• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    jacob groth and the millenium trilogy
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna

Cracking score! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Battle Beyond The Stars - James Horner

Early Horner score where I recognise a lot of segments / sounds in it that are being re-used in his later scores , like Krull & Aliens etc ... Love it though !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Outlaws - Clint Bajakian

Bajakian doing Morricone! Solid listen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    Battle Beyond The Stars - James Horner

Early Horner score where I recognise a lot of segments / sounds in it that are being re-used in his later scores , like Krull & Aliens etc ... Love it though !

It's a good, fun score, I believe it got him the Trek II gig.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    iTunes is on shuffle again and it looks like the app. loves me.

NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

One of Horner's greatest accomplishments! More of my thoughts HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Signs - James Newton Howard

In the scope of JNH's career, this is one of the more subtle but not really special scores compared to other scores with this director.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    KevinSmith wrote

In the scope of JNH's career, this is one of the more subtle but not really special scores compared to other scores with this director.

biggrin

I can think of a few people who might disagree. That is, almost everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outlaws - Clint Bajakian

Bajakian doing Morricone! Solid listen!

biggrin :thumbs-up:

Erik Woods wrote
    In any case, the themes from The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, The Comancheros... even The Scaphunters... irritate me

shocked :thumbs-down:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Apollo 13 (promo) - James Horner

Very first listen. Ever.
    Holy virgin Mary twirling on a barber pole! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    KevinSmith wrote

You're off your Goddamn rocker my boy! Signs IS James Newton Howard's best score! It's the best score of the past 10 years! IT"S GODDAMN BRILLIANT!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    In any case, the themes from The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, The Comancheros... even The Scaphunters... irritate me

Let me rephrase. It's hearing yet another variation of the Mag Seven theme that irritates me (but I do eventually enjoy them for what they are. It's like Horner doing his annoying Horner lifts. Maybe the word is frustrating rather than irritating.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Very first listen. Ever.

Er... first listen of the promo, or first listen of the score? uhm

If it's the latter, I will personally come to The Netherlands and slap you.
    I shit you not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm with Kevin.
    It's an OK listen, but I enjoy most all of his other scores for Shyamalamadingdong better as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I'm with Kevin.
    It's an OK listen, but I enjoy most all of his other scores for Shyamalamadingdong better as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very first listen. Ever.

I shit you not.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I shit you not.

The latter.
    Looking forward to your visit. Finally getting Steven to join an MT minimeet.
    I will invite Jordi and Justin and William so we can have a slapfest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I'm with Kevin.

Martijn, defender of the underdogs! knight
  1. Steven wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

biggrin

I can think of a few people who might disagree. That is, almost everyone.

Seconded.

J.N.H. has not done better. "Signs" = EPIC WIN
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I shit you not.

The latter.
    Looking forward to your visit. Finally getting Steven to join an MT minimeet.
    I will invite Jordi and Justin and William so we can have a slapfest.

Jesus titty fucking Christ on a bloody pole! shocked shocked

You... I... I'm... er... I'm at a loss for words!?
    I think this might be a first...

...seriously?? C'mon, pull the other one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I shit you not.

The latter.

OMG! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Is it so odd I never was enticed by a pop song/dialogue-ridden score?
    I was waiting for a proper release, and now I found the promo, I'm very happy with it.
    VERY happy indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Is it so odd I never was enticed by a pop song/dialogue-ridden score?
    I was waiting for a proper release, and now I found the promo, I'm very happy with it.
    VERY happy indeed!

I wouldn't say the dialogue plagues the score and rather acts as rather nice introductions to some of the cues (most agree that the dialogue plagues the album, but I beg to differ). The dialogue pieces before the liftoff cue and the final two cues actually improve the experience for me. I inter-mix these with the promo, and I have myself an excellent album. So I'd give that a try just to see what you think. If it's a no, fair enough... you wouldn't be the only one.

Still, if ever we meet, remind me to strike you for this unforgivable act of negligence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No thanks. The promo will do me just fine (even though the sound quality isn't the best...I guess it's a boot rather than a promo. slant )
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

You're off your Goddamn rocker my boy! Signs IS James Newton Howard's best score! It's the best score of the past 10 years! IT"S GODDAMN BRILLIANT!

-Erik-

I love the score, one of JNH's best, but I disagree when it comes to where you put it in his career. I prefer The Village and regard this as his best score. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    No thanks. The promo will do me just fine (even though the sound quality isn't the best...I guess it's a boot rather than a promo. slant )

I have the promo is it's sounds just fine!

-Erik-
  3. Martijn wrote

What? I think the sound quality on the promo is great!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Really? Won't even give them a small tiny chance?

As I said, they serve as intros to the cues and, in my opinion, set the drama up in a very effective way - certainly without getting in the way of the music. (Enjoying them as pieces of music and "souvenirs" of the film, or indeed the general context of Apollo 13.) I don't see what's so bad about that? It's not as though they play over the music which would admittedly be annoying.

Also, there are better versions out there for sound quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

-Erik-

I don't think it's his best, but "not really special", even when comparing it to his other Shyamalan scores, is as great an injustice as calling the Himalayas "mildly impressive."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Really? Won't even give them a small tiny chance?

No.