• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, only UNCHARTED 2 isn't very similar, don't you find? Of course it's orchestral and grand, but it's less on the dark choir and epic kind of things, and more on the melodic, bold themes leading stuff, kind more old school don't you think? All in all though, it's very impressive that games gets such level of production these days!

I agree, Uncharted 2 isn't in the same style as the others. But all very high quality.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    redgrange wrote
    King of Kings -- Rozsa

Doesn't get much better than this.

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: God of War III - Gerard Marino / Jeff Rona / Ron Fish / Mike Reagan / Cris Velasco

The usual mix of thumping percussion, strings and choir that seems to be the norm for high-profile games.

Luckily I really enjoy this sort of thing so I'm lapping it up at the moment: a great overture to start things off. Rona's (three) tracks fit into this style well, with a nod to his Rome ethnic orchestrations in "Lure of A Goddess". Cris Velasco's "Pandora's Song" also has that Rome feel about it.

Definitely worth a listen if you enjoyed Rona's Rome.

it's a very interesting score for sure...have you checked DARKSIDERS and DANTES' INFERNO but Garry Schyman too?

Yes, I have. I remember Dante's Inferno (at least) getting some bad press here. But, as far as I'm concerned both Dante's Inferno and Darksiders are very good indeed. And now that God of War III is here, this is just continuing the trend of great sounding game scores. Along with Greg Edmonson's Uncharted 2. The list goes on...

I've listened to Dante's Inferno which I hate, Darksiders is much more enjoyable (more rhythmic and melodic and with a superb main theme, so that's why) but the biggest and baddest is God of War III, which is the epitome of epic and spectacular game music. I've enjoyed all three GOW's and I really love the themes and variations in all three scores. I'm waiting to experience it in-game once I buy it for the PS3. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Paycheck - John Powell

One of his most exciting and fun scores ever, especially Hog Chase I and II! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Paycheck - John Powell

One of his most exciting and fun scores ever, especially Hog Chase I and II! cool

I'm waiting for Hog Chase part III.

NP: Run Free From Spirit Stallion of Cimarron.

I don't know if the first 2 minutes are interesting or bad (the homeland theme played as Miklos Rozsa rythm) but the other 4 minutes are fucking COOL!!! punk punk Electronics, orchestra and electric guitars! I love those trombons!

The closest thing to a Olympic Anthem Zimmer has ever composed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MASADA - Jerry Goldsmith

Great score! The Slaves is probably the most moving piece I've heard by JG, an incredibly poignant and powerful piece of music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Film Music 2009 - Various Artists

Less than half of the tracks on this album come from 2009 films but that's not what I want to comment on. I want to praise the brilliant sound quality and the wonderful performances of the City of Prague Philharmonic. Including their Tadlow recordings this is one of the best sounding City of Prague albums I own. Now I wish they would go back and re-record every single one of their earlier turkeys using this exact set up. Wow! Horner's "War" from Avatar and Christopher Young's "End Credits" from Drag Me To Hell are highlights.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Considering how long they've been used for film music sessions it was a foregone conclusion that they would become very adept.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But I didn't think it would take THIS long!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    While not the LSO or Hollywood orchestras they were never really that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... they were, Timmer. Sometimes they would hit a rare homerun (ID4 End Credits) but then they would stink up the joint (Indiana Jones Trilogy, Spider-Man's theme, etc) But they could play John Barry's music like no other... thanks to Nic Raine. But a lot of the difficult music they performed sounded like poo. Oh I can hear those sour trumpets on Williams' "The Flag Parade" right now. Ouch! And the muffled, muted, constipated sound that came out of my speakers. Jesus Christ I'm glad they fixed that issue! Now their recordings are warm and pleasant.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe I'm too knowledgable about every nuance of Barry's music but there were many times they got Barry wrong, Zulu is pretty poor and some of the Bond stuff is appalling despite Nic Raine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Film Music 2009 - Various Artists

Less than half of the tracks on this album come from 2009 films but that's not what I want to comment on. I want to praise the brilliant sound quality and the wonderful performances of the City of Prague Philharmonic. Including their Tadlow recordings this is one of the best sounding City of Prague albums I own. Now I wish they would go back and re-record every single one of their earlier turkeys using this exact set up. Wow! Horner's "War" from Avatar and Christopher Young's "End Credits" from Drag Me To Hell are highlights.

-Erik-

shocked

I didn't think there'd be a rerecording of 'War' so soon?! This certainly came out of nowhere! (For me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FILM MUSIC

From Silva. I'm getting to like Fitzpatrick's arranging more and more. Easy to listen to.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    FILM MUSIC

biggrin

Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Drag Me To Hell arrangement is a highlight for me.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Ah yes, almost Easter! Means I will visit The Passion of the Christ (and symphony) soon again!

