• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nautilus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    What does Jordi have to do with logical reasoning?

WTF!!!

you are new here! How you dare???????????? angry

Hey, what's so bad about it? Your style is evident to all, old and new. Some people struggle for years to leave an impression on people. You've got real character...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010 edited
    Indiana Jones & The Crystal Skull (Suite) John Williams

I decided to make a suite after hearing (i.e. reminded of) Mutt's theme in Marc's brilliant french horn tribute.

No Raiders March, no Skull theme, no Irina's theme.... just action action action. (Ending with 'The Departure'.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    Care to share?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, you'll notice all the edits and say bad things. I just can't take that kind of rejection.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    No, you'll notice all the edits and say bad things. I just can't take that kind of rejection.

Oh George...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Battle for the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

iTunes selects another album I own and yet have never played just for the hell of it! A strange and quirky Main Title opens the score. It's so incredibly well written! I like it very much! Hoping the rest of the score offers just as much creativity!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've got a great job that allows me to do so.

-Erik-

I wish I had a job that allowed me to shuffle by entire album!!

I can't even listen to tracks without watching over my shoulder. Maybe that's partly why I shuffle by track?

NP: "Following Instructions" - Imago Mortis - Zacarías M. de la Riva

Thanks Mikael for getting this one out on release! This particular track is a lovely track that just washes over you. In no way action-packed, there's a lovely passage towards the end featuring flute then piano that's quite calming!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    This experience has been eye opening and I highly recommend that you all try it! Sure, not all of you have hours upon hours of time to listen to one score after the other but even if you only have time to listen to ONE album let iTunes choose that album for... especially one that you might not have played before. It's a great way to discover some gems that you've had in your collection for years yet have never had the time to give your undivided attention to.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mass Effect 2 - Jack Wall & others

Umm... I like it? Some reviewers have compared the sound to Vangelis' Blade Runner, and I can hear that. There're also many Zimmer-esque tracks in there too. But everything is pretty coherently handled and sounds good enough to warrant addition listens.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    This experience has been eye opening and I highly recommend that you all try it! Sure, not all of you have hours upon hours of time to listen to one score after the other but even if you only have time to listen to ONE album let iTunes choose that album for... especially one that you might not have played before. It's a great way to discover some gems that you've had in your collection for years yet have never had the time to give your undivided attention to.

-Erik-

I sometimes do this in the car by choosing the next album on my ipod without looking. (Because I'm driving. wink ) It usually means I know whether it's later or earlier in the alphabet, but that still leaves a lot of options unless I'm coming off Schifrin's A.D. (heading north) or Barry's Zulu (heading south).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Amati Girls - Conrad Pope

Sweet little score. Piano, woodwinds and strings dominate.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sounds good. And seems to be quite an easy thing to do in iTunes? I routinely use MediaMonkey to play my music on a PC (usually my 8863-track "favourites" playlist).

Seems for MediaMonkey to shuffle albums I need to install a script that someone has written in order to do this. I was tempted until I saw all the error references in the associated forum!!

NP: "I Am The Bread of Life" - The Gospel of John - Jeff Danna
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sounds good. And seems to be quite an easy thing to do in iTunes?

Yeah... very easy. In my Controls tab I have the option to shuffle my collection by Song, Album or Grouping. I select Album.

-Erik-
  4. I know that you're a strong advocate of iTunes, Erik. But do you know much about the functionality of WinAMP? I'm reading that this player also has album shuffle capability.

Have you ever used WinAMP (I think it's up to version 5.57 now)? And if you have, what's your experience with it?

NP: "The Hunt" - Planet of The Apes - Danny Elfman

I just love what Elfman did with this update (not so much what Tim Burton did though.) "The Hunt" is a particularly good example of what's good about this score - rhythm and percussion overload!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I know that you're a strong advocate of iTunes, Erik. But do you know much about the functionality of WinAMP? I'm reading that this player also has album shuffle capability.

Have you ever used WinAMP (I think it's up to version 5.57 now)? And if you have, what's your experience with it?

A few years ago I tried the convert to Winamp but I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the interface because I was so used to iTunes. I love the fact that Winamp doesn't suck up as much RAM as iTunes does but I'm so used to iTunes that I can't think of using another app for organizing my digital music.

As for album shuffle in Winamp I think you have to install a 3rd party plug in.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: WHITE OLEANDER - Thomas Newman

Newman writes some of the most subtle yet evocative music around and this effort really is no exception. I understand White Oleander is not his most popular or memorable score but I really love it. Slow, ethereal and dreamy... perfect bedtime listening.

Night night.

cool
  5. Thanks for your help, Erik. beer

NP: "Take Him Home / Broken Toe" - InnerSpace - Jerry Goldsmith
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sounds good. And seems to be quite an easy thing to do in iTunes? I routinely use MediaMonkey to play my music on a PC (usually my 8863-track "favourites" playlist).

Ahh! I only have about 3400 favorites! Someone is crazier than me! beer

Erik, I don't actually have any albums that I've never listened to... tongue smile

I like foobar the best, if you have a lot of customization and scripting experience you can make it do EXACTLY what you want, and you can make it look prettier than MediaMonkey without sacrificing performance or functionality.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik, I don't actually have any albums that I've never listened to... tongue smile

You won't believe how many albums have come across my desk only to be played on my radio show once and tossed aside because I had to move onto the next batch of albums.

Back to the shuffle...

NP: The Bravados - Hugo Friedhofer and Alfred Newman

From the 1958 western starring Gregory Peck. The album opens with a quintessential Newman main theme. Friedhofer supplies his own themes for the main characters and does a fantastic job of adopting Newman's main theme into the rest score.

A solid western score feature two Golden Age greats!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The End of the Affair - Michael Nyman

Not really familiar with this man's work. Again, here is another score that was played on my radio show and never listened to again.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    As Good As It Gets - Hans Zimmer

A nice fluffy way to end the day.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Silver Chalice - Franz Waxman
    conducted by Elmer Bernstein

From the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection. This is my second spin of this particular work. Nothing really stood out for me on my first listen two years ago. Let see what Waxman has in store for me...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Hero - Tan Dun

Beautiful music for a beautiful film. Very powerful. What has Tan Dun done since Hero? I've only ever heard Crouching Tiger and Hero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dun worked on the Beijing Summer Olympics and a film in 2006 called Legend of the Black Scorpion or The Banquet. He also premiered an opera in 2006 called The Last Emperor.

NP: Valiant - Geroge Fenton

Ron Goodwin and Elmer Bernstein would be so very, very proud! GREAT SCORE!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Was there ever a release of the various orchestral pieces composed for the Beijing Olympics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't think there was.

-Erik-
  6. Lust, Caution - Maestro Desplat

He's done it again! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Put you to sleep? wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    NP: Hero - Tan Dun

Beautiful music for a beautiful film. Very powerful. What has Tan Dun done since Hero? I've only ever heard Crouching Tiger and Hero.

I recently listened to The Banquet (2006). It doesn't have much action music but it's a lovely East Asian themed score, loved it. Check it out. smile