• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Put you to sleep? wink

-Erik-

To be fair, many of the cues could pass for lullabies...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm still letting iTunes select what albums I should play. Right now I'm spinning...

Hero - Tan Dun

I totally forgot that I owned this. It's nothing ground breaking but I like epic, far east sounding scores. Taiko drums, mail chorus, western symphonic writing... very enjoyable with superb violin solos by Itzhak Perlman.

What will be next?

-Erik-

That's a great score, the best from all the similarly-oriented films and scores that came out rapidly after the success of crouching tiger hidden dragon. And hero is a far better score that this one btw. As for what's next, who knows? He hasn't been working much lately, at least on big projects like this and by the turn of film music during the last 4-5 years i don't think a lot of the directors working today would favor such an approach again?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Put you to sleep? wink

-Erik-

Lust, caution is full of passionate themes, a wonderful erotic atmosphere. which connects completely with the theme of the movie. If it puts you to sleep you should check yourself tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The End of the Affair - Michael Nyman

Not really familiar with this man's work. Again, here is another score that was played on my radio show and never listened to again.

-Erik-

The Nyman style i love the most is in his Gattaca, the claim, wonderland. I can't really connect to his more obscure scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Up Next in the iTunes album shuffle...

United 93 - John Powell

I haven't spun the complete album since I last played it on my radio show 4 years ago. It's a brilliant score in every sense of the word but not an album I play for musical enjoyment. It works its magic in the film. I can't recall the last time a composer was give such an important project to score. Maybe Schindler's List. I can't begin to imagine the pressure Powell was under to get the right sound for this picture. IMHO, he succeeded and I should have given him more credit for the score when I was compiling my Best of 2006 list.

-Erik-

For me it's his best score, something he didn't repeat yet. The amount of emotions breathing in that score are awe-inspiring. I can't think of anyone else who would pull that project with such a respect, tact, and with genuinely fresh ideas to approach something like that which could easily result in cheesy destruction in the hands of someone else. The similarly-themed WTC is also scored with a lot of care by Craig Armstrong imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: WHITE OLEANDER - Thomas Newman

Newman writes some of the most subtle yet evocative music around and this effort really is no exception. I understand White Oleander is not his most popular or memorable score but I really love it. Slow, ethereal and dreamy... perfect bedtime listening.

Night night.

cool

Very touching American Beauty-esque score indeed. God i miss his music these days.
  2. lp wrote
    NP: Mass Effect 2 - Jack Wall & others

Umm... I like it? Some reviewers have compared the sound to Vangelis' Blade Runner, and I can hear that. There're also many Zimmer-esque tracks in there too. But everything is pretty coherently handled and sounds good enough to warrant addition listens.

I think about half the tracks of the full soundtrack are really enjoyable. I'd say it's more enjoyable than the game it supports, which I have grown hopelessly tired of.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Silver Chalice - Franz Waxman
    conducted by Elmer Bernstein

From the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection. This is my second spin of this particular work. Nothing really stood out for me on my first listen two years ago. Let see what Waxman has in store for me...

-Erik-

I much prefer the Bernstein Box programme for Waxman's score. I was tempted into buying the OST FSM released the following year based upon what I heard in the re-recording but was sorely disappointed with the expanded release experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing - Sean Callery

Very decent game score, with 3 versions of the song included performed by someone called Mya, one regular playing over the main titles, one jazz version, and one remix techno version. Lacking in taste that I am, I like all 3 versions. The 24 composer pushes all the right buttons, giving the music in the game an incredible sense of momentum and providing some wonderful suspense cues. It all sounds slightly more orchestral than his 24 stuff culminating in some incredible rousing finale cues and with good incorporation of the famous Bond theme.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya sung in a 007 score confused

wink
  4. Mya

Slightly less japanese I would say. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Myeah.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Mya! cat
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Panthera wrote
    Was there ever a release of the various orchestral pieces composed for the Beijing Olympics?

