• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    I will if they're orchestral. With very few exceptions, i very strongly dislike synth scores of this kind.

He did some synth work but they're mostly orchestral. Try The Mechanic or Scorpio. They go way beyond what I've heard any other film composer try to do in mainstream films (and they're 30-40 years ago!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I will if they're orchestral. With very few exceptions, i very strongly dislike synth scores of this kind.

Jerry Fielding is definitely orchestral ( and at times very jazzy in some scores ), an exceptionally talented film composer but not often my cup of tea as a stand alone listen.

Sweet. What would you recommend, and why? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: Fantastic Mr. Fox - Alexandre Desplat

Finally something different from Desplat. But an Oscar nomination? Not really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Jerry Fielding is definitely orchestral ( and at times very jazzy in some scores ), an exceptionally talented film composer but not often my cup of tea as a stand alone listen.

Sweet. What would you recommend, and why? smile

I don't have much by Fielding, listen to James. I like The Mechanic and The Outlaw Josey Wales. I also like The Gauntlet but it's very jazzy and I don't think you'd like it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Thin Red Line (Hans Zimmer)

Aprecciating this one this week.

Every tracks is sublime and I like something from every cue, but my problem with this score is it doesn't make me feel in any specific mood.

"beam" is a fantastic track by Powell. it's one of the highlights of this score. The mix of orchestra, electronics and distorsions is mind blowing. And it remains me the sound of Goldsmith's "Vjeaur" from Star trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Sounds of Vancouver 2010 Olympics Opening Ceremony | "Peaks of Endeavours" - GAVIN GREENAWAY

I want MORE!!!! 10min of music from Gavin it's just really excellent stuff. A bit Disney, a bit MV/RC, mostly orchestral, all good stuff.

Gavin wrote all the music for the ceremony? There's an album circulating around in the well known places btw...

Never mind, i just saw your post over at the composer's topic. So who wrote the rest of the pieces?

From the FSM forum. Courtesy of "Hermit"

Here are the credited composers:

Fire on the Mountain by Dave Pierce
    Canadian Athletes by Bryan Adams, Dave Pierce & Jim Vallance
    Bang the Drum by Bryan Adams & Jim Vallance
    O Canada by Calixa Lavallee
    Aboriginal Welcome by Sandy Scofield & Bob Buckley
    Hymn to the North by Dave Pierce
    Sacred Grove by Dave Pierce
    Ordinary Miracle & Fantasy Ballet by Glen Ballard & David A. Stewart; Samuel Barber
    Rhythms of the Fall by Dave Pierce, Ward Allen, Calvin Vollrath & Miles Foxx Hill
    Who Has Seen the Wind by Joni Mitchell
    Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell
    Storm by Donovan Seidle
    Peaks of Endeavour by Gavin Greenaway
    Raising of the Olympic Flag by Donovan Seidle
    We Are More by Dave Pierce
    Olympic Anthem by Spyridon Samaris
    Parade of Athletes by Dave Pierce
    The Olympic Flame by Gavin Greenaway

So, the rc had a lot to do with this eh? smile

The only member of RC on the album is Gavin Greenaway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Iron Eagle - Basil Poledouris

This Poledouris rocks your socks !
    Great action music al the way through and I just love that theme !
    Play it LOUD !

punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 3:10 to Yuma - Marco Beltrami

I'm drawn to the sound that Marco has created for this movie. It's so perfect. Can't say that I really enjoy the full album that much though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Eric wrote

Play it LOUD !

punk

If you say it rocks your socks it should rock mine too. Since I'm just discovering older and long ignored scores I'll be obliged to check it out. smile

Is it as good as Robocop or Starship Troopers?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

Play it LOUD !

punk

If you say it rocks your socks it should rock mine too. Since I'm just discovering older and long ignored scores I'll be obliged to check it out. smile

Not as far as I remember? I don't remember this one rocking my boat but I should also dust it off and give it another go.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Die Another Day Complete Score - David Arnold

