• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    You can download it from The Four Trombones
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    thanks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LEE HOLDRIDGE - mists of avalon

No matter how many times i listen to this, the reaction is always shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow Ed Shearmur

I can't believe this was written just 6 years ago; film scores like this just don't get written anymore! Perhaps one of my top 10 from the last decade. Full on old skool action adventure THEMATIC scoring!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow Ed Shearmur

I can't believe this was written just 6 years ago; film scores like this just don't get written anymore! Perhaps one of my top 10 from the last decade. Full on old skool action adventure THEMATIC scoring!

One of the best post 2000 scores. It's so full of energy and themes, it's actually irresistible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    PETER GABRIEL - passion

A hugely influential sound which is still very captivating and melancholic even after all those years have passed..
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah yes, almost Easter! Means I will visit The Passion of the Christ (and symphony) soon again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Easter? I don't think I have any Pagan-influenced scores. Screw it, I'll just get fat on chocolate instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Ah yes, almost Easter! Means I will visit The Passion of the Christ (and symphony) soon again!

And Passion, by Peter Gabriel...are you familiar with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

And Passion, by Peter Gabriel...are you familiar with it?

The Greatest Story Ever Told... are you familiar with it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    nop! i know the movie, and who scored it, but never came around watching this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    nop! i know the movie, and who scored it, but never came around watching this.

I would consider playing Alfred Newman's gorgeous, thematic, fully symphonic score first over Gabriel and Debney's scores. The soundtrack was released as a wonderful 3CD set by Ryko and then re-released (same contents) by Varese. And you can get it for under $5 HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    NP: Merry-Go-Round Of Life from FREEDOM: PIANO STORIES - Joe Hisaishi

I'm not a big fan of Howl's Moving Castle (both movie and score)

Blasphemy! shocked
    I love them both. Haven't heard the piano version, but now I'll keep an eye out for it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Easter? I don't think I have any Pagan-influenced scores. Screw it, I'll just get fat on chocolate instead.

Does 13th Warrior count?

Clannad's Robin of Sherwood

Nascimbene's The Vikings.

Herrmann's Jason and The Argonauts

Rosenthal's Clash of The Titans

Just off the top of my head. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. John Williams - Saving Private Ryan

In the mood for some elegant and respectable Americana.

When I heard the release for the first time, I dismissed Williams's score as boring. It grew on me a lot, even if I realized a lot of it is nothing more than a variation on Copland's Lincoln Portrait piece. The writing is very good. The brass parts are pure Americana beauty. Williams went lengths not to go over the top.

I always wondered though if the film needed any score. I think it would very good without music, with the exquisite hymn (one of the best if not the best Williams theme of the 1990s, yes, considering Hook, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, which, along with The Thin Red Line, is my all-time favorite score) left solely for the End Credits as a remembrance piece. The score does add honorability and respect to a gritty film and doesn't detract from it, but doesn't give too much I think and if anything, the question should be asked to Spielberg, rather than Williams, which did his best to give the movie what it was needed.

Very good, respectable, elegant and, in some way, actually relaxing music and the Hymn deserves a strong compilation album. I don't think any re-recording would do the piece justice though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Neither Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers needed any score. Still, it would be sad to not have these two great scores if such a decision had been made.
  2. I think music helped the training scenes and the great shots of flying planes, right before the hell drops.

In Band of Brothers, I couldn't imagine the discovery scene without the score. Pure inspiration on ALL sides of the camera.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TAXI DRIVER - Bernard Herrmann

A gorgeous, dark and ominous score, at times bloodcurdlingly visceral, and with the sexiest, sleeziest sax driven main theme this side of John Barry's score for Body Heat.

This was Herrmann's swan song and you really couldn't ask for a better high to sign out on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer).

It's far from a perfect score. from the annoying synthetic action tracks (the second half of Red Warrior is terrible) to the uninspired Algren's theme. From thoseeeeeeeeeeeee large notes to the little sense of real japanese music.

But then, there are SOME OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STUFF ZIMMER HAS EVER COMPOSED : " A way of life" (with Red Warrior theme played with synthetiser to represent the spirit of the taka's death husband), To Know My enemey (with this amazing statement of the samurai theme), "Idilly's End" or the powerful "Taken".

I do really love this navajo chants in Red Warrior, It is one of the best moments of Zimmer's career.

This score has the peace, and the strenght.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jurassic Park III Don Davis

A very worthy addition to Williams' scores, if only for Davis's trademark orchestrations. The new "family theme" is okay, but what really shines is his action scoring!
    • CommentAuthorredgrange
    King of Kings -- Rozsa

Doesn't get much better than this.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    NP: Once Upon A Forest - James Horner

I think this score often gets overlooked. It isn't his best for the animation genre, but sill very relaxing and enjoyable.
  3. NP: God of War III - Gerard Marino / Jeff Rona / Ron Fish / Mike Reagan / Cris Velasco

The usual mix of thumping percussion, strings and choir that seems to be the norm for high-profile games.

Luckily I really enjoy this sort of thing so I'm lapping it up at the moment: a great overture to start things off. Rona's (three) tracks fit into this style well, with a nod to his Rome ethnic orchestrations in "Lure of A Goddess". Cris Velasco's "Pandora's Song" also has that Rome feel about it.

Definitely worth a listen if you enjoyed Rona's Rome.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: God of War III - Gerard Marino / Jeff Rona / Ron Fish / Mike Reagan / Cris Velasco

The usual mix of thumping percussion, strings and choir that seems to be the norm for high-profile games.

Luckily I really enjoy this sort of thing so I'm lapping it up at the moment: a great overture to start things off. Rona's (three) tracks fit into this style well, with a nod to his Rome ethnic orchestrations in "Lure of A Goddess". Cris Velasco's "Pandora's Song" also has that Rome feel about it.

it's a very interesting score for sure...have you checked DARKSIDERS and DANTES' INFERNO but Garry Schyman too?
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: God of War III - Gerard Marino / Jeff Rona / Ron Fish / Mike Reagan / Cris Velasco

it's a very interesting score for sure...have you checked DARKSIDERS and DANTES' INFERNO but Garry Schyman too?

Yes, I have. I remember Dante's Inferno (at least) getting some bad press here. But, as far as I'm concerned both Dante's Inferno and Darksiders are very good indeed. And now that God of War III is here, this is just continuing the trend of great sounding game scores. Along with Greg Edmonson's Uncharted 2. The list goes on...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, only UNCHARTED 2 isn't very similar, don't you find? Of course it's orchestral and grand, but it's less on the dark choir and epic kind of things, and more on the melodic, bold themes leading stuff, kind more old school don't you think? All in all though, it's very impressive that games gets such level of production these days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the bad press, it was from a couple of members or so...i, personally, loved especially Dante's Inferno and Bioshock 2...the man has the ability to write some very complex and grippingly modern stuff for the orchestra!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, only UNCHARTED 2 isn't very similar, don't you find? Of course it's orchestral and grand, but it's less on the dark choir and epic kind of things, and more on the melodic, bold themes leading stuff, kind more old school don't you think? All in all though, it's very impressive that games gets such level of production these days!

You can listen to a nifty audio interview with Edmonson over at ScoreNotes.com. I just did today.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.