• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

In many ways, it's a precursor to many of Horner's drama scores of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGL4btEIoTo

Doesn't work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: JFK - John Williams

This is probably one of my most neglected John Williams scores. It stirs up the right emotions, the writing is quality (great themes, one hell of an action cue in "The Motorcade") but for some reason it's not a score I want to return to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

In many ways, it's a precursor to many of Horner's drama scores of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Doesn't work.

The Link? or the joke?

NP:In dreams (Goldenthal)

Today I'm in the mood to some "nightmarish" dissonant score. And of course, this is the man.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Nautilus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

Not valid.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

Doesn't work.

The Link? or the joke?

NP:In dreams (Goldenthal)

Today I'm in the mood to some "nightmarish" dissonant score. And of course, this is the man.

there was a joke??? confused dizzy

And yes, the link doesn't work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

It works.

...so, The Archies singing Sugar Sugar..........your point being?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    OK, link works.
    Now the joke doesn't work.

EDIT: ah. Timmer already beat me to it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

It works.

...so, The Archies singing Sugar Sugar..........your point being?

Horner...Sugar...sugar....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sometimes a normal facepalm just doesn't cut it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But Martijn sometimes you need a...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it's not so much the quantity as it is the quality of the palm. You see, sometimes size does matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol

Awesome!

biggrin

NP: U-571 - Jerry....errrr..... Richard Marvin

Goldsmith influences a plenty... especially Air Force One... but it's still an over the top action joy ride. I love the film, too... no matter how historically inaccurate it is.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Bad Boys - Complete score (Mark Mancina)

A personal favourite from my youth, this is one of these scores I said I want it! while I was watching the film at the cinema. Some of the best Media Ventures scores from the 90's came from Mancina (Speed, Speed 2, Bad Boys) being Bad Boys the first big hybrid of orchestra and electronics. Just ordered Mancina's Speed 2. Can't wait.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PATRICK DOYLE's Frankenstein

Damn some people are nuts! punk

And some are fruits.

Admit it, you had me in mind when you typed that. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    NP Bad Boys - Complete score (Mark Mancina)

A personal favourite from my youth, this is one of these scores I said I want it! while I was watching the film at the cinema. Some of the best Media Ventures scores from the 90's came from Mancina (Speed, Speed 2, Bad Boys) being Bad Boys the first big hybrid of orchestra and electronics. Just ordered Mancina's Speed 2. Can't wait.

Same here. I loved LOVED the score when I first heard it while watching it during the opening weekend matinee showing. When the VHS version came out, I recorded the Main Title to cassette and played it non stop.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Sometimes a normal facepalm just doesn't cut it.

Brilliant! applause lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PATRICK DOYLE's Frankenstein

Damn some people are nuts! punk

And some are fruits.

Admit it, you had me in mind when you typed that. wave

But of course!
  2. NP: Star Trek (Giacchino)

Without insulting me, could someone explain to me what I'm not getting here?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought you liked 'Enterprising Young Men'?

I like it because it's a fun action/adventure score with a very catchy main theme (brilliantly incorporated into Courage's theme in the end titles). But I guess it's not for everyone.
  3. Oh, I do like that track, and the end credits have some good explorations of the themes too. I just get a bit bored around the 15 minute mark or so... hard to explain.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Star Trek (Giacchino)

Without insulting me, could someone explain to me what I'm not getting here?

Well, I've been through both the original release and the expanded release and I still think it's in the middle of the pack when it comes down to all time great Star Trek scores. It's does have a memorable theme... it's not a GREAT theme but it's memorable. It's has a few standout tracks including "Labor Of Love" which was the best marriage of viz and music last year... yes, even better than "Married Life." The expanded release now has the complete action finale... a pretty intense 10 minutes of music there. But the rest of the unreleased cue don't really do much for me. I say there's a great 55-60 minutes album there and that's all you'd pretty much need.

On a side note... it's interesting to compare the three recent Trek expanded albums that came out in the past year or so. There are 44 cues on Giacchino's complete Trek album yet only 22 on Horner's Trek II and 15 on Trek III. It's wall-to-wall music now-a-days. I wonder if a Trek II styled film could be made these days and still be appreciated for being not just the best Trek film but a great stand alone film as well. I mean, was the snow monster chase on the Hoth planet in Trek necessary?! Why do we need constant barrages of action every 5 seconds.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    I Want To Be a Shellfish - Joe Hisaishi
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Here are some of my random thoughts based on some posts in the last 24 hours:

The Shawshank Redemption is one of (if not the) best scores of Thomas Newman's career. I hold this score in much higher esteem than the much ballyhooed Road to Perdition (which I must admit I’ve only heard twice all the way through).

Angels in America is excellent as well. There are some soaring and beautiful tracks of the same caliber as the finale tracks in Shawshank, Joe Black, Cinderella Man, etc. Some other tracks are quite weird, but no less brilliant in their own way. On the whole the album is really great. It's very big and orchestral (which is something T. Newman is so good at, but does not do very often).

Does American Beauty have any of that huge orchestral Thomas Newmany gorgeousness? I’ve heard only tracks from that score, but I have yet to be impressed by anything I’ve heard. Maybe I haven’t heard the right tracks…

Doyle's Frankenstein is a good score with great moments. I think the opening track is awesome. The love theme is wonderful.

Wah Wah is nothing like Frankenstein at all. It is the most consistently beautiful score Doyle has written that I am aware of. I can’t recommend it enough to fans of very melodic, gorgeous, wistful music. I was very very pleasantly surprised by that score. Thanks, James, for reviewing it. It was your review and nothing else that prompted me to purchase it and it is my favorite Doyle score.

There's my two cents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Couldn't agree more on your WAH-WAH comments; take note people smile

As for american beauty, no it's not big and it's not orchestral in core; it's got to be the most intimate, personal and heart-breaking score he's written for piano and moody synth veil with very light orchestra and the exception of some upbeat marimba cues. All in all, he's created a very trademarked sound with this score that was to be copied numerous times (and is still to date) from dozens of other composers.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    NP:Star Trek Deluxe Edition ( Giacchino)

I listened the whole thing, and I edited it for a 73 minutes album.

from "Hangar management" to "spock goes spulunking" there are the best action material of the whole score . And now it's finally realeased.

Now nero's and spock's theme are as important as the enterprise theme, and they are not only good, there are needed to counterpoint to this.

"hangar management", "jehosafats", "chutes and matter" and "trekking down into narada" punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar is one of the best tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar is one of the best tracks.

Mmm....really?
  5. KRULL - HORNER

So massive a score, it needs to be in big lettering. Bregt, I hereby ask you to add a 'huge' font to the layout options.

Needless to say, this is 2 discs of unrelenting orchestral and choral awesomeness.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.