• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Also regarding Revenge of the Sith, my biggest problem with that album is that it's missing the war drums. Purists, leave me alone. I like them. sad

Totally agree. The bootleg has them, and I much prefer the film version of the opening battle music to the album version.

punk

beer which bootleg do you have? There are like 5 million different versions. Mine is pieced together from several sources.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not all his real fans like things like Sherlock Holmes, mind you.

I love how people say that Sherlock Holmes is probably all Balfe, if they don't like it and love Zimmer (Hans was not responsible for that crap, Lorne was), but honestly I think that Sherlock is mostly Zimmer.

Why? Balfe was supervising Modern Warfare 2 at the moment (Zimmer is reportedly VERY unhappy with the final outcome, because he didn't supervise it enough), which was 6 hours of music to write. Hans didn't do enough work (as he admitted to a fan) on MW2, because he was concentrated on doing Sherlock Holmes. So if you hate Sherlock Holmes, whoever does, it IS mostly Hans Zimmer's doing, perhaps a bit more than usual.

I complete agree with you.

I don't enjoy very much sherlock holmes score beyonf a couple of tracks, but it's obvious is a Hans score.

And I don't know why, But I notice when Zimmer is the composer of some cue or not. I have this " gift". Why? perhaps because even when I don't like the music i find it somethings that just Zimmer can do.

Zimmer touches me like no any other composer, and I love this way to understand the music.

Hans is not just his music, it's him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    The album editing of the score is atrocious. They even end up looping music in General Grevous. vomit

I've heard a pretty atrocious edit from one of the bootlegs, so I always include the album version which seems fine to me? Now I'm really confused. I either don't notice these things as much as others, or they don't really bother me as much as others (probably both).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Hans is not just his music, it's him.

That's profound.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    I've heard a pretty atrocious edit from one of the bootlegs, so I always include the album version which seems fine to me? Now I'm really confused. I either don't notice these things as much as others, or they don't really bother me as much as others (probably both).

You're lucky either way. The main title and opening sequence cue has also pretty blatant cuts.
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

You're lucky either way. The main title and opening sequence cue has also pretty blatant cuts.

In my defense I only listen to (one of) the bootleg versions of the opening battle music. Edits or not, works for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    God, three hours since my last visit and I find 3 pages of new posts, mostly Zimmer / RC related posts. Didn't Pawel created an specific thread for this?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    God, three hours since my last visit and I find 3 pages of new posts, mostly Zimmer / RC related posts. Didn't Pawel created an specific thread for this?

We also had a page long discussion about JNH in the Powell thread. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    The album editing of the score is atrocious. They even end up looping music in General Grevous. vomit

Agreed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote

It's called the ignore topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agreed!

-Erik-

Which version should I listen to then?! crazy
  2. Kevin created the topic and called it RC topic when I specifically said that I want to ignore RC there lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's called passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's called passion.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    You're talking to Jordi, D, that's Jordi.... dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy

Pawel wrote it though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer, I talked about it (being better) with a Hollywood composer (Facebook chat), when I heard that he has a very bad opinion in the industry.

The composer told me that he is actually liked in the industry, as a very cool and down-to-earth person (something I experienced myself in at least two cases). When I asked him about the class difference between Zimmer and his composers, he said it's the passion. There is something to Zimmer's scores that is evident from Rain Man even in his worse scores. It seems to be widely seen that Zimmer makes up for his technical deficencies with simply loving his work and putting himself in full in everything he does, even if the score is not that good in the end.

It was obvious . all his real fans know that. kiss

All of his scores, even his worst ones? That's an extreme exaggeration. I love Zimmer but please, let's be realistic.

I was quoting an opinion from a composer working in Hollywood, not A-list though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You're talking to Jordi, D, that's Jordi.... dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy

Pawel wrote it though.

Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer, I talked about it (being better) with a Hollywood composer (Facebook chat), when I heard that he has a very bad opinion in the industry.

The composer told me that he is actually liked in the industry, as a very cool and down-to-earth person (something I experienced myself in at least two cases). When I asked him about the class difference between Zimmer and his composers, he said it's the passion. There is something to Zimmer's scores that is evident from Rain Man even in his worse scores. It seems to be widely seen that Zimmer makes up for his technical deficencies with simply loving his work and putting himself in full in everything he does, even if the score is not that good in the end.

It was obvious . all his real fans know that. kiss

All of his scores, even his worst ones? That's an extreme exaggeration. I love Zimmer but please, let's be realistic.

I was quoting an opinion from a composer working in Hollywood, not A-list though.

That's why he's not a-list. Having such opinions wink
  4. I think there is actually something to it. Why is a score credited to Zimmer 90 times better than a score by Jablonsky using the same sound?

Imagine Djawadi using the Sherlock sound, why would it be much worse than Zimmer's doing? I am not asking about the QUALITY of the scores themselves. What I mean is that Zimmer's score, even if eventually a 2-star effort or one star, as in Shark Tale, will be STILL better than a very similar score written by one of his composers. This is the question at hand. Why Transformers is worse than The Rock? Why the only close-to-decent cue in Iron Man is actually by Zimmer? (First track).

