• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    It doesn't take a PhD in album producing to make a playlist you enjoy from an overly-lengthy album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    Steven wrote
    It doesn't take a PhD in album producing to make a playlist you enjoy from an overly-lengthy album.

No, but if it's an 80 minute album with 30 minutes of decent music (hello, Brian Tyler) then just how many chunks of 80 minutes are you going to have to give up in order to work out that playlist? Too many, so it doesn't get done, so the 80 minute album may as well be in the bin. If they just produced a proper album in the first place, it would get listened to.

Anyway...

How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I thought this was going to be a big disappoinment after the first few tracks, but it picked up considerably and became rather enjoyable.
  1. Southall wrote
    ...hello, Brian Tyler...

I thought that Tyler had just popped in for a visit at Chez James!

NP: "Navras" - The Matrix Revolutions - Don Davis

A great driving track. It should really feature in at least one "Top Gear" driving compilation!

punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I thought this was going to be a big disappoinment after the first few tracks, but it picked up considerably and became rather enjoyable.

I think the main themes, and the celtic elements are sublime. I can't understand why is having a mixed reaction in this forum.

there are so many highlights that I have to reapeat again and again some tracks because I can't beliveve what i'm listening. from track 8 to the end this scores is a real killer.

can you tell me what are your favourites 5 powell animated scores, james?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Hmmmm. First listen, and it's all rather grand and bold, but not very interesting. Looking forward to the last tracks actually, since these got a lot of praise here; I hope it doesn't disappoints me as much as the first listen so far. shame

As the others said: have another listen! At my first listen, I thought it was just one crescendo after the next. Later listens revealed the beauty, though, almost miraculously. Really didn't expect that after the first listen. It's really a lot more thematic and tender than you now may think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote

A great driving track. It should really feature in at least one "Top Gear" driving compilation!

punk

What about Mona Lisa Overdrive from Reloaded? :p
  2. BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

punk

What about Mona Lisa Overdrive from Reloaded? :p

Yep. That one too! But I'd put "Navras" as the opening just to grab the listener.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's the problem nowadays: overlong score releases. Goldsmith knew what he was talking about to only compile 30 - 45 minute albums. Though regularly I have found that just isn't enough, depending on the core material.

He did. But the thing with Goldsmith is his scores were so good, lengthy releases were often a plus. He just underestimated just how good his scores were.

FACT!

...I mean TRUE!

...yeah, FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" (David Newman)

One of Newman's best. Less than 100 copies left at Intrada, if any of you have been putting it off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" (David Newman)

One of Newman's best. Less than 100 copies left at Intrada, if any of you have been putting it off.

I'm surprised there are still copies left? A most excellent score indeed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    can you tell me what are your favourites 5 powell animated scores, james?

Happy Feet, Robots, Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, Chicken Run
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Happy Feet? Really?
    I always found that one rather lacking, but I've not seen the movie. Maybe that helped the score along? (Heh, only a soundtrack fan would say something like that. wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

I watched the movie recently and appreciate this score more than before, though some scenes could be better without music.

Now I even like those "yeahhhh" yells on Red Warrior, which used to sound funny for me. But still more than 3 yeaaahs are too much tongue

But still this is one of my favorites! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote

Now I even like those "yeahhhh" yells on Red Warrior, which used to sound funny for me. But still more than 3 yeaaahs are too much tongue

There is a Director's cut with 2 yeaaaahs. tongue

NP: WaterHorse Legend of the deep (Newton Howard)

How I said, I didn't like Scottish or Celtic music until I go to Scotland. Now it reminds me to this AWESOME landscapes.

Every travel needs his music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Miya wrote

I watched the movie recently and appreciate this score more than before, though some scenes could be better without music.

But still this is one of my favorites! smile

It's been too long since I listened to this one! Thanks! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: WaterHorse Legend of the deep (Newton Howard)

How I said, I didn't like Scottish or Celtic music until I go to Scotland. Now it reminds me to this AWESOME landscapes.

Every travel needs his music!

I like this one too and it was on my travel-disc two years ago.