And Passion, by Peter Gabriel...are you familiar with it?

I've heard it, a long while ago. I went in with the wrong expectations (after everybody said Debney's Passion was an inferior copy of Gabriel's Passion) and didn't revisit it as much as I'm supposed to. Will do again, indeed!

Will also return to Jenkins' Stabat Mater, and Tavener's The Myrrh-Bearer. Anybody else familiar with these classical works?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    NP: Clash of the Titans - Ramin Djawadi

Umm, the first couple tracks in, you can hear that familiar RC epic-ness in the themes and instrumentation, but it's done really well. More orchestral than not. Perseus is already one of of the highlights, with the building strings/brass combo playing the different themes and the final choral crescendo. It actually sounds a bit more like something Geoff Zanelli would do, but regardless, great track. "Medusa" starts with an ethereal bed of otherworldly female voices, before a solo violin enters with the theme, accompanied by resonant percussion, with some strings doing a sort of call/response interplay. "Scorpiox" is a really good track, one of the best action track on the album. 75% orchestral/brass/organic elements with electronic cello and percussions. There's a bit of "Why So Serious" in there, though it's more of the NIN/grunge/distortions rather than actually copying it.

Looking forward to the rest now, but so far, this is a much better than Henri 4 and Season of the Witch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    lp wrote

Hope that your enjoyment lasts!

BTW, on the whole I enjoyed it as well!

And, I think that Amazon.co.uk made an error. I bought this as a download yesterday but today it seems to have disappeared from their website. And the CD isn't available until 12th April.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Clash Of The Titans is pretty enjoyable... it's more orchestral than expected and has quite good use of choir, which is nice. Frantic string work with electronically enhanced percussion in "Scorpiox" and "Eyes Down" is also well done, as well as some good ambient synth textures supported by strings in "Pegasus" and "Killed By A God". "Medusa" has some interesting choral material like lp mentioned. The main theme is standard RC fare with the trademark horns but acceptable. But it still feels quite generic, nothing in there is particularly memorable for me. The action tracks work well to get some adrenaline pumping, but that's about it. Like it was said yesterday, this film would've gotten a much, much better score from the likes of Edward Shearmur or Joel McNeely. But I agree that Djawadi is improving, no doubt.
  3. DemonStar wrote
    ...But it still feels quite generic...

It's very generic but it's a style I enjoy.

Stacked up against Rosenthal's score for the original - which was different from what was going around at the time - it makes it's genericity (is that a word?) even more obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

And, I think that Amazon.co.uk made an error. I bought this as a download yesterday but today it seems to have disappeared from their website. And the CD isn't available until 12th April.

I don't know, I'm still able to see it on the Amazon.com website. They also have have a track list error as well, ascribing Neil Davidge, Tina Dico & Ramin Djawadi to the second track "There Is a God in You", when it's suppose to be the first track "The Storm that Brought You to Us" that they should have been credited with.

It's generic, for sure. But it's also very enjoyable, much more so than any of the current releases from other RC composers (The Pacific is excluded from this comparo). The orchestral parts proves that Djawadi can write pretty well when asked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Clash Of The Titans is pretty good... like I judged from the clips, it's more orchestral than expected and has quite good use of choir, which is nice. Some good ambient synth effects too. But it still feels quite generic, nothing in there is particularly memorable for me. The action tracks work well to get some adrenaline pumping, but that's about it. Like it was said yesterday, this film would've gotten a much, much better score from the likes of Edward Shearmur or Joel McNeely. But I agree that Djawadi is improving, no doubt.

Edward Shearmur would be a great choice. Don't care very much for McNeely, however.

Though it would have been really nice to hear a score from Alexandre Azaria.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Bear McCreary

A brilliant album.
  4. Disc 1 definitely is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah. I very rarely listen to disc 2.
  5. Disc 2 nearly puts me to sleep... For that reason I just can't agree with my brother's review. The first disc holds so much more inspired cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There might be some good tracks on disc 2, but to be honest I've never really bothered giving it a full listen!? I tried listening to McCreary's The Plan/Razor album the other day and just couldn't be arsed to finish it. It just doesn't make a very exciting album unfortunately...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED PLANET - Graeme Revell

Fantastic album! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

I hope so too! I'm hugely enjoying the sound clips on iTunes. It seems this is the kinda fun blockbuster score old fashioned MV style that I love to hear once in a while. TRANSFORMERS delivered this only in a few tracks, but this seems to be more enjoyable and consistent in style thanks to the more colors (percussian, vocals, electric cello and such). Might even consider buying this!

Btw, there's a 10 min. track near the end that's not credited to Djawadi in iTunes... I hope this track does not involve any singing, just percussion?