• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    NP: Back In Time - Ivan Burlaev

Not bad, but too unthematic for me. Starts off with a very impressive high-energy techno-ish track (a style repeated a few times throughout the score), and there is some nice piano and melodic work throughout.
    However as the tracks are so short (few exceeding two minutes) there's little coherence, which doesn't make for the most interesting listen, especially when there's a couple of cues which are really magnificent (like the Burial For The Fallen Soldiers, which feature a huge Russian choir humming mournfully. Goosebumps! ).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Hmmmm. First listen, and it's all rather grand and bold, but not very interesting. Looking forward to the last tracks actually, since these got a lot of praise here; I hope it doesn't disappoints me as much as the first listen so far. shame

Finally, someone with taste.

Actually, I would say Marianelli's scores are something of an acquired taste. And I happen to think this dish is quite delicious. smile

"not interesting" = too subtle to be appreciated in one listen. I thought the same thing on the first listen, but knowing Marianelli, I knew I had to listen multiple times...and now it's awesome.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Confession Ryan Shore
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Hmmmm. First listen, and it's all rather grand and bold, but not very interesting. Looking forward to the last tracks actually, since these got a lot of praise here; I hope it doesn't disappoints me as much as the first listen so far. shame

It needs its time to grow as a listening experience. And definitely watching the powerful movie it accompanies.

Scribe wrote
    "not interesting" = too subtle to be appreciated in one listen. I thought the same thing on the first listen, but knowing Marianelli, I knew I had to listen multiple times...and now it's awesome.

Exactly my point!

Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA | dario marianelli

Finally, someone with taste.

Yeah....read above!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    It needs its time to grow as a listening experience. And definitely watching the powerful movie it accompanies.

You've seen the film? Darn.
    See, Greece is actually better off than the USA crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I did, in the cinema, a couple of months back. The ending in particular was very powerful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    The ending in particular was very powerful.

Indeed, specially the final aerial sequence accompanied by the music. Wonderful.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Happy Feet (powell)

I want to play How to Train Your Dragon, but the day is to cloudy, So Happy Feet it's more appropiate for the mood.

I guess this it's Southal's favourite Powell animated score.

Today, probably it's mine too.

"Fun food Storm"- "killer whales"-"Alien Ships"- "in the zoo" COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBO!

The "humble" theme is one probably my favourite theme. it's so tender!

PS: DO you remember How Obsessed i was with this score 3 years ago?¿
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I have never been able to really get into Powell's animation scores. The too many too short tracks simply don't work for me, doesn't matter how nice the melody is. Happy Feet is no exception.
    That's why I am really curious about How to Train Your Dragon. It seems that finally there are quite long tracks in a Powell score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote

PS: DO you remember How Obsessed i was with this score 3 years ago?¿

...............................yes

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    I have never been able to really get into Powell's animation scores. The too many too short tracks simply don't work for me, doesn't matter how nice the melody is. Happy Feet is no exception.
    That's why I am really curious about How to Train Your Dragon. It seems that finally there are quite long tracks in a Powell score.

But you'll be listening to one of his lesser efforts if you do: Chicken Run, Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, Horton, Ice Age 2 and Robots are all far worthier listens in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I couldn't get to like Bolt and Kung Fu Panda. Chicken Run, however, is very good, so is Antz. (But they were co-written by Harry-Gregson Williams, so they are not clearly Powell-scores)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Antz is more Harry Gregson-Williams than John Powell. Or perhaps more accurately, more Media Ventures. Chicken Run on the other hand definitely has a more Powell feel to it. In fact, there are more of Powell's tracks on the album than Gregson-Williams'. (And are clearly the highlights of the score.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA - Ennio Morricone

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Brilliant film, excellent score!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Bishop's Countdown !!!!