Today I listened to the Merchant of Venice. I think it's music to listen to with the door open.
    I'm glad it's spring.
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with The Song of Bernadette by Alfred Newman and I'm not sure if was in the right mood or not for this one but my God was this score an utter snoozer. A few standout cues but overall the complete score down right bored me silly.

NP: Captain From Castile - Alfred Newman

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah Booooooooooooooooooy! This is what I'm talking about. A true classic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Today I listened to the Merchant of Venice. I think it's music to listen to with the door open.
    I'm glad it's spring.
    spin

I love that one! Been too long since I listened to that! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah Booooooooooooooooooy! This is what I'm talking about. A true classic!

Which version are you listening to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Which version are you listening to?

SAE's brilliant 2CD set. The only version people should be listening to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I don't necessarily agree: I think the two-part symphonic suite on LP (later available on CD, distributed by Delos) is an absolute cracker! While the SAE release (obviously) contains more music (and I do like the "Spain" part very well), it's more uneven in sound quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Angela's Ashes - John Williams

Gentle and incredibly soothing orchestral material, love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, I don't necessarily agree: I think the two-part symphonic suite on LP (later available on CD, distributed by Delos) is an absolute cracker! While the SAE release (obviously) contains more music (and I do like the "Spain" part very well), it's more uneven in sound quality.

I'm not familiar with the symphonic suite but what Ray Faiola and his team did with this was nothing short of a miracle. This is a score that works brilliantly in its complete form and the sound is great for it's time... and it was recorded in stereo! And there is more to the SAE release than the music. The booklet (as with all SAE projects) is outstanding. First rate production values and excellent essays from leading film music journalists and film historians. But I will make an attempt to acquire the symphonic suite.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're quite right: these are all major benefits.
    Especially the documentation in the booklet is magnificent!

I recommend the symphonic suite. It's a beautiful and wonderfully coherent listen BUT unfortunately...it's in mono. So be prepared for that. That said, it's going dead cheap these days, due to the more popular SAE release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Sabrina - John Williams

The theme is absolutely gorgeous. I do enjoy this rather low-key breezy jazzy romantic style from John. Any other scores of his that I should consider? Keyword: romantic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Star Wa...oh...sorry. Never mind. shame

You might give Rosewood a chance?
  4. The Red Canvas (James Peterson)

Kicks major ass on the thematic front, but somehow I think the album quality isn't up to scratch. With a better recording / mixing (I honestly don't know which one would make the sound better, I'm not knowledgeable on that), this score would be even more awesome. Musically there's absolutely nothing wrong with The Red Canvas, this is bold and epic action scoring with a softer yet memorable and haunting secondary theme. 'Ballet For Brawlers' is one of the most exciting cues I've heard in recent years. punk

The Moving Images tacked on at the end has some lovely material as well. From a man with incredible talent, that much is certain.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    Star Wa...oh...sorry. Never mind. shame

You might give Rosewood a chance?

I might, though the topic of that movie doesn't seem to give way to a romantic score, yeah?
  5. In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

Man it's been years since my last listen. How my thoughts on this one have changed. I've always liked Goldenthal's dissonant style, but this must be one of his weirdest and inaccessible scores he ever did, but I mean that in a good way. I wasn't much a fan of this in particular but as the years go by it shows how I grow accustomed to certain music styles. The music's all over the place, yet innovative in structure and the overall soundscape he created is mindblowing to say the least. The distorted saxophone adds so much to the atmosphere, I think it should be a trademark instrument in every Goldenthal score. I really like the melody that is first heard in 'The Pull of Red'. The more dissonant stuff isn't for everyone, but then I'm hardly everyone. 'Rebecca's Abduction' shows Goldenthal at his most impressive, and the melody in it brings back good memories of the stunning Alien 3. 'While We Sleep' on the other hand has something in common with Heat. And can I just say that the song at the end is something of a small masterpiece as well.

I may not return to it on a yearly basis, but on my next listen somewhere in the next decade I'm sure I'll like it even more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Up Close & Personal - Thomas Newman

This was a pleasant surprise. Probably as straightforward as you can get for a Newman score, but just as beautiful as Meet Joe Black and Lemony Snicket. The romance theme, also the title track, is THE definition of a bittersweet love theme.