One of my favorite Arnold score. I hope the complete version will be released one day, there're some really good stuff on the album that deserve a release.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Die Another Day is an odd beast. It's Arnold's weakest Bond score, it's loaded with electronics and it doesn't fit the film that well...but it still good!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    The Greatest Game Ever Played Brian Tyler

Temp track influences aside (James Horner and Thomas Newman), this is a very entertaining album to listen to. Not sure about golf being the greatest game ever played though!
    •  
    Halo Legends (Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori & some Japanese composers)

Now this is more to my liking. The soundtrack to the Japanese anime TV series based on the epic game series. The music consists of the famous tunes by O'Donnell & Salvatori, all from Halo 1 & 2 in fact, none from part 3, however this time around they're performed by orchestra & choir and the various themes never sounded better. Scattered between those tracks are new compositions by 2 or 3 asian co-composers, which have no Halo theme statements, yet don't sound completely out of place, even if they are synthesized. There are some standout vocal moments, but sadly most of these cues are way too short to have a lasting impression. The Halo music still holds some of the most memorable tunes in gaming history and to hear them upscaled and upgraded from their synthesized origins way back in 2001 and 2004 is a wonderful experience. It helps to know the music of course and their function in the whole Halo mythology, but it's not a requirement to enjoy this album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Tintin wrote

Temp track influences aside (James Horner and Thomas Newman), this is a very entertaining album to listen to. Not sure about golf being the greatest game ever played though!

I guess Tiger Woods' girlfriends have something else to say wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

Play it LOUD !

punk

Not as far as I remember? I don't remember this one rocking my boat but I should also dust it off and give it another go.

But then it shouldn't rock your boat Tim, don't tell me you can't find your socks ??? cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's when you search for them while already wearing them that it's time to worry dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    It's when you search for them while already wearing them that it's time to worry dizzy

and if they are the same color?! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Even worse when spelt without the U. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Just trying to be old fashioned. You never know when it is going to be back in style?! wink

"Most words ending in an unstressed -our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada and Australia (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor). Wherever the vowel is unreduced in pronunciation, this does not occur: contour, velour, paramour, troubadour, are spelled thus the same everywhere. Most words of this category derive from Latin non-agent nouns having nominative -or; the first such borrowings into English were from early Old French and the ending was -or or -ur.[24] After the Norman Conquest, the termination became -our in Anglo-French in an attempt to represent the Old French pronunciation of words ending in -or,[25] though color has been used occasionally in English since the fifteenth century.[26] "
  4. From the search for socks to the differences in english-speaking cultures... only on maintitles can we go off-topic so fast. beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tintin wrote

That was our top news story today. No earthquakes or bombs? No! Tiger Woods instead! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tintin wrote

That was our top news story today. No earthquakes or bombs? No! Tiger Woods instead! rolleyes

Indeed. It's still the main BBC headline. Who cares!?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Couldn't they just have re-run Giacchino's interview from thismorning instead?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Couldn't they just have re-run Giacchino's interview from thismorning instead?

applause
    •  
    You Only Live Twice (John Barry)

From Halo to Bond ! Why not? This is only my second full listen but I already love the main theme which is utterly beautiful in that laid-back romantic Barry way. There's not nearly enough faster-paced music as I would've liked but then I assume this must be slower moving Bond, with an emphasis on romantic interludes (I've never seen the older films shame ). But when the usual Barry-action-sound appears it's all the more welcome, such as in 'Bond Averts World War Three'. And thematically there's absolutely nothing wrong with it of course, it has more melody than many of the recent scores combined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Die Another Day is an odd beast. It's Arnold's weakest Bond score, it's loaded with electronics and it doesn't fit the film that well...but it still good!

If it wasn't associated with Bond, it'd be a better album, I think. I don't mind the electronics though it does tend to get a bit overcooked in some action cues. Still good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's utterly brilliant! punk
    •  
    DAD or YOLT? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!