When my life is slowly dwindling down to nothingness, this should be playing in the background. punk

that will empty the church wink
    but then again, you don't want a church ceremonial, so who cares punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

I really want to love this - the music is so strong - but it's SO damn repetitive, I don't think I'll ever make it through the whole album in one sitting. There's a 4.5-star 30-minute album buried in here somewhere.
  2. Southall wrote

I really want to love this - the music is so strong - but it's SO damn repetitive, I don't think I'll ever make it through the whole album in one sitting. There's a 4.5-star 30-minute album buried in here somewhere.

indeed, I went through it thinking the same thing, it's one theme and it constantly reminds me of Bram Stoker's Dracula, 3 and a half I think I'll give it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Christopher Young - Murder in the First

My second listen.

JUST WOW!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

indeed, I went through it thinking the same thing, it's one theme and it constantly reminds me of Bram Stoker's Dracula, 3 and a half I think I'll give it

Yes, but. Southall's Review Rules:

- Add 1 star if the score is composed by Horner or Goldsmith
    - Add 1/2 star if the score is composed by Elfman, Powell, Desplat.
    - Remove 1/2 star if the score is Composed by Zimmer.
    -Add !/2 star if the score is composed by Zimmer with some ennio morricone influence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes, but. Southall's Review Rules:

- Add 1 star if the score is composed by Horner or Goldsmith
    - Add 1/2 star if the score is composed by Elfman, Powell, Desplat.
    - Remove 1/2 if the score is Composed by Zimmer.

lol

All my Goldsmith reviews would have six stars if that were true!

Anyway, I gave Wolfman 3 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote

Yup. That's true.
  4. That's the problem nowadays: overlong score releases. Goldsmith knew what he was talking about to only compile 30 - 45 minute albums. Though regularly I have found that just isn't enough, depending on the core material.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Command & Conquer 4 - Tiberian Twilight - James Hannigan, Jason Graves & Tim Wynn

Kinda enjoying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's the problem nowadays: overlong score releases. Goldsmith knew what he was talking about to only compile 30 - 45 minute albums. Though regularly I have found that just isn't enough, depending on the core material.

He did. But the thing with Goldsmith is his scores were so good, lengthy releases were often a plus. He just underestimated just how good his scores were.
  5. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's the problem nowadays: overlong score releases. Goldsmith knew what he was talking about to only compile 30 - 45 minute albums. Though regularly I have found that just isn't enough, depending on the core material.

He did. But the thing with Goldsmith is his scores were so good, lengthy releases were often a plus. He just underestimated just how good his scores were.

Agreed but I wouldn't want every score of his expanded, or of any composer in fact.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Agreed but I wouldn't want every score of his expanded, or of any composer in fact.

I know it's a comment that's usually mentioned in this sort of discussion but, having as much as possible does give people the opportunity to edit down the music to create their own personalised listening experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I know it's a comment that's usually mentioned in this sort of discussion but, having as much as possible does give people the opportunity to edit down the music to create their own personalised listening experience.

Oh I do understand that, however me personally, I take the album as it is. I'm still old-school... putting the CD in, pushing play, and never touching the skip button, or it would have to be for a hideous song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh I do understand that, however me personally, I take the album as it is. I'm still old-school... putting the CD in, pushing play, and never touching the skip button, or it would have to be for a hideous song.

For me, it's partly about being old school, partly about being too lazy and partly about not really being qualified as an album producer.

I wish the soundtrack labels would produce the best album they can and then stick all the rest of the music on as bonus tracks, giving people instructions on the track order needed for them to have their souvenir of the film, but leaving people who actually want to listen to it as an album of good music to just play the "proper" album assembled by the professional producer.
  8. Southall wrote
    ...not really being qualified as an album producer.

I wish the soundtrack labels would produce the best album they can and then stick all the rest of the music on as bonus tracks, giving people instructions on the track order needed for them to have their souvenir of the film, but leaving people who actually want to listen to it as an album of good music to just play the "proper" album assembled by the professional producer.

I don't believe that you need to be an album producer to put together the best listening experience. And I'm not sure I want people telling me what is the best selection to listen to. Now, if there was a way of that information being given to people who want it...then that would please both camps?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn