• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010 edited
    I'm not partial to either of the Elfman scores. Apart from the admittedly thrilling main themes, the rest just seems like so much wallpaper to me...

In fact I can say about those scores what Jordi says about HGW...the orchestra and how its orchestrated just sound cheap and lacking power or depth.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    I beg to differ with his output during the last 2-3 years. I'd not change a single note in WOLFMAN, WANTED, ALICE, TERMINATOR SALVATION, etc. He's a master of darkness and cinematic atmosphere.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If I wanted darkness and atmosphere I would go outside on a stormy night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Or Elfman. Or Goldenthal.

Here you go wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Alice in Wonderbra and The Wolfman are not just candidates but winners to the "most repetitive" score of the last 10 years. it is not enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    To a certain extent I am just exaggerating to make a point. I like such things in certain instances...just not the way Elfman does it. I'd take Goldenthal any day, more power to the recordings it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Alice in Wonderbra and The Wolfman are not just candidates but winners to the "most repetitive" score of the last 10 years. it is not enough?

Oh God......
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I haven't seen the film, is there a reason to deliberately reference Holst or are people just picking up on the (possibly accidental?) similarities?

Ooooh... it's Holst. Listen to Jupiter from The Planets and then listen to the End Credits from Ice Age 3.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

suicide
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I haven't seen the film, is there a reason to deliberately reference Holst or are people just picking up on the (possibly accidental?) similarities?

Ooooh... it's Holst. Listen to Jupiter from The Planets and then listen to the End Credits from Ice Age 3.

-Erik-

Yes, Jupiter is a childhood favorite of mine so I picked up on it as soon as I heard Ice Age 3. But I don't think it's close enough that it necessarily has to be deliberate. Is nobody ever allowed to write an ascending flurry of strings like that (I lack the proper terminology) without it immediately being called Holst?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

Yes, Jupiter is a childhood favorite of mine so I picked up on it as soon as I heard Ice Age 3. But I don't think it's close enough that it necessarily has to be deliberate. Is nobody ever allowed to write an ascending flurry of strings like that (I lack the proper terminology) without it immediately being called Holst?

It's just too close, it's one of the worlds most famous pieces of classical music, absolutely no doubt about it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sometimes I wonder whether the RC people have actually ever listened to any classical music. If it was anyone besides Powell or Zimmer, I might be concerned that he didn't even know he was imitating Jupiter... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Even I, a stout defender of any composer who gets accused of ripping other pieces, can hear the blatancy of this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Most of them are classically trained, including Zimmer. Don't underestimate them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Sometimes I wonder whether the RC people have actually ever listened to any classical music. If it was anyone besides Powell or Zimmer, I might be concerned that he didn't even know he was imitating Jupiter... cool

They could never come up with such brilliance under their own steam.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Not that that can be construed as a criticism considering just how brilliant a composer Holst was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Wow, that is actually SUCH a better insult than mine was.... beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely, Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think the brilliance of the Planets is not so much the individual elements (i.e. the opening of the Jupiter piece) but the way the elements come together to form such an emotionally driven, atmospherically coherent whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Not that that can be construed as a criticism considering just how brilliant a composer Holst was.

True. Same applies for all the established composers of the Baroque-Romantic era. It's pretty unfair and unreasonable really, to compare anyone contemporary with them.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Most of them are classically trained, including Zimmer. Don't underestimate them.

Zimmer is not classically trained.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

True. Same applies for all the established composers of the Baroque-Romantic era. It's pretty unfair and unreasonable really, to compare anyone contemporary with them.

Why on earth do you say that? All the benefits of modern technology should make it easier for geniuses to apply their brilliance to their craft. All the supposed benefits of the modern education system should make it easier to find geniuses and help them develop their craft. And all the supposed benefits of modern health science should enable those genius minds to work more optimally and thus reach greater heights than anyone who came before. I mean, even disregarding all that, even if this was the exact same world as that one from a technological and cultural standpoint, modern composers should be able to better those that came before...standing on the shoulders of giants and all that. So what gives?

I'm not denying the validity of your point, it just frustrates me to no end how culture at large seems to think we are making "progress" when in fact we're going backwards in many of the areas that truly matter. IMO of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Every form of art is formed and born in the eras nd culture that surrounds them. The world of the Renaissance up to the romantic era is nowhere near ours. Every artists creates influenced by his time. Technical means are nothing. Mozart wrote with an ink pen and paper. And what education? We study them. They created education.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Zimmer is not classically trained.

Isn't he? I was under the impression he studied formal western composition.
  2. No, he took three weeks of piano as a kid, but "his teacher quit". That's about the closest thing to formal education he got. He also learnt to play guitar, shared a teacher with Jay Rifkin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And this applies to all of his composers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is there a formal biography somewhere?
  3. His formal biography says nothing about his education, the teacher quote was taken from the liner notes to Beyond Rangoon.

Not true about his composers - Gavin Greenaway and John Powell even wrote operas together before they went MV/RC, Harry Gregson-Williams was a choirist and then learnt composing or conducting...

In fact most of his underlings have much better training than the man himself.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Where's WOLFMAN mentions ? That's also one very strong candidate.

That's second best score of the year. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You stalk him, don't you Pawel?