on screen to a modern recording of "Duel, Victory, And Epilogue" from The Adventures of Robin Hood is thrilling. Or Raksin's brilliant romantic and mysterious opening music from Laura. An eye opening experience. Now, I'm probably biased but I've been listening and collecting film music since 1993 but I honestly feel that the best music produced out of any era came from Hollywood's Golden Age.

Anyway, I'm now inspired to listen to some of these but where do I start...

Well, I'm going to begin with Kojian's recording of The Adventures of Robin Hood. 45 minutes is good enough for today. I'll then move onto a 27 minute suite from Laura and then I'll re-introduce myself to Newman's The Song of Bernadette.

Bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Innerspace (JERRY)

God I love this LLL album, it's just as enjoyable as browsing through Steven's babe topic. beer

The album isn't too long for me... in fact it can go on forever just like Steven's babe topic. punk

Didn't Jerry write the sweetest love theme? I would say it's just as sweet as Steven's ................ That's quite enough of that, DT.

Edit: Oh sorry, almighty mod-man. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I feel like the MainTitles pimp.

That's not a complaint.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now that I am Timmer 'Year Zero' I can only play...

NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Excellent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Fun score for sure but there is something bothering me about the sound of the score. I don't know if it's how Shawn Murphy recorded the live orchestra or whether there are over dubs of synth ochestra over the live players but the organic sound of a live orchestra is missing. It's sounds incredibly thin like a lot of Zimmer's synthy action scores. Murphy has done some great work with Powell in the past but there is something left to be desired with this recording that is sucking some of the fun out of the listening experience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. ALIENS (Horner)

Combat Drop is the single most awesome unused Horner-composed cue I've ever heard. But I admit it wouldn't have worked for the scene in the film. That being said, Aliens has some long instances of seemingly uninteresting atmosphere music. But they are absolutely essential to build up to the completely kickass second half of the score, which has action aplenty, and some of Horner's finest writing to date: Ripley's Rescue, Facehuggers, Futile Escape, Going After Newt, Bishop's Countdown, Queen to Bishop: all riveting stuff, the kind which just isn't written anymore. The recording is brilliant, because this stands for sheer orchestral power.

By the way, I'm playing this LOUD AS A MOTHERF__K !!!! I'm sure you all understand. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I DO! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Fun score for sure but there is something bothering me about the sound of the score. I don't know if it's how Shawn Murphy recorded the live orchestra or whether there are over dubs of synth ochestra over the live players but the organic sound of a live orchestra is missing. It's sounds incredibly thin like a lot of Zimmer's synthy action scores. Murphy has done some great work with Powell in the past but there is something left to be desired with this recording that is sucking some of the fun out of the listening experience.

-Erik-

Ok. We have a mini-review about the recording...AND ABOUT THE SCORE?????
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok. We have a mini-review about the recording...AND ABOUT THE SCORE?????

It's a fun score. I have to give it another listen because it didn't instantly capture my attention. I was really annoyed at the recording and the odd sound of the fake sounding orchestra. Like I said took me completely out of the listening experience.

NP: Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams

First listen in a looooooooooooog time. Engaging!

-Erik-
  2. Bishop's Countdown !!!!

When my life is slowly dwindling down to nothingness, this should be playing in the background. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

I'm off out in a little while but enough time to play this superb little suite from his album Three Decades of TV Themes, television music at it's most sublime. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's a fun score. I have to give it another listen because it didn't instantly capture my attention. I was really annoyed at the recording and the odd sound of the fake sounding orchestra. Like I said took me completely out of the listening experience.

It's the brass. It sounds, for lack of a better term - squeaky. The same as his older scores like Evolution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

I'm off out in a little while but enough time to play this superb little suite from his album Three Decades of TV Themes, television music at it's most sublime. cool

Cool ! I didn't know this was available so I did a search for it .
    I see it's available at Play & Amazon as MP3 downloads , but that's only for UK or US customers ...
    Damn ! sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    Iris - James Horner

Something like this is very suitable for a rainy day, staying home with a slight cold.

btw I have a copy of Japanese edition and almost all of the booklet is about Joshua Bell and mentioned only briefly about the composer rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Hmmmm. First listen, and it's all rather grand and bold, but not very interesting. Looking forward to the last tracks actually, since these got a lot of praise here; I hope it doesn't disappoints me as much as the first listen so far. shame
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Hmmmm. First listen, and it's all rather grand and bold, but not very interesting. Looking forward to the last tracks actually, since these got a lot of praise here; I hope it doesn't disappoints me as much as the first listen so far. shame

Finally, someone with taste.