• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I prefer a thing like AVPR wich at least has more complex orchestrations.

You mean noise.

It has its moments, the expandables and Debney's predator were pure bore for me.

The expandables? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, aren't they? All of the cast eats steroids for breakfast.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. Stalone is looking insanely buff for 61 year old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outlaws - Clint Bajakian

Bajakian doing Morricone! Solid listen!

-Erik-

Tell us more please.

It's bloody brilliant. Of course people mimicking Morricone can never be the real deal, but Outlaws is fantastic. The compositions are great, but the performance perhaps sounds a bit cheap and computer-gamey. Still, I highly recommend it.

That said, listening to the music will tell you infinitely more than hearing someone describe it:

Outlaws
    The last gunfight
    Showdown

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

It doesn't get better than this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

It doesn't get better than this!

No it does not. Superb score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    WP: Heavy Metal - Elmer Bernstein

Had to go back to this one again. So much to be found in this gem! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WILLOW - James Horner

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EMPIRE OF THE SUN - John Williams

Anyone else think this is an underrated score by Williams? It's certainly not mentioned often. Either way, this is a wonderful score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd go as far as saying almost any Williams score not mentioned often is underrated. (Although admittedly I'm not very familiar with pre-70s Williams.) Empire of The Sun is definitely one of them, at least as far as this forum in concerned.

Not always an easy listen if you listen to the album all the way through, but it's a very satisfying and worthwhile score with some beautiful themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : EMPIRE OF THE SUN - John Williams

Anyone else think this is an underrated score by Williams? It's certainly not mentioned often. Either way, this is a wonderful score.

Both film and score are terribly underrated.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I haven't played Empire of the sun in decades, but am now. First three tracks are sublime. Currently on the fourth one, which is rather tensiony.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    NP : SILK - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Lovely.
  1. NP: Antony and Cleopatra (John Scott)

If Scott contributed only one thing to film music, this would be more than enough. The stirring love theme, presented in a range of settings, and the delightful 'Egyptian Bacchanal' (complete with a clear flute reference to Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade) make it for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Antony and Cleopatra (John Scott)

If Scott contributed only one thing to film music, this would be more than enough. The stirring love theme, presented in a range of settings, and the delightful 'Egyptian Bacchanal' (complete with a clear flute reference to Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade) make it for me.

Couldn't agree more. One of his best works, if not the best.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I prefer a thing like AVPR wich at least has more complex orchestrations.

You mean noise.

It has its moments, the expandables and Debney's predator were pure bore for me.

The expandables? biggrin

You know, the one where Sylvester Stallone grows into a 300-foot giant...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010 edited
    NP: Star Command - Lee Holdridge

Bizarre little sci-fi adventure score. A standard heroic theme opens up the album with a Holst's like march underneath. The rest is synth heavy... lots of atmosphere... not terrible interesting. I guest there wasn't much of a budget on this project. I don't think many will be interested in this one... especially if you already know what Holdridge is capable of as a symphonic composer. However, the 10 minute space battle music is a lot of fun and it sound like they were able to get a sizable orchestra to perform it. Not bad! There's about 13-14 minutes of listenable music from this score. Maybe I'll play a selection on the radio show so you can all hear what I'm talking about.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Guns For San Sebastian - Ennio Morricone

Classic Morricone with one helluva love theme!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    iTunes shuffled me over to this...

NP: Return of the Jedi - John Williams

Bliss!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: SpaceCamp - John Williams

Absolutely wonderful. The audio mastering is so good, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. A powerhouse Williams score, and a new favorite of mine.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Guns For San Sebastian - Ennio Morricone

Classic Morricone with one helluva love theme!

-Erik-

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Three Musketeers: Suite - Max Steiner
    Richard Kaufman conducting the Brandenburg Philharmonic

A classic swashbuckler with a great love theme and exciting dueling music! Also on this album are suites from THE KING'S THEIF (Rozsa), SCARAMOUCHE (young) and CAPTAIN BLOOD (Korngold)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010 edited
    NP: The Crow - Graeme Revell

My first listen. That string theme is good. Though it sounds like the only great thing about this score. Was the movie temp tracked with Peter Gabriel's score to The Last Temptation of Christ? I like that score, but, really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    Brainstorm - Horner

Was playing this to a friend tonight and he was quite blown away by it!
    The convergence of dissonance and harmony throughout the score fascinated him no end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Brainstorm - Horner

Was playing this to a friend tonight and he was quite blown away by it!
    The convergence of dissonance and harmony throughout the score fascinated him no end.

Your friend knows greatness when he hears it beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah! More props for Brainstorm beyotch!

cool

-Erik-
  2. One could say they were ... brainstorming.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    lp wrote
    NP: The Crow - Graeme Revell

My first listen. That string theme is good. Though it sounds like the only great thing about this score. Was the movie temp tracked with Peter Gabriel's score to The Last Temptation of Christ? I like that score, but, really?

What's wrong with Peter Gabriel's score?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Antony and Cleopatra (John Scott)

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm spinning this right now. I forgot I had it. shame What a delightful score!

-Erik-