• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    NP: The Tale of Despereaux - William Ross

This sort of music makes me happy to be a film score fan. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Was: Toy Story 3 - Randy Newman

Positive first impressions. Seems much more coherent than the first two. Some really fun new themes. The Spanish version of You've Got a Friend In Me by the Gypsy Kings is deliciously good.

How about the mickey mousing to actually listenable portions of music - ratio?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Now: The Karate Kid - James Horner

Just started. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Oh....I know how it will go for you James...

How do you think it went?

I think you will find a really charming score. 4 stars.

NP:The Ring (Zimmer)

Man, I don't know why I love so much this score.

The main theme is creepy and hypnotic at the same time, and the small essamble really creates a terrific soundscape.
  1. Southall wrote

Positive first impressions. Seems much more coherent than the first two. Some really fun new themes. The Spanish version of You've Got a Friend In Me by the Gypsy Kings is deliciously good.

I'm listening to this at the moment. The Gypsy Kings track is excellent and I like the way the score jumps straight into "Cowboy!", a breathless meld of Toy Story brass motifs, western-style action, twangy & rock electric guitar riffs and wordless choir - all within the first couple of minutes!!

I already had Toy Story 2 but had missed out the original score. But on hearing this third entry I just had to go back and get the original Toy Story to make the set.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

How about the mickey mousing to actually listenable portions of music - ratio?

For someone who doesn't really enjoy mickey-mousing in scores I have to say that I find the Toy Story style quite acceptable (in the same boat as Tom and Jerry!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The Happening (James Newton Howard)

Not quite as riveting as the usual Shyamalan scores, but based on an excellent thematic idea (which undergoes a real musical journey). It's hard not to think, given the core idea, some of the variations, and the resolution, that they weren't trying to recapture some of their former strength from Signs. Nonetheless, it's among James Newton Howard's best work, particularly cues like 'Be with you'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    You could care less? So you do care then?

I've never understood that saying.

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

I just like to have more of John Powell's music that was written for the movie, even if I don't care for his version of the Superman march rhythm.
  4. NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Doyle)

Just kidding, not playing now. I played the cd as part of the musical entertainment during a solo 3 and a half hour drive on Sunday. To be honest, it's a mess. The best 15 minutes would be impressive, but I get sick of having my ears bleed and most of Doyle's uninteresting thematic ideas over an hour's listening. Sometimes he can be as bad as Zimmer at making it feel like every moment of the film is a climax. The love theme is great (I replayed every track it appeared in), as is 'The Creation' (although the noise around it dilutes its impact). But putting on As You Like It afterwards was pleasant relief - that's Doyle at his best. MSF mystifies me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

It's inexplicable. Impossible to understand.

It's really "I couldn't care less."
    People commonly use it incorrectly.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

It goes with the other Thomas Newman scores I've listened to, nice but nothing special.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm watching YOU uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Panthera wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

It's inexplicable. Impossible to understand.

It's really "I couldn't care less."
    People commonly use it incorrectly.

Yes. That's right. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Happening (James Newton Howard)

Not quite as riveting as the usual Shyamalan scores, but based on an excellent thematic idea (which undergoes a real musical journey). It's hard not to think, given the core idea, some of the variations, and the resolution, that they weren't trying to recapture some of their former strength from Signs. Nonetheless, it's among James Newton Howard's best work, particularly cues like 'Be with you'.

Yeap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Doyle)

a mess. ... I get sick of having my ears bleed and most of Doyle's uninteresting thematic ideas over an hour's listening. Sometimes he can be as bad as Zimmer

dizzy

Your opinions at times truly baffle me (although I'm sure the favour is often reciprocated).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes.

Good.
    That's clear then.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Iron Man 2 (Debney)

Ivan methamorphosis
    Monaco
    Black Widow kick Ass
    Iron Man battles the drones
    Ivan Demise
    I am Iron man

Overall it's a dissapointment, It's unfocused. and when there is no action it's bland as hell but this 30 minutes are the most exiting music of the year (until now). it's my, no so humble, opinion.

I don't like very much Debney's full iron man's theme, but when it's played only the rythm it's like Conan with electric guitars and it makes me HOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Doyle)

Just kidding, not playing now. I played the cd as part of the musical entertainment during a solo 3 and a half hour drive on Sunday. To be honest, it's a mess. The best 15 minutes would be impressive, but I get sick of having my ears bleed and most of Doyle's uninteresting thematic ideas over an hour's listening. Sometimes he can be as bad as Zimmer at making it feel like every moment of the film is a climax. The love theme is great (I replayed every track it appeared in), as is 'The Creation' (although the noise around it dilutes its impact). But putting on As You Like It afterwards was pleasant relief - that's Doyle at his best. MSF mystifies me.

I'm very disappointed that you misled us into believing you were playing it at the time, but otherwise I entirely agree with your post. What a horrible, horrible album - one of the very few film score albums which has really irritated me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    uhm

Doyle's very finest hour, bar none, and it irritates not one aberrant, but two?
    Is antipodism contagious or something?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, because I agree with both Michael and James.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhhh, it's dawning on me... Doyle is Scottish!
    Let's see what Alan has to say on the matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely love that album. Same goes for WAH-WAH which i play more often.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    when it's played only the rythm it's like Conan with electric guitars and it makes me HOT.

uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhhhh, it's dawning on me... Doyle is Scottish!
    Let's see what Alan has to say on the matter.

Don't be silly, being Scottish, his opinion doesn't count.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

That's because Wah-Wah is actually really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RAMIN DJAWADI - Clash of the titans

Contains some interesting ideas (like the opening song and the 2 cues that follow it, the main title and the "Perseus" action cue). The choral work is at times impressive. It's surely his most listenable, decent work to date and miles away from the unbearable wall of noise that was IRON MAN, but after the 4th cue the repetition of the same material all over again becomes an overkill. I would however choose the afore-mentioned pieces in a custom compilation however. They're good tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's because Wah-Wah is actually really good.

Such an overlooked gem. If anyone else, more "prominent" than Doyle that score it'd become an instant favorite for everyone. It's absolutely gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    when it's played only the rythm it's like Conan with electric guitars and it makes me HOT.

uhm

Let. The sleeping dog. Lie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    WAH-WAH
    Such an overlooked gem. If anyone else, more "prominent" than Doyle that score it'd become an instant favorite for everyone. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Is it as in-your-face as Frankenstein?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never mind Frakenstein, this is the comment that has truly baffled me:

KevinSmith wrote
    The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

It goes with the other Thomas Newman scores I've listened to, nice but nothing special.

dizzy

Admittedly most of the album is probably a bit slow, especially if you haven't seen the film. But it's worth having if only for the last three tracks.