We're not discussing if, say, Sherlock is a good score (I like it BTW), but why Djawadi would rip off the sound much worse than the original score is.
  5. And outside of the "because Djawadi is crappy" stuff. I guess Orvarsson would make it sound slightly worse, even if I think of him as one of the biggest promises in the whole group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why Transformers is worse than The Rock?

It actually isn't. THE ROCK is the definition of lack of subtlety.

Why the only close-to-decent cue in Iron Man is actually by Zimmer? (First track).

All sound the same crap to me.

We're not discussing if, say, Sherlock is a good score (I like it BTW), but why Djawadi would rip off the sound much worse than the original score is.

As for Sherlock Holmes, i think that if Djawadi wrote it, it'd be about the same thing.

Those are very wild generalizations to make and a rather one-sided, biased way to see things. I don't like absolutes such as this and i don't agree. His minions have often produced much better scores than him. Prince of Persia for instance, taking his output during the last 2-3 years, i don't think he'd write a score half as good as Harry's for this film, now, in 2010.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why Transformers is worse than The Rock?

It actually isn't. THE ROCK is the definition of lack of subtlety.

Why the only close-to-decent cue in Iron Man is actually by Zimmer? (First track).

All sound the same crap to me.

As for Sherlock Holmes, i think that if Djawadi wrote it, it'd be about the same thing.

Those are very wild generalizations to make and a rather one-sided, biased way to see things. I don't like absolutes such as this and i don't agree. His minions have often produced much better scores than him. Prince of Persia for instance, taking his output during the last 2-3 years, i don't think he'd write a score half as good as Harry's for this film, now, in 2010.

Demetris...I'm really surprised that you wrotte this. Seriously.... I think it's the first time that I could say this about you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why? When did i ever blindly followed or opposed to anyone before? I don't care about names, labels and who wrote what. I have open ears and listen, as unbiased as i can; and i really try. Seriously suggesting that anything Zimmer writes is automatically better than the rest of his composer simply because it's by Zimmer, defies my logic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GORAN BREGOVIC - the time of the gypsies

One of the most studied films in the Balkan and wider European cinema, dressed with grace and warmth by one very special composer. I re-watched this looooooong movie lately and discussed parts of it at the college; it all reminded me how great an emotional impact it made when i first viewed it. Surely a singular work in all aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why? When did i ever blindly followed or opposed to anyone before? I don't care about names, labels and who wrote what. I have open ears and listen, as unbiased as i can; and i really try. Seriously suggesting that anything Zimmer writes is automatically better than the rest of his composer simply because it's by Zimmer, defies my logic.

No. You are doing the opposite thing. Wich it's a mistake too.
  6. Well, about Prince of Persia, I need to confirm it, but there is a rumor that Zimmer wrote a "main theme" for it.

But seriously, look at what we see.

Powell is definitely a voice coming out of Zimmer's "school". So is HGW. We can agree about his output or not (Prince of Persia is his best score since Kingdom of Heaven to me, but it is still a bit too derivative of his other adventure scores for me to be all over it, it's about the 4-5th score where the string action motif from Battle of Kerak appears and that I don't like, also the electronica moments).

So there come the good composers. Mancina is underrated, because nobody knows that he CO-CREATED the MV sound of today. I have a theory that really, the three defining scores to the sound are Crimson Tide (Hans), Bad Boys (Mancina) and The Rock (Zimmer merely contributed two themes and some rearrangements, he himself states that it's a "Nick (Glennie-Smith) score"). So these three names are responsible for the most seminal use of the sound called MV/RC style. Zimmer reinvented himself once in a while, that's all. I won't discuss Rabin here, the poor guy can say that he has nothing to do with RCP and he will still be regarded as such.

Anyway, the thing is: Badelt, Powell and HGW eventually left RCP, but only when their careers weren't doing so bad, with the exception of Badelt, who had to run to Europe to get both ANY projects and GOOD projects. Possibly, some bad-mouthing from the HZ side of things happened, I don't know. Powell and HGW branched out when their careers were on rather good level after HGW taking Tony Scott over from Hans, who had a scheduling conflict on Enemy of the State (overworking on TTRL) and Powell mostly thanks to his animation scoring. Another thing that helped HGW branch out was his collaboration with Andrew Adamson, for whom he did one of the Shrek scores and later both Narnias.

Enough of the "history", back to the point:

A Jablonsky piece for a Zimmer score is better than a Jablonsky solo score. This happens with most of RC composers. The question is why is that? Why suddenly do they get worse on their own? And this is a rather general fact happening, I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I am not. I like the Zimmer up to Angels and Demons. Nothing he's crafted afterwards managed to tell me anything new, move me in any ways. I am waiting, i haven't pre-decided anything for anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I love you , Pawel. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I am not. I like the Zimmer up to Angels and Demons. Nothing he's crafted afterwards managed to tell me anything new, move me in any ways. I am waiting, i haven't pre-decided anything for anyone.

Ahaha...How many scores he composed after Angels and Demons?