I have about ten minutes of Tan Dun's music for the opening ceremony, from a disc set released only in China.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Even though my next review is going to be Theater of Blood I wasn't up to listening to it this early AM so I chose Ladies in Lavender/Nigel Hess, with violin solos by Joshua Bell. The main theme is one that takes the tension from the body, turns the brain off, and becomes a thing of sheer tranquility. I truly feel at peace.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Even though my next review is going to be Theater of Blood I wasn't up to listening to it this early AM so I chose Ladies in Lavender/Nigel Hess, with violin solos by Joshua Bell. The main theme is one that takes the tension from the body, turns the brain off, and becomes a thing of sheer tranquility. I truly feel at peace.
    Thomas

Totally brilliant. I would listen to this today... but it's FANTASY FRIDAY! Playlist to come...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Today is not my day for Fantasy Friday.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love Theatre of Blood, both the film (Vincent Price's finest hour) and the score, which I listen to often.
    Looking forward to your review eventually, Thomas!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    I love Theatre of Blood, both the film (Vincent Price's finest hour) and the score, which I listen to often.
    Looking forward to your review eventually, Thomas!

I quite like Theatre of Blood, but it's not my favourite Michael J. Lewis title. So, I decided not to "upgrade" my promo copy of the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Upgrade? confused Is there a new version out? Is it any different from the earlier one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alright... it's FANTASY FRIDAY and in my playlist today are the following...

DARK CITY (Trevor Jones)
    "You Have the Power" is one of the most impressive action cues ever written but does the rest of the score hold up? Honestly, I can't really remember. Funny... I also have the film on DVD but have only made it 20 minutes or so into the film when something comes up and I have to stop watching. Gonna have to make watching this movie a priority.

THE NEVERENDING STORY PART II (Robert Folk)
    Folk rarely disappoints. I love his fantasy scores (Beastmaster 2, Lawnmower Man 2, etc) and this one is right up there. Great themes, great action music, lots of emotion... good times!

CRITTERS 2: THE MAIN COURSE (Nicholas Pike)
    Don't let the title fool you. This is a wild, zany and over the top orchestral score that at times could get confused for a Broughton western! This score could have easily been lost in the world B-movie electronic garbage but for some reason Pike was given a modest budget to write a dynamite orchestral score!

ALIEN3 (Elliot Goldenthal)
    A masterpiece. Brilliant atmosphere, eerie dissonance, frightful orchestral blasts and some of the most creative orchestrations and electronic work I've ever heard. And of course there is the finale which contains the perfect send off cue for Ripley. Love it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

Umm... I like it? Some reviewers have compared the sound to Vangelis' Blade Runner, and I can hear that. There're also many Zimmer-esque tracks in there too. But everything is pretty coherently handled and sounds good enough to warrant addition listens.

I think about half the tracks of the full soundtrack are really enjoyable. I'd say it's more enjoyable than the game it supports, which I have grown hopelessly tired of.

What I like about the score is that each tracks feels very self contained, with a beginning, middle, and end to most of them. But the negative part of that is that I can't really pull an "action only" or soft instrumental track to put in my playlists. Minor gripe, however...
  6. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

What I like about the score is that each tracks feels very self contained, with a beginning, middle, and end to most of them. But the negative part of that is that I can't really pull an "action only" or soft instrumental track to put in my playlists. Minor gripe, however...

Yes those character-specific tracks (Mordin, Samara, etc.) are constructed out of various short cues that play at key moments during their storylines in the game. It doesn't exactly give the most consistent listening experience but it beats having all those short moments as separate cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

Yes those character-specific tracks (Mordin, Samara, etc.) are constructed out of various short cues that play at key moments during their storylines in the game. It doesn't exactly give the most consistent listening experience but it beats having all those short moments as separate cues.

Ahhhh, yeah, it would have been very annoying to listen to the short cues :coughJOHNPOWELLcough: ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Signs (James Newton Howard)

Handsdown!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote

Ahhhh, yeah, it would have been very annoying to listen to the short cues :coughJOHNPOWELLcough: ....

Actually I don't think Powell usually creates short cues, more often than not he just splits them up into short tracks on his albums.
  7. It all depends on spotting, animation scores may just have short cues and they are released just like they were written.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Horner didn't suffer from 'short cue syndrome' when he wrote his animation scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Horner didn't suffer from 'short cue syndrome' when he wrote his animation scores.

No, he suffered of too much Mickey Mousing.
  9. Well yeah I guess there's no denying that... dizzy