• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    But How to train a Dragon has a LOT of passion and beauty. And the main theme is another winner from powell.

Brilliant score. It is better and better with every new listen. Great job (again).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

cool

One of my all time favourites scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    But How to train a Dragon has a LOT of passion and beauty. And the main theme is another winner from powell.

Brilliant score. It is better and better with every new listen. Great job (again).

I really can't choose between one powell animation score or other Powell animation score. Every of them is diferent...

Probably Ice Age 2 and 3 are the less interesting of the bunch, but all the other scores, has something gorgeous to offer...

Robots: Original percusive elements. And 30's band oriented.
    Happy Feet: Dramatic (Fun food storm, Alien ships)
    Horton : Weird (we are here, Jojo saves the day)
    Bolt: The animated version of Paycheck dizzy
    Dragon: BIG and irish influenced ( See you tomorrow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon John Powell

Has some nice moments, all sounds very Powelly... but it's not his strongest score.

Everytime a Powell score comes out, some people declare it its best. For a month or so, and then the next one comes along wink

It's not a bad addition to Powell's résumé, and as a 40 minute playlist it's really pleasant with a typically upbeat, catchy Powell theme. But it feels more like something to tide us Powell fans by until the next 'great' Powell score comes along...well, I hope so anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

A classic score for a classic film, I love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Has some nice moments, all sounds very Powelly... but it's not his strongest score.

Everytime a Powell score comes out, some people declare it its best. For a month or so, and then the next one comes along wink

It's not a bad addition to Powell's résumé, and as a 40 minute playlist it's really pleasant with a typically upbeat, catchy Powell theme. But it feels more like something to tide us Powell fans by until the next 'great' Powell score comes along...well, I hope so anyway.

We are saying the same thing. In fact i quoted you 'cause i know you're realistic and away from fanboyisms.

By 'great' i suppose you mean something in the lines of the Bourne scores, or Paycheck?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

By 'great' i suppose you mean something in the lines of the Bourne scores, or Paycheck?

Aye. It's nice that he works on all these animated films, he's good at them... but he needs something genuinely new to get his creativity flowing in different directions. Like X-Men, that was a very unique score from Powell and I love every second of it!

A western would be nice. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    A western would be nice. wink

Yes, that would HAVE BEEN nice cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not again! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's done and dusted already, already! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    SHUT UP!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    SHUT UP!

AYE CARUMBA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Uh oh, thread leakage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

We are saying the same thing. In fact i quoted you 'cause i know you're realistic and away from fanboyisms.

Mmm...: I'm not a fanboy. You know I'm objective enought to say bad things about scores I love.

If i like Horton or Kung Fu panda has nothing to do with fanboyisms but with a matter of taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Uh oh, thread leakage.

Collateral damages of your thread tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Mmm...: I'm not a fanboy.

You're a fanboy.

You know I'm objective enought to say bad things about scores I love.

Okay, you're a picky fanboy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You're a fanboy.

Aren´t we all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    Counting....1,2,3,4....5!

ok. gone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You're a fanboy.

Aren´t we all?

Certainly not. There are people who can approach a score unbiased and neutral, no matter who scored it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

It's because he is THAT awesome! His new last name is Awesome. I'm currently playing How To Train Your Dragon by John Awesome! awesome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Restoration - James Newton Howard

One word can describe this score: pleasant. One of the most pleasant listens. Not sad, not sweeping, but elegant and classic in feel. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You're a fanboy.

Aren´t we all?

Certainly not. There are people who can approach a score unbiased and neutral, no matter who scored it.

Tell me, if I'm a fanboy why I didn't like green Zone? or Why I blame everytime Zimmer does something like Madagascar 2 or even Dead Man's Chest?

Just because I like Sherlock Holmes? tongue
  1. Martijn wrote
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Bugger it! It's mono! angry
    What a shame, because this score is really, REALLY nice. Exceedingly melodic and accessible (more so, I find, than e.g. The Sand Pebbles) and I absolutely love the way he's worked in traditional gamelan music. What a nice, warm, enjoyable score.

Did you not know it was in mono?

NP: The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Sneakily listening to this one whilst at work - with only one ear bud in (the side furthest from the corridor) but since it's in mono it doesn't really matter.

I've never heard this before so this is a "new" Goldsmith to me - and what an enjoyable listen it is to. Love the ethnic feel to the score that Goldsmith gives this. Somehow it reminds me of some of the original music from the original Star Trek! (I don't know where that's coming from!)

I'll leave The Goonies until I get home...

BTW, I was listening to some of John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon last night and track after track was top quality listening. This could already be one my favourites of 2010.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Did you not know it was in mono?

Nope. sad
    I'm sure it must have announced, but somehow I seem to have read right over it?
    Anyway, completely agree: it's a lovely score, and I love how he handled the ethnic elements!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, I was listening to some of John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon last night and track after track was top quality listening. This could already be one my favourites of 2010.

Wait until you´ve listened to it twice. That´s when you start to really realise how good it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Hmmm...nothing we haven't heard before, really.
    Very functional, not bad at all, but not specifically very good.

The score picks up from the track Forbidden Friendship onwards, when a bit more enthusiasm is injected, and in fact from thereon it's a very enjoyable listen indeed. I think I'll just program out the first eight tracks to be left with some proper Powell goodies.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Tell me, if I'm a fanboy why I didn't like green Zone? or Why I blame everytime Zimmer does something like Madagascar 2 or even Dead Man's Chest?

Just because I like Sherlock Holmes? tongue

I never said you were a fanboy.

At least not a BIG fanboy wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I think I'll just program out the first eight tracks to be left with some proper Powell goodies.

Mmm... In this 68 minutes realease you can leave those tracks: "The Downed Dragon", "the dragon Book" , "not so fireproof", "The Cove" and I almost can accept you " focus , hipuc". around 11 minutes.

In the first listen I was a little bit surpassed with so much action music. And I wanted repeat again and again , in a obsessive way, some other tracks. Now I'm listening the whole thing, and it's TERRIFIC.

How i said, I know Robots and Ice Age saga are my less favourite Powell animated score. Then all the others offers something new, and i can't choose between them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jordi isn't a midget is he, y'know, like James Horner? shocked wink